I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

[quote=Danish viking;2815383

@ sansterre

The ferry between Helsingør and Helsingborg is actually a detour even though its located north of Copenhagen.

The train schedule i posted is going under and over the Öresund Fixed Link between copenhagen and Malmö and also the new City tunneln in Malmö.

The prices are here

I just choose a friday in april but you can change it to your prefered date.

http://www.sj.se/travel/booktravel/timetable.form

Taks a mika! You must think I am fluent in Swedish or Danish :D The site might as well be in Chinese:confused:

If there is an area to click to take me to English, please let me know as it does seem to be a site with all the info I need.

Meanwhile I will call my relatives (hmmmm, probably tomorrow am as I think you folks are 6 or 7 hours ahead of us) and see if they are as excited to see me as I am to see them!

Another question, if you know - is Summer Solstice celebrated in Denmark? How about in northern Norway where we will be on June 21st?

Hello again Danish Viking

I need a little more help with the S-train schedule. I am planning to take it back to Freeport terminal at night after visiting Tivoli. You told me to get off at Nordhavn Station but what is the name of the station to get on at near Tivoli. Am trying to find timetable for August 2nd. Also do you know if the ticket machines are in english and do you have to have exact amount of money ?

Thanks again for all your time and advice

My husband and are are staying near the train station and plan to walk to the cruise port with our luggage (one rolling bag each), are we crazy? We love to walk and others have said its a beautiful walk, and can't figure out another way to do it without our bags. We are on the Sun leaving Sept 2nd (of course if its raining we won't walk!).

Also, when getting off the ship on Sept 11th, are there taxis waiting at the port, or should we try to order one ahead of time? There doesn't seem to be as many shuttle services as there are in Rome and we need to get to the airport fairly quickly.

Thanks!

I am hearing that there will be a big physicians convention in Copenhagen early in June. I am hearing that some cruisers are not able to find hotel rooms. We are fine. However, it will probably also impact Tivoli. Do you know the dates for the doctor convention? We will be there June 3 then again on June 15. Trying to decide which evening to plan Tivoli.

@ sansterre

Haha i think that you was trying to say "tack so mycket" but that is swedish, the danish version would be "mange tak".

The link is now inactive but i pushed on the english flag to get the english version but i would try again.

http://www.sj.se/start/startpage/index.form?l=en

Summer Solstice (called Sankt Hans) is held at the 23 of june with bonfires and everything.

@ jayfan

The station next to Tivoli is called København H (The Central Station) and the timetable is here.

http://www.dsb.dk/Global/PDF/Koereplaner/S-tog/Alle%20linjer.pdf

The white/light grey departures is only running monday to friday (-late in the night and a few hours on saturdays.

On public holidays the trains are running on the sunday schedule.

@ mrspaper

Skjold Burne Vinhandel is located next to Kongens Nytorv metrostation

Østergade 1

1100 København K

@ OregonGal56

The walking time is around 60 minutes to the freeport terminal but Nordhavn S-train station is located 10 minutes on foot from the freeport terminal.

Just take a S-train from track 9 and 10 and you will be in Nordhavn in 8 minutes.

http://map.krak.dk/m/IyuhF

@ MamaDy

As you can see on this calendar they are not showing any congresses on this date but maybe this congress is not listed so to answer your question i don´t know anything about it.

http://bellacenter.dk/English

Tivoli Congress Center doesn´t show anything at all.

http://www.tivolicongresscenter.com/

Mange tak Danish Viking!

I didn't see the flags for language but will try the site again tonight.

Good news - my cousin (third or fourth cousin) is excited to see us and said they will go to Falkenberg to pick us up at the train station. She is also going to call her cousin who has a RV business there to see if we can have a reunion there. :-)

Now I only need to talk my husband into this adventure!

