I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

That depends on the number of luggage, if you can have some luggage under the seats then i think you are okay with 2 big vans.

Danish Viking-Are the taxi vans easy to get at the airport, or would we need to reserve one?

Terry--Your pictures are gorgeous! What lens did you find yourself shooting the most with on this trip? I am still fairly new to the DSLR world, but I am thinking that I can't go wrong with my Nikkor 55-300 on the camera body and the Sigma 10-20 in the camera bag(or vice versa?).

All the advice here is so helpful in planning our trip! Thanks!:)

@ jcwong

1) The train goes directly from the airport to København H (central station)

2) Downtown Copenhagen (Indre By) is located on the other side of the central station.

3) If you take a northbound S-train from track 9-10 from København H to Nordhavn you can walk from there to the ship.

@ delmom18

Lund, Malmö and Helsingborg is reachable by train (and ferry+ train)

Going to Legoland is a little bit more tricky but i took a random wednesday.

06:50 København H with IC Lyn train 19

08:53 Vejle St.

09:25 Vejle Bus station with bus 143 towards Billund Lufthavn

10:04 Legoland/Lalandia

17:13 Legoland/Lalandia with bus 44 towards Billund Lufthavn, the bus will then change number to 43 and depart for Vejle but you will just stay in the bus.

17:55 Vejle bus station

18:13 Vejle St. with IC Lyn train 54

20:22 København H

Billund is the town where Legoland is located.

@ GoVikes

There are both lines for normal taxis and vans so it should be easy to catch one.

@ delmom18

You can also fly to Billund and on the same date i found these flights

10:45 from CPH

11:30 in BLL

And the other way around

17:30 from BLL

18:15 in CPH

19:40 from BLL

20:25 in CPH

If you book on Nemrejse.dk you have the honour to pay 666 DKK roundtrip.:D

All flights

http://www.momondo.com/?plr=false

Trains and busses.

http://www.rejseplanen.dk/ then choose english.

[quote=Danish viking;32265636

All flights

http://www.momondo.com/?plr=false

Trains and busses.

http://www.rejseplanen.dk/ then choose english.

Hello! What a wonderful thread - thank-you for all of the assistance! We are taking our cruise mid June and post cruise have 5 days to do more travelling. Our "plan" is to go from Amsterdam to Poland (Krakow - Auchiwitz) or Poland to Amsterdam -either way. I used your search engine above to search for flights but the flights to Amsterdam are terrible (long stop overs - 7-8hrs). How far is Amsterdam by train? What train system is used or perhaps we're better off flying to Warsaw and working our way back (?). I tried to look at the train/bus link you have above but I could not figure it out :( When I put in destination Amsterdam, it changed it to "Amsterdamhusene 1, 3600 Frederikssund, Frederikssund" and the trip was only one hour which can't be right. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

LLS

I've read through many posts here and elsewhere, and still feel at a loss on a hotel choice. I'd love some input! I am trying to make a final decision on which hotel for one night pre-cruise (June 23). Still dealing with the sticker shock and relatively negative reviews of even very expensive hotels...

We had been thinking of Priceline bidding the Marriot, but I see that the Crown Plaza is now added to the list for 4*, and that location seems bad. So, now we're thinking that we won't take the risk of a Priceline bid.

We're traveling with my husband's parents, and I'd like them to have a comfortable stay. Things we want: good location (walking is tiring for the parents), clean, wifi, breakfast. Just want to avoid booking a hotel that will make them miserable in any way. Don't want something that will make them feel like they're staying in a hostel.

I've read endless reviews for Marriot, Mayfair, Neptune, Imperial, The Square, Kong Arthur, Ibsen, Bethel, and more. We'd like to say as close to $200 USD as possible (up to $225 or so?). Which option do you recommend? I've been focused in on the Mayfair vs. the Neptune most recently, but not sure which to select even between those two. Will appreciate any advice!

Terry--Your pictures are gorgeous! What lens did you find yourself shooting the most with on this trip? I am still fairly new to the DSLR world, but I am thinking that I can't go wrong with my Nikkor 55-300 on the camera body and the Sigma 10-20 in the camera bag(or vice versa?).

