I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

Hello! We are American "ex-pats" who are currently living in Copenhagen.

LOTS of great ships come through here - and I'm more than happy to give advice on "what to see and do".

We have two children, ages 4 and 6 (currently) - so are very well versed in "what do to with kids".

The great thing about CPH is that it is a VERY (and I mean VERY) clean, safe, and EASY city to explore.

This is a "not to miss" city on your plans --

Enjoy!

please let me know how far is the radisson blue from the airport and the cruise port.

also please give me a general idea about the hotel.

thank you for your help,if you like you can email me at dcibrian@aol.com

miryam

Hi Danish Viking,

Thanks for your valuable information. This helps me a lot to plan for my trip. Please help me with one more question: Can we use klippekort ticket for DFDS Canal tour? If yes, how many punches that we need for a tour for a person.

Thanks.

Here is how the ticket system in Copenhagen works:

The Greater Copenhagen area is divided into 95 fare zones. When you travel by bus, train or metro, the fare is according to the distance in zones from origin to destination. First, you have to determine the distance in zones from your departure point to your arrival point. The distance can be read from small zone maps at all bus stops or train station punching machines where you by the means of a color scheme can find the number of zones needed from the actual zone to any destination zone. The distance is not equal to the number of zones you travel through, but the distance measured in "zone widths" from your starting point. The transport mode and number of changes doesn't matter. One special rule: If your journey gets you through a more expensive zone than your destination zone, you will have to pay for the most expensive zone rather than your destination. This only happens if your destination is not the point furthest away from your origin, which is rather unusual, but can happen.

For travel within Copenhagen city limits it's always 2 zones, for travel from city center to the airport, it's 3 zones.

The fare system is common for all transport modes: (bus, harbour bus, local railway, train, S-train and metro). All tickets and cards are valid for all transportation modes regardless of where they are bought.

When you have determined how many zones to pay for, you will have to figure out how to pay for the trip. You can either use individual tickets or "klippekort" (clip cards) which are discount stamping cards containing 10 stampings, each valid for the number of zones stated on the card. Clip cards are roughly half price compared with individual tickets. The tickets and clip cards come in several versions: 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 (or" all zones"). 9 zones equal all zones. When you stamp your card (or buy a ticket) you can ride on bus, s-train, regular trains and Metro within the area (zones) you have paid for. You can travel within the entire area you have paid for, you can do an unlimited number of free transfers and you can transfer between all transport modes (bus, train, S-train and metro) no matter where the card was stamped, and you can even travel back again on the same fare. However, you have to board the last bus/train/metro within the validity of your ticket. The ticket/card validity is according to the number of zones paid for: 2-3 zones: 1 hour, 4-6 zones 1½ hour, 7 to all zones: 2 hours. Times are counted from the time stamp on the ticket/card.

You don't necessarily need the correct type of card to make a journey of a certain number of zones as the cards can be combined in every possible way to pay for the number of zones needed, e.g. if you want to make a 5 zone journey to the suburbs, you can stamp a 2 zone card once and a 3 zone card once. Even cards and tickets can be combined: if you want to make a 4 zone journey, but only have one stamping left on a 2-zone card, you can stamp the card and buy a 2 zone ticket to top off. Cards can also be shared between persons (you can stamp a card once for each person). And even the individual stampings can be shared. An example: to the airport, it's 3 zones. Say you only have a 2 zone card and you are 2 persons. This card can be stamped 3 times, that is 6 zones, you share one of the stampings.

So the system is very flexible. As long as you have tickets/stampings for the number of zones in your trip multiplied by the number of persons in your party, you are good to go.

There is one rule to remember: there is no such thing as a 1 zone journey, you always have to pay for at least 2 zones per person even when traveling entirely within one zone. But there actually exists a one zone add-on ticket (tillægsbillet) as an add-on to a card.

The cards themselves have an unlimited validity. The stampings are you "ticket", and the cards are only valid when stamped. Individual tickets are time stamped when bought and can thus not be bought in advance.

Each paying adult can bring up to two children up to and including 11 years old free of charge.

Children aged 12 to 15 (including 15) pay half fare. This is done either by buying a special children's clip card (available in 2 and 3-zones card) at half price, or stamping half the amount of zones on an adult card. Each paying child aged 12 to 15 can bring a child aged 0-11 free of charge.

