What kind of documentation...

MamaParrotHead

Do I need to carry my son's medication (epipen and battery powered nebulizer with Albuterol ampules) on an aircraft? We haven't purchased our air yet, so I can't contact the carrier, but I wondered if just some sort of physician's statement would be sufficient. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks.

May I suggest you take a prescription along with you? Not only will this serve as documentation, but in case you lose the apparatus or drug, it will enable you to quickly replace it.

Paul

Agree; never check anything you can't afford to lose. This should be no problem, but carrying a prescription and keeping your medication in original containers with the labels on them, is always a good idea.

Do I need to carry my son's medication (epipen and battery powered nebulizer with Albuterol ampules) on an aircraft? We haven't purchased our air yet, so I can't contact the carrier, but I wondered if just some sort of physician's statement would be sufficient. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks.

As a diabetic, I need to carry lancets, tester etc. I just obtained a letter (on my doc's letterhead) stating it is ok to carry these and always take on board.

Also, I am required to use a particular "liquid" medication and it only comes in 16 ounces. That too, I have a letter on from my doc.

I keep them in separte ziplock baggies with the letter, hold it up to the TSA before I go through the scanner and say "claiming over 3 oz" and haven't had a problem. Actually, the TSA has NEVER looked to see what it even is!!

Chesie

PS Bring all meds in their original containers if possible. That way if you need to get it refilled for any reason, they have "brand" and "generic" names. Most european cities don't have the same drugs as the US.

• 9 months later...

Just double checking to see if anyone else had any advice on this. He recently started other liquid meds that I don't want to check through, but come in containers over 3 oz. size. Oh yes, and we did book our air, we're flying Delta (if that makes any difference). Input?

The inspecting agent will be TSA and not Delta. It does not matter which airline you take. If you check the ever changing TSA website it will clearly (or as clearly as any government agency) state what is allowed. Meds are generally permitted. I carry a doctors letter and every med in a labeled bottle. My pharmacist has also provided labeled containers in smaller sizes so that I do not have to carry the full prescriptions when I am traveling for a short cruise or flight.

For those who will recommend you do not need to do all this I say phooey. Tis better to be safe than sorry and there are airports where the TSA agents are quite aggressive and argumentative. If you do it according to their rules - and sometimes I even have a copy on me too - you will not have a problem.

The airlines don't set the policy, TSA does. Although TSA is supposed to have uniform policy and procedures, I find there is no rhyme or reason to how relaxed or stringent inspections will be when I travel. I would err on the side of caution and carry prescriptions in their original, labeled containers (I believe that's a DEA law anyway) or at least with a doctor's note. It's a lot more important for international travel. As long as that's in place it's very unlikely you will be hassled for security or contraband reasons.

Even 20 years ago it was always recommended to never put prescriptions or anything else in your checked bags that you can't afford to be without.

It sounds like your son has acute allergic reactions. FYI if his Epi-pen is in the checked luggage there is NO way to access it inflight. Most inflight med kits are very basic on airlines in the US and will probably not have what he needs. (There was a recent thread where a doctor happened to have Epi in his kit; the airline didn't carry any).

HTH

I recommend, as do others that you carry a Doctor's letter. If you explain to a TSA supervisor it should ease passage thru their portals.

I always carry a Glucagon Emergency Kit for low blood sugar, a honkin' big syringe, & have never been questioned about it...It must be similar to an Epi-pen.

Steve

Archived