Wedding gown as carry on.

mark&christa

We are flying on AA in February, we are getting married on St Thomas. Can we carry on the gown? Is there a closet to hang it in on the plane? Thanx for your help.

You will need to get to the airport early enough to be at the gate when the gate agents first show up (usually an hour pre flight). Tell the gate agents about your dress. ASK NICELY if they can make arrangements to hang your dress up.

Some of AA's planes no longer have closets large enough for much more than the FA luggage. So it becomes a bit of a problem, especially in February. First class passengers are ENTITLED (just part of flying first class) to have their jackets hung up. In February, there will be winter coats from first class that go in the closet. So room may be VERY tight.

You will have to make nice with the gate agents. Otherwise, be the last one to board and lay your gown out flat in the overhead ON TOP of everyone else's luggage. Good luck!!!

Why not call AA now and ask them how this is handled? Will save disappointment the day your travel. At least you'll know how to do it.

It is handled by the gate agents. I can almost guarantee you will get two or three different answers by the CSR phone reps. Once the plane goes to airport control (usually an hour or two pre flight), it is all up to the gate agents. They in turn will make arrangements with the FA IF they feel there is sufficient space in the closest(s) or are making nice (which often happens with brides).

That may be true but the airline policies change rapidly...

Not when it comes to stuff like this. The inside of the planes are the domain of the gate agents and FA. There is NO room on most AA planes for garment bags. After the FA put their luggage in the closet and first class jackets/coats are taken care of, there truly is no more room as a general rule. Since this is a special occasion dress, it will be imperative to address this issue with the gate agents, who in turn, will take it up with the FA.

I fly AA an awful lot (over 100,000 miles per year). See people all the time with their garment bags. 95% of them end up wadded up into the overheads. They DO NOT get hung up WITHOUT the permission of the gate agents and FA, UNLESS you are flying first class.

Greatam is right; there may be no space for your dress. Even if this happens, you can have your dress pressed when you arrive. Also, look into the option of shipping your dress ahead of time, and not taking it with you on the flight.

Plan to have your dress ironed when you arrive St.Thomas.

Given it is winter time, the tiny closet in F would be full of winter coats - even if your dress can be hang there - it would be squashed by all the coats that are being squeezed in.

My suggestion is, carefully wrap your dress with layers of soft tissue paper, then fold it loosely and place it in a cardboard box that is roomy enough that the dress does not need to be squeezed in. Take this as your carry-on, explain to the GA it is wedding gown inside and ask NICELY if GA can inform FA to find an overhead bin ahead of general boarding to store it.

On another note, why anyone doubts Greatam's posts are beyond me.

I asked some FA's on a recent flight. One showed me the only closet which is in First Class. It is not a full length closet. At best if the gown were hung, at least a third of it would be forced to lay on the floor or on top of carry on bags.

The closet is also fairly shallow front to back. There is no room for a full skirt.

The one who showed me the closet said that with the new baggage fees people will be trying to carry on more stuff. Another option should be considered for a valuable and important gown.

This is not an usual situation. They have women show up with gowns in bags quite often. The usual outcome is disappointment.

There also is absolutely no promise of getting an entire overhead bin all to oneself for such a gown. The other passengers won't put up with that.

I recently left my job as a FA in one of those small jets that basically are used as commuter planes, but we did service major hubs like Atlanta, Philadelphia, etc. Our storage closet was tiny, and in many cases the crew bags were stored in it as well.

However, when I had a bride-to-be bring on her dress, I did my best to hang it up for her. If the dress was long, I would fold the bottom portion of it and lay it on top of the luggage. Usually the dresses come on wrapped in clear plastic protection, which helps. Most FAs will try to find a space for it. If my pilot's coats were already hanging and I didn't have "room" for the dress, I would take the pilot's coat down, fold it neatly and lay it across the top of crew bags.

I've never had a brides-to-be come on the plane and demand their gown be hung up or that I take care of it. They have always asked me respectfully, "Is it possible for you to hang my dress?" If I absolutely could not accommodate her, then the next best thing would be to have her lay the dress on top of all the suitcases in the overhead bin. It will have less chance to get wadded or wrinkled that way primarily because there will be little room.

Oh, I forgot to add that the previous posters are correct when they said the gate agents can made the decision about bringing on the gown. Most agents will try their best to assist you. But do remember to be respectful, not demanding.

Good luck on your dress and congratulations. Have a great wedding!!:)

If you remember this thread after you get back from your wedding, write and let us about what happened.:D

Archived