Klippekort can be bought in machines (not all types are available in all machines), at train station ticket windows and convenience stores. Tickets can be bought directly at bus drivers and station ticket windows. Many stations do not have ticket windows anymore, at these station, the 7-eleven store at the station sells tickets and cards.

Here is how the ticket system in Copenhagen works:

The Greater Copenhagen area is divided into 95 fare zones. When you travel by bus, train or metro, the fare is according to the distance in zones from origin to destination. First, you have to determine the distance in zones from your departure point to your arrival point. The distance can be read from small zone maps at all bus stops or train station punching machines where you by the means of a color scheme can find the number of zones needed from the actual zone to any destination zone. The distance is not equal to the number of zones you travel through, but the distance measured in "zone widths" from your starting point. The transport mode and number of changes doesn't matter. One special rule: If your journey gets you through a more expensive zone than your destination zone, you will have to pay for the most expensive zone rather than your destination. This only happens if your destination is not the point furthest away from your origin, which is rather unusual, but can happen.

For travel within Copenhagen city limits it's always 2 zones, for travel from city center to the airport, it's 3 zones.

The fare system is common for all transport modes: (bus, harbour bus, local railway, train, S-train and metro). All tickets and cards are valid for all transportation modes regardless of where they are bought.

When you have determined how many zones to pay for, you will have to figure out how to pay for the trip. You can either use individual tickets or "klippekort" (clip cards) which are discount stamping cards containing 10 stampings, each valid for the number of zones stated on the card. Clip cards are roughly half price compared with individual tickets. The tickets and clip cards come in several versions: 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 (or" all zones"). 9 zones equal all zones. When you stamp your card (or buy a ticket) you can ride on bus, s-train, regular trains and Metro within the area (zones) you have paid for. You can travel within the entire area you have paid for, you can do an unlimited number of free transfers and you can transfer between all transport modes (bus, train, S-train and metro) no matter where the card was stamped, and you can even travel back again on the same fare. However, you have to board the last bus/train/metro within the validity of your ticket. The ticket/card validity is according to the number of zones paid for: 2-3 zones: 1 hour, 4-6 zones 1½ hour, 7 to all zones: 2 hours. Times are counted from the time stamp on the ticket/card.

You don't necessarily need the correct type of card to make a journey of a certain number of zones as the cards can be combined in every possible way to pay for the number of zones needed, e.g. if you want to make a 5 zone journey to the suburbs, you can stamp a 2 zone card once and a 3 zone card once. Even cards and tickets can be combined: if you want to make a 4 zone journey, but only have one stamping left on a 2-zone card, you can stamp the card and buy a 2 zone ticket to top off. Cards can also be shared between persons (you can stamp a card once for each person). And even the individual stampings can be shared. An example: to the airport, it's 3 zones. Say you only have a 2 zone card and you are 2 persons. This card can be stamped 3 times, that is 6 zones, you share one of the stampings.

So the system is very flexible. As long as you have tickets/stampings for the number of zones in your trip multiplied by the number of persons in your party, you are good to go.

There is one rule to remember: there is no such thing as a 1 zone journey, you always have to pay for at least 2 zones per person even when traveling entirely within one zone. But there actually exists a one zone add-on ticket (tillægsbillet) as an add-on to a card.

The cards themselves have an unlimited validity. The stampings are you "ticket", and the cards are only valid when stamped. Individual tickets are time stamped when bought and can thus not be bought in advance.

Each paying adult can bring up to two children up to and including 11 years old free of charge.

Children aged 12 to 15 (including 15) pay half fare. This is done either by buying a special children's clip card (available in 2 and 3-zones card) at half price, or stamping half the amount of zones on an adult card. Each paying child aged 12 to 15 can bring a child aged 0-11 free of charge.

Klippekort can be bought in machines (not all types are available in all machines), at train station ticket windows and convenience stores. Tickets can be bought directly at bus drivers and station ticket windows. Many stations do not have ticket windows anymore, at these station, the 7-eleven store at the station sells tickets and cards.

You would think with such a comprehensive explanation I wouldn't have any questions....but I do! Just to confirm: there are 2 of us requiring transport to and from the airport, and one way to the cruise port (not concerned about around town - we'll walk!) If I understand correctly, for both of us that is 4 X 3 zones, and 2 X 2 zones...so 16 punches (?) so 2 clip cards is too much? Is it still cheaper to get 2 clip cards instead of 1 clip card and the extra single tickets required?

Thank-you!!

