Anchorage Activities and advise

JDJJ

We are on Carnival and will get into Whitter at about 7am; have their transfere to Anchorage with a plane that does not leave till 7pm. Any suggestions on what to do that day in Anchorage; will have a 13 and 15 year old with us. Thanks.

hello, i'm confused by your posting... more info please, perhaps I can give you some suggestions..

How much time do you have in Anchorage before your transfer to whittier?

We are going from Whitter to Anchorage via a Carnival transfere. Since we can get off the boat around 8am and have an hour ride to Anchorage we likely won't be there till shortly before noon. We do not fly out till 7pm, so we have a long afternoon in Anchorage. Thanks.

Hi,

If I had teenagers in tow, and no car, I would take a taxi to downtown and visit the 'Saturday Market' which runs Saturday and Sunday, has free local entertainment in an outdoor flee market type environment. That would kill 2 hours tops, then walk down the hill to ship creek and watch the local 'combat fishing' for salmon. If watching fishing or walking isn't there thing, there's always the local 'diamond mall'. Before flying home for a great place to eat with teenagers not far from the airport is the Sour Dough Mining Company, with plenty of room for them to explore along creek and grounds, and possibly see salmon in the creeks. For a buffet good for the $ is the fairly new Golden Corral. Skip the zoo. I know many have other will have suggestions too. (PS: there's a great museum in downtown Anchorage, but my kids would groan at that age, perhaps yours are different.. .)

Downtown Anchorage has plenty to keep you occupied. http://www.anchorage.net in the past their visitor guide had a walking tour map includede?

With a ship bus transfer, you may not be on your way as soon as you think. They will load those buses according to flight times, and there will be plenty before you. Don't take an airport bus, but a downtown bus. This will drop at the Egan Center, where they will store your bags. Allow 2 hours at Anchorage airport, so be ready to leave by 4:30pm. Your transfer should include this, but verify.

Archived