Thanks again Danish Viking. You have settled so many concerns. When you use the ATM to get cash, are the prompts available in English? If not can you give us the common Danish words and their meaning? Thanks again!:confused:

Hello Danish viking,

We (six seniors) are planning to stay at the Marriott Hotel located at Kalvebod Brysse 5 in Copenhagen. My quesations is: from the Marriott, is it walkable (and safe) to Tivoli Garden, City Square (Radhuspladsen), Stroget and to Nyhavn area. Since we have only one and half days to visit Copenhagen, and do you have any other sites we should visit while in those (or other) area? Appreicate your insights. Thanks.

xlixer

@ GulfCoastCruiser

I´m really not an expert on hotels but try tripadviser and see what the judgement of the hotel is.

@ KerbyTex

Yes atleast in English, French, German and Spanish.

@ xlixer

This part of Copenhagen is generally safe but you never know for sure.

For other sights to see i would go to the national museum is located close to Mariott and the entrance is free.

I arrive 28 hours before my cruise. At the airport I plan to get the Copenhagen Card and take the train to Central Station then walk two blocks to my hotel. I will go to Tivoli, take the Canal boat ride, see the Royal palace and the Red Tower. Is it worth it for me to purchase the Copenhagen Card?

Mange tak Danish Viking!

I didn't see the flags for language but will try the site again tonight.

Good news - my cousin (third or fourth cousin) is excited to see us and said they will go to Falkenberg to pick us up at the train station. She is also going to call her cousin who has a RV business there to see if we can have a reunion there. :-)

Now I only need to talk my husband into this adventure!

Danish Viking,

Thank you for:

http://www.sj.se/start/startpage/index.form?l=en

Would you suggest first class or second class (don't mind paying more if it is different/nicer in some way). Are the prices in Euros? Should I pay a little more to take the faster train (only 15 minutes)? Is the faster train a newer, more comfortable train, or makes fewer stops?

There are several trains but some seem to be unavailable- perhaps sold out?). It also says that cheaper rates will be posted 90 days in advance....for us that would be around March 12. Should I wait until then or do you think all the seats may be sold out for June 10th?

I'm also wondering if these are refundable should our dockage be delayed for some reason. IF the prices are in Euro, it is more expensive that the prices to Legoland. There are 3 prices listed and I'm not sure what the difference is - something about refundable I think. It seems like the printing is abbreviated, or not completely showing on my screen.

Mange tak!

@ ConnieInNewJersey

Do you by The Red Tower mean the Round Tower????

I would try to calculate with the Round Tower

I used the calculator on Visit Copenhagens website and You will save atleast 82 DKK on the 24 hour card (not including the small discount on the canal boat tour)

You can try for yourself here.

http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/tourist/what_to_see_and_do/copenhagen_card_calculator

But i think that the calculater uses the price for the 24 transportation card that covers the entire capital area, this card cost 130 DKK

The card that you will use is the City Pass that covers central Copenhagen, Frederiksberg and the island of Amager where the airport is located.

This card cost 70 DKK so the savings would only be 22 instead of 82 DKK but that is still a saving :-)

@ ConnieInNewJersey

Do you by The Red Tower mean the Round Tower????

I would try to calculate with the Round Tower

I used the calculator on Visit Copenhagens website and You will save atleast 82 DKK on the 24 hour card (not including the small discount on the canal boat tour)

You can try for yourself here.

http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/tourist/what_to_see_and_do/copenhagen_card_calculator

But i think that the calculater uses the price for the 24 transportation card that covers the entire capital area, this card cost 130 DKK

The card that you will use is the City Pass that covers central Copenhagen, Frederiksberg and the island of Amager where the airport is located.

This card cost 70 DKK so the savings would only be 22 instead of 82 DKK but that is still a saving :-)

Yes I did mean the Round Tower. Thank you !!!!

@ sansterre

First the prices are in Swedish kroner and the value of the swedish krone is lower than the danish krone so you have to take off around 20% of the price to get the price in danish kroner.

On the first price the departure is fixed and can not be cancelled or rebooked.

The middle price can be rebooked but not cancelled.

The last price is the standard fare and can both be rebooked and cancelled.

I can see that the first class tickets is only 90 SEK more expensive and that one will give you a seat reservation but also more comfy seats.

