I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

Thanks for the websites, Danish Viking, they sure helps in answering our questions on transportation.

Are there any supermarkets in the area around Tivoli hotel or in the Fisketorvet shopping mall? Do the mall open on Sundays? What are the mall hours? We enjoy visiting the supermarkets and try the local food and drinks.

Thanks again!

There is a fairly large supermarked located in Fisketorvet called Føtex and they has a kind of deli and own bakery and butcher.

To explain the sunday opening hours for the next year is a little bit difficult but i will try.

All shops are now allowed to be open from 10 to 17 on sundays 30 time a year and open until 20:00 on saturdays.

But this new Lukkelov (Closing law) is only a few months old and so far Føtex and the rest of the shops in Fisketorvet still closes at 17:00 on saturdays but im guessing that they will expand their opening hours next year.

But if i should make a qualified guess it will look like this.

Open the first and last sunday in every month and the last 4 sundays before christmas + 4 to 6 free slots maybe located in the summer months.

On saturdays they will have open to atleast 18:00 but i'm not sure if they will keep it going to 20:00.

If others are reading this i'm guessing that the shops in downtown Copenhagen will have the same opening hours.

But remember that sunday june 5th is constitution day so everything is closed

Dear Danish Viking,

Thank you so much for all your help and expertise. We had a wonderful time and were able to spend 6 fantastic hours with my Danish relatives in Graasten.

To all who will be visiting Copenhagen, we were on a Baltic cruise (RCCL's Vision of the Seas, Aug. 28-Sept. 4 to Tallinn, St. Petersburg, Helsinki, and Stockholm) and spent an extra 3 days in Copenhagen after the cruise. If you have any questions that I can answer, I will be happy to do so.

We stayed in the Hotel Nebo, located directly behind the central train station. When we left, the first thing out of my husband's mouth was, "I'd stay there again!" The location is perfect, the desk folks are cheery and helpful, we slept like babies, a NICE breakfast was included in our room price---it was great for us. The doors are thin and noises can be heard, but either most of our neighbors were sympathetic or we were very tired, but we slept well. We were in room 431---high up and in the back. We had booked a standard double with bathroom (shower) and breakfast buffet through www.hotel-rates.com. We booked it non-refundable since it was so much cheaper. The price was $100.58/night, with taxes it came to $377.19 for the three nights. Taxes in Denmark are high and inescapable.

Let me know if you have questions. Everyone (most of all Danish Viking) helped me so much before our trip.

Paula

There is a fairly large supermarked located in Fisketorvet called Føtex and they has a kind of deli and own bakery and butcher.

To explain the sunday opening hours for the next year is a little bit difficult but i will try.

All shops are now allowed to be open from 10 to 17 on sundays 30 time a year and open until 20:00 on saturdays.

But this new Lukkelov (Closing law) is only a few months old and so far Føtex and the rest of the shops in Fisketorvet still closes at 17:00 on saturdays but im guessing that they will expand their opening hours next year.

But if i should make a qualified guess it will look like this.

Open the first and last sunday in every month and the last 4 sundays before christmas + 4 to 6 free slots maybe located in the summer months.

On saturdays they will have open to atleast 18:00 but i'm not sure if they will keep it going to 20:00.

If others are reading this i'm guessing that the shops in downtown Copenhagen will have the same opening hours.

But remember that sunday june 5th is constitution day so everything is closed

Thanks, Danish Viking! Hopefully they will close late on Sundays when we arrive. :)

how did the train trip go, i understand that there were some track repair but did it effect your trip.

The train trip went well after we emailed DSB and got an English translation of the booking pages. We were even able to book the orange (nonrefundable/nonchangeable) tickets and save about 50%.:)

As it turned out, we only took the train from Copenhagen to Odense (about 90 min.) and back. A cousin picked us up in Odense and drove us to Graasten---another 90 minutes each way.

The train ride was wonderful---no track repairs on our leg. We went through a long tunnel and over a bridge to cross the Great Belt between Zealand and Funen. And the four of us had seats facing each other over a table, although they were numbered 71, 72, 73 and 78!?:confused: Be sure to reserve seats, especially on Fridays and Sundays.

Thanks for all your help, D.V.

Paula

Wildly off-topic post, I'm sorry:

There is a historical reason for the odd seat numbering of the seats on some European trains. The system dates back from before computerized booking systems, where there was some kind of logic behind it making it more simple for reservation employees to book seats for one, two, three or four people travelling together and ensuring that they could sit together and that remaining seats were kept together to accommodate further reservations. Also keeping seat free for longer journeys was crucial. Mind you, allocating seats on a train is much more complicated than allocating seats on an aircraft because of the many stops a train makes en route loading on and off passengers. The tricky bit is to ensure that you always or for as long as possible keep some seats free all the way from start to destination. Therefore, it is important once a seat is booked for a small portion of the journey, that the train company tries to book that seat for the remainder of the journey instead of booking a whole new seat where a booking could have fit in in a remaining part of a seat already partially booked. This is of course in order to fill seats up in the most economical and profitable way. Before computers this was a complicated task and the railway had systems to ensure that some optimizing guidelines were followed. Now, it's all done by computers of course. Long story short: the seat numbering scheme was part of that system and has been kept on some european trains just because this was what the employees were used to.

Thanks for starting to answer my question. It seems like you had mentioned a store for kitchen gadgets(equipment) that was near the cruise port. With limited space, it will be hard to take anything large. I would not take anything breakable, so linens or small items would be fun to look at for gifts.

The two piers are not close together, but you can walk to both bus and train stops from each.

From Mon. to Fri., there is a public bus #26 that can be taken between the those two piers as well as into city center and other tourist sites. You might want to consider using it instead of the Hop on/off bus. Once in city center, it is a very walkable city.

There is also a train stop/station near both piers, but not as close as the bus stops. The train is available on week-ends.

We need to find transportation from the port to hotel near Tivoli. Is it practical to take a bus with our luggage, or should we use a taxi?

We did the reverse, from the hotel near Tivoli to the Freeport pier. It was a Thursday, so we did the bus 26. Worked great.

I'm sure a taxi would have been more convenient, but I think we saved some bucks. And as expensive as Copenhagen is ($8 for a cup of coffee at Starbucks, no thanks!) saving money is a good thing.

@ WitchyTraveller

There is not a shuttle service to your hotel but the Metro goes directly from the airport to Kongens Nytorv that is located near your hotel.

The CPH Card will cover the transportation to Roskilde but no entrance to the museum.

But remember that there will be a extra charge if you use the Intercity train to and from Roskilde, so just use the regional trains heading for Kalundborg, Holbæk, Ringsted, N?stved and Nykøbing F.

• 3 weeks later...

My husband and I will be traveling with our ten year old daughter in June. We will arrive in the early afternoon and our ship leaves the next evening. Would you suggest a hotel and ideas for what to see during our short visit? I understand the city is expensive but we are to keep costs down a bit.

Thanks in advance for your help.

My husband and I will be traveling with our ten year old daughter in June. We will arrive in the early afternoon and our ship leaves the next evening. Would you suggest a hotel and ideas for what to see during our short visit? I understand the city is expensive but we are to keep costs down a bit.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Try the Hotel Bethel, it gets good review on TripAdvisor: http://www.hotel-bethel.dk/ it is in the best area Nyhavn right on the canal and is reasonable but you may have left it too late. You should take a canal ride and a ho ho bus.

Som

Archived