I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

hi, would love to hear what to see and do on our own. Not too interested in shopping. We don't eat meat...fish and fowl. Active and healthy so can walk all day. Love history and art and architecture and doing what the locals do. Thanks.

We happened upon the Malmo Music Festival several years ago when we decided to go exploring over to Malmo Sweden from Copenhagen on our last evening. Just take the train over, a 24hr pass will get you there however be warned, you must buy a Swedish pass to get back. The police were not to happy with us as we offered up all the Danish and Swedish kroner and all the other bits of foreign currency we had! The festival runs all day and begins in the streets as soon as you leave the train station. They will most likely publish a schedule closer to the event. When we attended there were 14 genres of music! This year it is 17 August, 2012 - 24 August, 2012

http://www.malmofestivalen.se

From 17–24 August, everyone’s welcome to the Malmö Festival, one of Sweden’s biggest urban festivals, with 1.4 million visitors in 2011! The festival is totally free and has something to offer everyone, regardless of age, interest and musical taste.

The programme is packed with events in the fields of music, theatre, art and design. There’s always something to see and lots of sales stands if you feel like a bit of shopping. The big food market on Gustav Adolfs torg offers food from all corners of the world. You will need swedish Kroner

we will be in Copenhagen for 1 day June 4 We would really like to go to either Kronborg Castle or Fredericksborg. What is your recomendation? Could you also give me directions by train from the port? thank you

@ Smokey

What ship are you on Costa NeoRomantica is at the freeport terminal, Rotterdam is at the Langelinie pier and Silver Whisper is docked at Nordre Toldbod.

From the freeport its a short walk to Nordhavn station

http://maps.google.dk/maps?saddr=Klubiensvej+1,+K%C3%B8benhavn&daddr=Nordhavn+st&hl=da&ie=UTF8&ll=55.70811,12.592585&spn=0.008378,0.019205&sll=55.70811,12.594967&sspn=0.008378,0.019205&geocode=FZwUUgMdwDDAACkTvFR361JSRjFzC5hpL-zA5Q%3BFRAAUgMdFR7AACkNFsfZ7lJSRjGbh0DwCZFRdw&oq=klubiens&dirflg=w&mra=ls&t=m&z=16

From Langelinie and Nordre Toldbod you have to walk to Østerport station.

http://maps.google.dk/maps?saddr=langelinie,+k%C3%B8benhavn&daddr=%C3%98sterport+st,+K%C3%B8benhavn&hl=da&ie=UTF8&sll=55.70811,12.592585&sspn=0.008378,0.019205&geocode=FTXZUQMddkLAACHZey-4AUdZ9ikxdoMq3FJSRjEPysqOWp7a1Q%3BFXXNUQMdCBPAACnfEvLB4VJSRjG9k1_w_c2V8g&oq=%C3%B8sterport&dirflg=w&mra=ls&t=m&z=16

and.......................

http://maps.google.dk/maps?saddr=Nordre+Toldbod,+K%C3%B8benhavn&daddr=%C3%98sterport+st,+K%C3%B8benhavn&hl=da&ie=UTF8&ll=55.690347,12.592778&spn=0.008382,0.019205&sll=55.69436,12.593465&sspn=0.008381,0.019205&geocode=FdTBUQMd2z7AACn7gTajIFNSRjGaFZq7QTqEHg%3BFXXNUQMdCBPAACnfEvLB4VJSRjG9k1_w_c2V8g&oq=nordre+t&dirflg=w&mra=ls&t=m&z=16

From here you can take S-train line E towards Hillerød from either Nordhavn or Østerport where Frederiksborg Castle is located.

The train takes around 40 minutes

http://www.dsb.dk/global/pdf/koereplaner/s-tog/s2012/s-togs%20k%c3%b8replan%20g%c3%a6ldende%20fra%2011.%20dec%202011.pdf

Here is a walking route from the station in Hillerød to Frederiksborg Castle, you can also search on bus schedules.

http://maps.google.dk/maps?saddr=Hiller%C3%B8d+st&daddr=Frederiksborg+Slot,+Hiller%C3%B8d&hl=da&ie=UTF8&ll=55.930572,12.303658&spn=0.01666,0.038409&sll=55.930635,12.303005&sspn=0.01666,0.038409&geocode=FYtgVQMdkNm7ACnr50g9uUBSRjFOHajvrpSZwg%3BFeF_VQMdtq67ACG5hxuColuYMimjoJNrl0BSRjH3NbI_WF4K2Q&oq=frederiksborg&dirflg=w&mra=ltm&t=m&z=15

Then you take the train from Hillerød to Helsingør to visit Kronborg Castle, this train takes around 30 minutes.

The castle is visible from the train station so i will not post a map for this one.

http://www.lokalbanen.dk/Files/Filer/Planer/LB_Koereplan_Ll.Nord_2011.pdf

When you get back to the ship you take the train from Helsingør to Østerport in around 45 minutes.

If your were to board the NeoRomantica you will have to take bus 26 towards Færgehavn Nord and get off at the freeport terminal.

http://www.dsb.dk/global/pdf/koereplaner/regionaltog/k12%20minikoereplaner/kystbanen-internet-.pdf

@ friend2cruise

These are the restaurants in Indre By (downtown Copenhagen) recommended by AOK.dk and its users.

42 Raw

Restaurant Himalaya

Cafe Klimt

Atlas Bar

Indian Taj Restaurant

Huks Fluks

Firefly

I could post a list of museums but tell me what kind of museums you want to see and I can choose some for you.