The seach engine can´t find Østerport but if you purchase the ticket from København H (Copenhagen H) its also valid from Østerport.

Note that the train departs from Østerport at XX:24 and not at XX:33 that is the departure time from København H.

I would wait to march 12th to purchase the ticket because the cheap tickets can sell out atleast one month before and after that its the regular tickets left.

@ sansterre

First the prices are in Swedish kroner and the value of the swedish krone is lower than the danish krone so you have to take off around 20% of the price to get the price in danish kroner.

On the first price the departure is fixed and can not be cancelled or rebooked.

The middle price can be rebooked but not cancelled.

The last price is the standard fare and can both be rebooked and cancelled.

I can see that the first class tickets is only 90 SEK more expensive and that one will give you a seat reservation but also more comfy seats.

The seach engine can´t find Østerport but if you purchase the ticket from København H (Copenhagen H) its also valid from Østerport.

Note that the train departs from Østerport at XX:24 and not at XX:33 that is the departure time from København H.

I would wait to march 12th to purchase the ticket because the cheap tickets can sell out atleast one month before and after that its the regular tickets left.

Dear informative Danish Viking,

Ah! I just returned from a second look at the site and now understand the three columns. (There was an area to click for explanation, but you did it better above!) I put in a reservation for first class at 10:30 with a return at 6:30 (approximate time) and it came to 1608 SEK which I know realize is Swedish Krona. I have no idea how many dollars that is - do you happen to know how many Danish Krona in the US Dollar? If not, not to worry - I can Google the Swedish Krona.

I will wait til the 12th and see what happens to the prices.

I noticed the more expensive train, the one that is faster has a transfer in Halsted so I will stay away from that one!

But I was also surprised to see that if I want to be assured of a seat on the train, I pay an additional 58SEK per person. Will determine how much money that really is to see if it is worthwhile. I'm thinking I should do that because we are mid sixties and standing for nearly 3 hours would not be fun. Any thoughts on that?

Also am still confused about the train stations. Which train station will I be starting from? Is it far from the cruise ship dock? Wonder why that train station isn't on the search engine:confused:

Here is a map of the route from Langelinie pier to Østerport.

http://map.krak.dk/m/IyjcA

58 SEK equals 8,68 USD

1608 SEK equals 240,57 USD

Or to be precise 1 SEK is 0,15 USD

1 DKK is 0,19 USD

The ticket price of 1608 SEK equals 1296.85 DKK so its not that expensive to travel in first class in Sweden.

Here is a map of the route from Langelinie pier to Østerport.

http://map.krak.dk/m/IyjcA

58 SEK equals 8,68 USD

1608 SEK equals 240,57 USD

Or to be precise 1 SEK is 0,15 USD

1 DKK is 0,19 USD

The ticket price of 1608 SEK equals 1296.85 DKK so its not that expensive to travel in first class in Sweden.

The map is great and it looks like about 10 blocks which surely is walkable in the a.m. without luggage. Do you agree it is about 10 city blocks? (Map could be deceiving and what I think is a block is much larger.) What about after dark at night? Is it safe?

Of course, we could be docked further North in the port I suppose. If it is much more than 10 blocks, I would need a taxi.

The exchange rate you quoted is better than mine. I suppose that changes daily. I got 1600 SEK = 255 US$. The guaranteed seat in first class works out to be nearly $10. Should we take a risk of standing the entire trip? With a bad knee, I'm thinking a guaranteed seat is worth 58 SEK.

Will be interesting to see what happens to the prices on March 12. Also the exchange rate - hmmmm.

Are you sure the O station will accept a Kopenhagen ticket? Might we need to pay more? Will the same train go to the K station and then on? Would we need to change trains? I seem to recall the rail station is south of town, toward the airport.

"Tak" for helping us with this adventure!

It is the same train that departs from

Østerport and both Østerport and København H is located in the same fare zone.

If you zoom out of the map you will be able to see København H a few miles to the south.

The walk to Østerport should take around 10-15 and it is a very expensive area of the town so it's a quiet and calm area except for the cruise ships :-)

Archived