No only 8 punches because the smallest Klippekort is with 2 zones.

I meant 16 punches for 2 of us to travel to and from the airport and then one way from our hotel to the cruise ship. That would be 16 wouldn't it? So if I bought 2 clipcards, I would have 4 left over?

To get to Radisson Blu Royal Hotel, Hammerchsgade 1, their site says take the train from the airport toward the Main Central Train Station takes approximately 13 minutes and to get off at Kobenhavns Hovedbanegard.

What would the cost be?

Is it better to get a Copenhagen card and use it for travel and sights? Can we use this card to get to the hotel?

We are on a Princess ship in 2013. From a previous thread, you mentioned a new port terminal is being build so you cann't tell where Princess will be next year.

Would it be better to take the train back to airport and get the Princess transfer to port for $39/pp or use some other type of transportation to get to the port?

To get to Radisson Blu Royal Hotel, Hammerchsgade 1, their site says take the train from the airport toward the Main Central Train Station takes approximately 13 minutes and to get off at Kobenhavns Hovedbanegard.

What would the cost be?

Is it better to get a Copenhagen card and use it for travel and sights? Can we use this card to get to the hotel?

We are on a Princess ship in 2013. From a previous thread, you mentioned a new port terminal is being build so you cann't tell where Princess will be next year.

Would it be better to take the train back to airport and get the Princess transfer to port for $39/pp or use some other type of transportation to get to the port?

I can tell you what I've learned so far...even if you buy single tickets, it's only around $5 to take the train to and from the port (or downtown) instead of $39!

This website talks about your options and costs for public transportation:

http://www.visitdenmark.com/uk/en-gb/menu/turist/transport/lufthavne/transportationfromcopenhagenairport.htm

Here is the website where you can select what you want to do and it will calculate whether the CPH card is a better deal:

http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/book-your-stay/copenhagen-card

@ weluvcruise2007

you have 16 zones in total, 6 from the airport, 4 to cruise terminal and 6 back to the airport.

Each punch is valid for 2 zones so you punch it 3 times from the airport, 2 times to the ship and 3 times back to the airport leaving you with 2 clips but its still cheaper than single tickets.

@ weluvcruise2007

you have 16 zones in total, 6 from the airport, 4 to cruise terminal and 6 back to the airport.

Each punch is valid for 2 zones so you punch it 3 times from the airport, 2 times to the ship and 3 times back to the airport leaving you with 2 clips but its still cheaper than single tickets.

Thank-you! Sorry for the confusion...that's where I was going wrong - I thought each zone was a punch!

@ phabric

The Neptun is closer to Amalienborg, Rosenborg, Nyhavn, Kongens Nytorv, Canal Tour and the Royal theater (and playhouse) and the Opera.

The Mayfair is located closer to the central station (København H), Tivoli, National museum, Glyptoteket and the town hall square.

The Radisson Blu Royal is located in the same area as the Mayfair but on the nice side of the central station.

A single ticket cost 36 DKK for one person and a taxi cost around 250 DKK but the CPH Card covers transportation all the way from the airport.

Regarding the cruise terminal i hope that i can tell some new info about the location of the new pier.

I assume that some kind of shuttle service to either Østerport or Kongens Nytorv will be running or maybe a continued service of route 26 in the weekends in the cruise season.

We disembark the Emerald on 5/23 am-staying @ Clarion Mayfair. I thought I would just figure it out when I got there....but someone asked me, so I said I would ask you:D . Can we walk to a train station & take that to the hotel? I'm thinking a taxi would cost a lot more. Sorry, I'm sure you've answered this before.... I can't believe people are asking about next yr already..:eek:!

Thank you for your help...I'm also going to assume someone can explain the transportation when we get there.

We disembark the Emerald on 5/23 am-staying @ Clarion Mayfair. I thought I would just figure it out when I got there....but someone asked me, so I said I would ask you:D . Can we walk to a train station & take that to the hotel? I'm thinking a taxi would cost a lot more. Sorry, I'm sure you've answered this before.... I can't believe people are asking about next yr already..:eek:!

Thank you for your help...I'm also going to assume someone can explain the transportation when we get there.

Sorry forgot to add we dock @ Orient Quay 245.

@ snownomore

Luckily its very easy, take a S-train from track 9 and 10 from the nearby central station to either Nordhavn station with a short 10 minute walk to the freeport terminal or to Østerport and take bus number 26 to the freeport terminal.

Archived