Help! - Buy cabin and TA says I lose my OBC

golfergal

I've only cruised NCL once several years ago, so I'm not really up on how NCL works on some things.

Our final payment is due tomorrow and since it is now seeming a reality, I've started researching. We decided that we wanted to buy-up to a bigger suite and priced out about what the difference would be. Our cruise pricing has remained basically the same since booking, so I figured that would be pretty close. It is only $200 difference based on rates and TA says I can do it for $254. Since I booked with a price competition offer, I wasn't surprised that it wasn't exactly $200 and we are OK with $254.

So I asked to be safe, whether it impacts our $200 OBC. Well, she says it does. Her responses to several questions lead me to believe she is a little green. That said, maybe she is still right. Is she? Do I really lose my OBC if I buy-up a level or two?

I'm having another issue with them and we may just cancel and rebook elsewhere anyhow, but I at least want to know if this is a second problem with them. That will seal the faith and remove the $200 price difference in moving. I'm willing to cough up the $75 cancellation fee for piece of mind.

Thanks for your help!

I'm going to assume your original booking offered an OBC of $200. which was offered by the TA not NCL? For clarification I would ask to speak to their supervisor - unless they are saying in order to book the higher cabin you lose the first booking and the OBC with it (as it may not be offered now?) Might be a pain to deal with but I'd ask to speak with someone more knowledgeable or who can at least explain it to your satisfaction. Is it an online TA? or a real face person?

I'm not 100%, but I think it was an NCL OBC as I could get the offer from several TAs as well. It was back in February, so I don't remember exactly. But I know I factored it into several of the pricing options we had with other TAs.

Unfortunately, it is an online TA. We've only used only TAs for years as we do all the research on our own and just get the cruise we decided on priced.

I already asked to talk to her supervisor as we have a whole other issue to deal with. Just want to understand if this is typical or yet another strike against them. Not sure I can remember a time that we changed our cabin selection after deposit.

Thanks!

We lost a OBC by changing cabins. I noticed that on the updated itin that the OBC was gone. When I called, I was informed that basically the original cruise is virtually cancelled, and new cabin is a "new booking" therefore the OBC is lost.

What I have noticed that you really aren't getting anything with a OBC. Usually the price is higher - equivalent to the credit amount. So a cruise without an OBC is usually dollar for dollar the same price once you the price with and without the OBC.

Thanks everyone. Is that the case if I do it after final payment too?

As for the OBC versus a discount that isn't really the case here. I booked for $15 more than the best deal I found anywhere (with and without an OBC). I search 50 to 100 sites and used a site that allows you to get several competing offers. So I was still ahead $185.

I am familiar with the OBC you are talking about and this was offered by NCL and not a TA offer. If you cancel, the OBC, does not transfer to your new booking. You had mentioned that you would be have a $75.00 cancel fee. If you are not within final payment with NCL there is no cancellation fee, on the cruise portion of the trip. If you are within cancellation then depending on how close to your cruise the stiffer the penalty.

Thanks everyone! I was just hoping that buying up a cabin wouldn't be a whole cancellation. I'm within NCL's cancellation, but the agency has a $75 fee if I outright cancel. There is probably a charge also built in for the change hence the $254, instead of the flat $200 difference.

It may be moot as the TA is saying that my record doesn't even show the OBC anymore. She said I was given a rate reduction about 15 days after deposit and so the OBC was taken back to get the lower rate. That is news to me as they never communicated that to me and if my rate is really $345 lower as she says, I'm fine with it. Problem is that she is quoting me the same total as the rate I originally booked with the $200 OBC. So either way something is wrong as I should either have the OBC or the lower rate. At the moment they are saying I have neither.

At this point, I'm inclinced to cancel and rebook with someone else. I can cut most of my loss for the OBC. Plus if I'm patient and a bit daring, I could rebook Thursday with the 1 day sale and maybe do better as it will be after final payment is due for our cruise.

If a lower rate was put into place, then the cost to upgrade would of course go up.

No matter what you think, the OBC is factored into the price. SOMEBODY has to come up with that $200. Folks think that is some no cost perk like VIP boarding or something. Wrong. It is REAL money that has to come from somewhere.

As to the person that asked, what happens if after final payment. Hint - it does not get BETTER.

Bottom line - upgrades, even paid for are usually a hassle with NCL.

PS - What suite are you moving from and to?

Garycarla - I know the OBC is factor in to the price, just not saying I built that into my comparison of TAs and I didn't pay more on the cruise to get the OBC. My additional out of pocket for the upgrade is $254 based on the TA so they have taken into account whatever they think my final total is.

Yeah, I am learning that whole upgrade thing is a pain with NCL. I'm not evening thinking about cabin selection after this is figured out. Our final payment is today, so I'm not looking to drag it on and wait and see at the end. Just maybe today to Thursday.

We are in an AE and want to move to an AC on the Gem. The AE deck is pitiful in my opinion. We fully understand the issues with the forward suites and are comfortable that our balcony needs will be met even with double doors, closed curtain, no use in high wind issues.

Thanks!

Archived