Appreciate the nice comments on my photos. Glad to know you're a person of such class, great taste and wonderful judgment.

Actually, the lens I use most is the 18-55mm Nikon lens that came with my D3100 and D50 Nikon cameras. That 18-55mm works well in so many different situations and cases. Don't try to get by with just 10-20mm and 55-300mm. You need that middle range covered, too, for so many shots and locations. Does this help?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 62,025 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 57,807 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

We will be arriving in Copenhagen this June for one day via Oceania Cruise Line. The excursions offered by our cruise are expensive and not what we want to see.

Once docked is it fairly easy to negotiate into town and to the sites? We'd like to see the MUST see and perhaps a quick boat tour.

Thanks in advance for any tips!

@ VAtravelers100

Crowne Plaza is located next to both a metro and a train station (Ørestad St.) and then you will be in downtown Copenhagen in 10 minutes time.

If you´re not counting the train travel then Kongens Nytorv and København H (central station) is better located than the Marriott hotel so the walking distance is shorter but you have to add the train travel.

Regarding Mayfair and Neptun i would say that Mayfair is the better one because Neptun is located next to the train tracks and the trains run at night after friday and saturday.

But Vesterbro were Mayfair is located is located in a former red light´ish district that is now revitalized.

@ Smbruner

When first in town the city is easy navigatable but what pier are your ship docked at because there is a difference between docking at Nordre Toldbod and Langelinie and the further out at the freeport terminal.

@ VAtravelers100

Crowne Plaza is located next to both a metro and a train station (Ørestad St.) and then you will be in downtown Copenhagen in 10 minutes time.

If you´re not counting the train travel then Kongens Nytorv and København H (central station) is better located than the Marriott hotel so the walking distance is shorter but you have to add the train travel.

Regarding Mayfair and Neptun i would say that Mayfair is the better one because Neptun is located next to the train tracks and the trains run at night after friday and saturday.

But Vesterbro were Mayfair is located is located in a former red light´ish district that is now revitalized.

Thanks, I really value the feedback. So, I will make a reservation at the Mayfair, then. If you were me, would you then bid priceline for the Marriot/Crown Plaza? Those hotels wouldn't include breakfast in the price, and are a little further out. Do you think they would be significantly nicer to stay in? Thanks so much for the feedback.

I've read through many posts here and elsewhere, and still feel at a loss on a hotel choice. I'd love some input! I am trying to make a final decision on which hotel for one night pre-cruise (June 23). Still dealing with the sticker shock and relatively negative reviews of even very expensive hotels...

We had been thinking of Priceline bidding the Marriot, but I see that the Crown Plaza is now added to the list for 4*, and that location seems bad. So, now we're thinking that we won't take the risk of a Priceline bid.

We're traveling with my husband's parents, and I'd like them to have a comfortable stay. Things we want: good location (walking is tiring for the parents), clean, wifi, breakfast. Just want to avoid booking a hotel that will make them miserable in any way. Don't want something that will make them feel like they're staying in a hostel.

I've read endless reviews for Marriot, Mayfair, Neptune, Imperial, The Square, Kong Arthur, Ibsen, Bethel, and more. We'd like to say as close to $200 USD as possible (up to $225 or so?). Which option do you recommend? I've been focused in on the Mayfair vs. the Neptune most recently, but not sure which to select even between those two. Will appreciate any advice!

VAtravelers100

Hi there, I am having the same dilema as you in chosing a hotel in Copenhagen for Aug 25th... I have been gathering information from all the review sites and then when I think I have almost made up my mind there is just that one little niggle... I have never found it so difficult to choose a hotel, usually I go down through tripadvsor and there is one that always stands out : location wise, price wise , general vibe etc. I guess it may be the high prices couple withwith some negative reviews that is making me wary.

At the moment, I am toying between the Crowne Plaza, +ve : great reviews, free xfer from airport, 5 mins to train station for downtown - Ve:I am just a little concerned, it is a little too out of the way for getting max enjoyment out of the city.