But you love history so I can happily tell you that entrance to the national museum is free.

We have a private walking tour scheduled for our group of 14 in Copenhagen - do you think we should tip the guide? I understand that there is not much tipping in Denmark, but I don't want to look unappreciative either! Also, how easy would it be to get a taxi from Dragor back to the airport? You do an INCREDIBLE service by answering all these questions - thank you!!!

Only do it if you feel that the guide was exceptional good, else I wouldn't bother because they are unionized so they do have a good salery.

If you can't find a taxi you can probably ask in a shop or a restaurant to call one.

Bus 35 will get you directly to the airport if you want to safe some money.

Hi Danish Viking --- I have really enjoyed reading your posts!

We will be coming on May 29 via Jewel cruise ship and am wondering the distance between Nyhavn and Rosenborg Castle---how long will it take to walk? Our plan is to walk from ship to Nyhavn, take a canal cruise, shop, walk to Rosenborg & then to Amalienborg and then through Kastellet on the way back to the ship. We have 9:00-4:00 for our day. Any guess as to how much walking this will be? And/or would we be better to take a bus or train?

Thank you so much!!:)

Joyce

Danish Viking - can you tell me if the City Pass covers transportation to Kronborg Castle? If yes, I am thinking of visiting the castle on our 2nd day in Copenhagen using the 72 hour City Pass instead of adding it to the half day return to the city a week later.

Hi Danish Viking - We're docking at Fryhavnen (Freeport?) and want transportation to Rosenborg Castle. Should we follow your map to Nordhavn Station? Should we just go to Central Station and walk from there? Or is it better to take the bus? If so where do we get on the bus? Where do we exit the train or bus? Thanks for all your help.

We will be arriving on the Eclipse on August 1 at 9:00 and leaving at 23:59. I have just begun to research Copenhagen. I know you have probably answered the question before but does the Copenhagen card cover admission to Amalienborg.Christiansborg slot, Nationalmuseet, and Tivoli? Plus public transportation by bus, metro or rail all within Copenhagen? I don't think it covers the hop on hop off bus. What is the cost of a 24 hour card?

Thanks

Bobocasey

Hi DV,

Do you recommend any flea market in Copenhagen? My ship reach Copenhagen on Saturday morning. I will be staying in Absalon City Hotel for 1 night.. Any recommended flea market near the Absalon City hotel? Thanks..

May i know how much is the City pass for 1 day? Any discount for 3 adults?

Hi DV, i found the city pass information on the DSB website.. for the 24 HR city pass, If i start using it today at 9:00 morning, is the city pass expired next day 9:00 morning? or midnight 12am? THanks

I have read about the Copenhagen Card and what it costs - transportation and certain attractions. Now I am reading about a City Pass. What is this? What is the difference? Where do find information about this Pass?

City Pass only covers transportation on a smaller area (zone 1, 2, 3 and 4) than the 24 hour transportation card that covers all the zones in the greater Copenhagen area.

I will get back to all of you with a wholeheartedly response because its complicated to crosscheck all the information on my mobile.

The City Pass will not give you access to any museums or hop on hop off busses and canal tour.

So if your not planning on entering any of the museums that are not free of charge or doing the bus tours and canal tours then the City Pass will suit you well.

Remember that the small electrical bus on route 11A will pass by most of the tourist sites and is a cheaper alternative to the guided bus tours.

Hello Danish Viking, we are starting with the Sun from " Kopenhagen Freeport " . Do you know something about Parking Areas in the near of the Freeport....

Thank you for your help...

Joerg

I was surfing around on the internet and according to Costas and Norwegian Cruise Line (among others) website there is a parking area at the Freeport terminal at Orient Plads, 2100 København Ø.

The price is 15€ per day and 90€ for a week.

We will be in Copenhagen Aug. 8, from 5:00-18:00, on Emerald Princess. Our plans are to visit the following sites:

Amalienborg Palace - opens at 11:00, see changing of the guard at noon, Little Mermaid, Canal Boat Tour, Tivoli Gardens, Storget, Nyhavn. Does this sound like too much for a one day stop? Also, we are considering purchasing the CPH card. Would it be worth it for this itinerary, or should we just pay as we go?

So excited about visiting Copenhagen - my gr. grandparents were from Denmark. :)

Thanks in advance for your help and advice!

Here is a nice offer if you are in Copenhagen on Sunday July the 8th and are over 60 years old, I´m not judging any cruisers here :D

Free admittance for plus-60-year-olds

If you are 60 years old or more you can visit Roskilde Festival free of charge on Sunday 8 July 2012.

Roskilde Festival is something else and much more than drunkenness and young people wallowing in mud. It’s a major cultural event with a diverse range of music experiences, which may be of interest to everyone, young and old.

We want to give the elderly part of the population the opportunity to experience this so that it’s their own impressions of the festival instead of rumours and prejudices that make up the understanding of this unique international event.

That’s why the festival gives free admittance to everyone who has turned 60 years on Sunday 8 July at 8:00 in the morning until the end of the festival. This is regardless of address and nationality.

Please remember to bring a valid photo ID.

So far the only bands (around 30 in total) that are rumoured to perform on that day are.

Sunday July 8th

Alabama Shakes

Amadou & Mariam

Björk

Blondes

DJ Static with friends (closing party)

Friendly Fires

Gurrumul

Lars Winnerbäck

Nasum

Suicide Silence

Archived