I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

Hello Danish Viking - I have that same question too, about bikes. We are staying at the Stay Apartment Hotels.

Also, about the Copenhagen Card - We finally booked flights and we have 3 days in Copenhagen pre-cruise, more than we expected. Do you recommend the Copenhagen Card and can we buy it at the airport? We are a family of 7 with kids ages 11-18. Also, I do understand that the card gives free admission into Tivoli but doesn't include the ride pass. I couldn't seem to find the price of the unlimited ride pass anywhere. Do you know how much it costs and when you buy the ride pass, does it include your admission into the park, or is that separate?

Thanks!

I have another question, about Kronborg castle. Is it worth the ride to get there? I think my kids would enjoy a castle visit and I did read a positive review about doing the underground casement tour at the castle. Is there public transportation that can take you there from the city center in Copenhagen?

or is there another castle that is closer that would be a good alternative?

Thanks.

Here is a link to both of you :)

http://www.bycyklen.dk/english/thecitybikeandcopenhagen.aspx

Regarding Kronborg you can take a Øresund train directly to Helsingør/Elsinore in 45 minutes from København H (Central Station)

As you can see on this map you can walk to Dybbølsbro S-train station and the distance is 800 meters.

København H is the large station just a little bit north of Dybbølsbro st.

http://map.krak.dk/m/9nlpt

Bus 250S will get you directly to København H in 11 minutes from the bus stop at Drechselsgade just around the corner from your hotel.

The CPH card does only cover entrance to Tivoli but does cover transportation so it is best to buy it at the airport so you don´t worry about cost of transportation to the hotel.

The tour pass cost 199 DKK

THe CPH Card will also cover transportation to and from Helsingør and also some discount on the entrance tickets to Kronborg.

Thanks to Danish Viking for the info concerning transport between Paris and Copenhagen and also Copenhagen and Berlin...very helpful. Frankly, I didn't realize the train from Paris would take so long.

Now, I'm considering flying from US to Copenhagen (CPH) several days prior to cruise. My thought is that we could get a rail pass and take train from CPH along coast of Norway and possibly over to Lillehammer before looping down to Oslo and back to CPH.

There will be 4 adults traveling together. We would arrive in CPH on Saturday morning; take train into Norway on Sunday; return to CPH Tuesday in time to catch cruise. The various rail passes are confusing, but I'm sure we can eventually figure them out. The real issue is whether this plan is reasonable or will we be dead tired!

Am I crazy?

The fastest direct train between Copenhagen and Oslo on a sundays is the X2000 departing from Copenhagen to Gothenburg at 13:49 and then change to a Regional train that depart at 17:47 and arrives in Oslo at 21:45.

Then you only got monday and some some of the time on tuesday to get in done.

http://www.eurail.com/eurail-passes/regional-pass/scandinavia?currency=eur

C190 is Langelinie pier that is located just north of the Little Mermaid.

If anyone is docked at C177 Nordre Toldbod then it is located just south of the statue.

Wow, what a great thread this is! We spent a great day in Copenhagen in 2007, went to Tivoli and did a canal ride, plus just did some walking (DH is very thankful that I'm not a big shopper, LOL). We used the Rick Steves Scandinavia guide to get around and found it very easy to naviagate the train system.

Now we're looking forward to spending 2 days there pre-cruise, plus another day in between cruises, in September.

Where is c245? That's where both Vision and Brilliance will be docked. I imagine that it's different if you're embarking than if you're in transit...

@ FFMongoose

1) Amalienborg and Copenhagen Zoo should be added onto the list.

2) I would take the train (not the metro) towards Nivå or Helsingør/Elsinore and get of at Østerport station.

From here you could take a taxi or take a S-train further north to Nordhavn where you can walk to the freeport terminal.

3) Most shops in Indre By (downtown) will most likely accept the card but take a 1-2% surcharge but there are alot of ATMS along Strøget shopping street.

Many thanks for the info Danish Viking. We purchased some Danish currency through Bank of America. That should cover most purchases. Sorry it took so long to reply! Thanks for all your information to all of us. Your information is priceless! Patric :D

This thread has been great in giving me an idea of how to use my time in Copenhagen. I've copied and pasted a lot of this into my trip folder. Thank you!!

I was also glad to see my hotel, Absalon, on one of your lists, even though I know it is near or in the red light district. I assume when I'm taking my bags from the train station that won't be an issue (I land at 1:30pm).

Danish viking -- We are coming to Copenhagen for a few days in late May before our Baltic cruise. One of the hotel recommended to us by a friend is the Clarion Hotel Mayfair. On Trip Advisor, many of the reviews are positive, but I am concerned about the neighborhood it is located (based on its past history as a red-light district). What is your opinion of the hotel and it's location? Thanks.

The area around Istedgade has been cleaned up in the last couple of years so its not a Red light district anymore but you can still find a few shops selling funny videos :rolleyes:

The Mayfair is located closer to Vesterbrogade so you can walk by that road instead.

Thank you Danish Viking for all the great information in this thread!!

We are staying 1 day pre cruise in Aug (Aug 11th sailing on NCL Sun) and are booked at the Copenhagen Strand hotel. What is the best way to get from the airport to the hotel? What is the best way to get to Tivoli and can we walk back to the hotel at night safely?

Thank you in advance!

@ critterchick

It sound lovely but we can plan this when we get closer to the date because i have forgot this by that time :D

But please return back with questions and i will be happy to help you.

@ kwcrnp

The metro will get you almost directly to the hotel at Kongens Nytorv station.

http://map.krak.dk/m/9JbBQ

From the Metro station you can get bus 1A, 15 and 26 to Tivoli or go down to Børsen (the stock exchange) and get bus 2A instead.

http://map.krak.dk/m/9JJMU

The area around Kongens Nytorv is pretty safe so there should be no problems at night.

Danish viking -- Thanks for the information about the Mayfair.

I do have two more questions about Copenhagen....

1) There are two other hotels that have been recommended to us: the Clarion Hotel Neptun and Best Western Hotel City. How do those compare to the Mayfair in terms of their accommodations and location?

2) Also, we plan to purchase a Copenhagen Card and maybe take a canal tour. Can you recommend a good walking tour company? We always like taking those to get a full view of a city.

We are going to spend a night in Copenhagen before going on a Cruise. I have book lodging at Hotel Bethel and now need to arrange transportation from the Airport to the Hotel and than the next day from the Hotel to the Cruise Dock. Does any one have any companies I can contact for these transfers.

@ jdl_tn09

The quality of the hotels is about the same but the location is spot on in the Kongens nytorv area, the area along the pier called Havnegade has just been renovated and now looks bore inviting.

Here you can find all the guides in Copenhagen.

http://www.guides.dk/2-59-english.html

@ charmary

I´m guessing that a taxi is much much cheaper than a airport transfer.

Archived