Clarion Hotel Mayfair: +Ve Good reviews, central location, breckie and supper buffet thrown in -Ve: indicates rooms are small and it is on the edges of the red light district with strip club opposite.

Like you, I am travelling with parents and want to make this an easy and enjoyable stay as possible before we depart from Copenhagen on our cruise.

Decisions, Decisions...;):)

The Mayfair is a good choice because you will have Tivoli and Strøget a few 100 Meyers away.

Thanks very much, we're booking it now! If we plan to take a taxi with our group of 4 from the airport, do you recommend that we book a taxi ahead of time, or just find one on arrival? Likewise, should we book ahead for a taxi from hotel to cruise ship (Eurodam June 24)?

swcruise...

I hear ya!! We are planning to give the parents some looow expectations about this hotel so that they aren't caught off guard! The fact that breakfast, wifi, dinner are included is a pretty big sell. Plus it's just one night and should make the cruise seem all the more comfy. I am pretty worried that they will be uncomfortable, but paying so much more for the Marriot seems hard to justify. I agree that this is the hardest time I've ever had finding a good hotel.

Hi

Just wondering if anyone can comment on Scandic Palace? It was recommended by our travel agent as a good place..includes breakfast. Fairly reasonably priced. There are 3 of us and we were having a difficult time finding somewhere to accomodate 3 to a room. Crown Plaza and Marriott seemed nice but no brekkie and further out and more expensive. Thougts anyone? Thanks so much.

Hello! We are American "ex-pats" who are currently living in Copenhagen.

LOTS of great ships come through here - and I'm more than happy to give advice on "what to see and do".

We have two children, ages 4 and 6 (currently) - so are very well versed in "what do to with kids".

The great thing about CPH is that it is a VERY (and I mean VERY) clean, safe, and EASY city to explore.

This is a "not to miss" city on your plans --

Enjoy!

Hi Danish Viking,

My wife and I will be in Copenhagen for two days prior to boarding the Eurodam on June 14. Looking at the Richmond hotel as a place to stay for two nights. Any thoughts? Also, any thoughts on walkable places to see.

Thank you,

Ed

@ VAtravelers100

I will just correct myself, Marriott and Crowne Plaza is indeed better hotels.

Walking distance from Marriott to downtown is a little bit closer than Mayfair, but Mayfair is closer to the Central Station.

@ nettieskitchen

Scandic Palace is located on the Town Hall Square but not near the metro construction site that are located on the other side of the square but Vestre Voldgade where the hotel is located is also under reconstruction. ;-)

@ delmom18

Good hotel but the location is a little bit off but there is a free shuttle bus to Tivoli and the Central Station.

@ VAtravelers100

I will just correct myself, Marriott and Crowne Plaza is indeed better hotels.

Walking distance from Marriott to downtown is a little bit closer than Mayfair, but Mayfair is closer to the Central Station.

No problem, we do know that. We booked at the Mayfair, and now we will see if the parents want to pay X dollars more to stay at the Marriot instead. We're going to tell them that the Mayfair will probably feel like staying at a 2.5* hotel in the US, across from a strip club apparently. The plus side being the cost. For one night, we'll probably just make do!

Danish Viking

Thanks for info on Scandic Palace. We are coming in Aug and and read that construction is to be done in September. Do you think it will be that bad? Is it otherwise an okay location? The hotel itself looked good and after checking many it was frustrating because few could accomodate 3 of us. I appreciate your comments. We figured there would be some noise with construction but with an 8 year old we'll probably be up early anyway. How bad is the construction? is what I would like to know.

Thanks

Annette

It's probably 1/3 of the square that is framed in if you can say so and you hotel is located in the other end of the square.

The other construction site at Vestre Voldgade is just a minor one where they just want to renew the street so it looks more welcoming and when you arrive im guessing that they are finished around the square and are moved closer to the harbour where the street end.

The construction around the hotel seems to be finished because when i look at the project at the website for the city council they seem to work on the block next to the Palace and not in front of it and the entire project seems to be finished around summer time.

Archived