I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

Hi,

I'm very interested in Danish design.

Can you recommend a shop that specializes in it?

Greetings from Holland,

Reico

Hello!

Design as in clothing, textiles, or what???

Georg Jensen is probably one of the best known Danish designers and you can get items from jewelry to home accessories, etc. There is the main showcase store in Nyhavn and an outlet.

Magazin and Illum would be the other two mega stores that I would visit for home goods, textiles, clothing, jewelry, etc. They are also on the Stroget in Nyhavn right near Georg Jensen.

Then, of course, you have Royal Copenhagen - which, again, has it's main showroom/store right next to Georg Jensen on the Stroget, and an outlet (with Georg Jensen) near where to zoo is.

I think that if you walk the section of the Stroget near Nyhavn (what I call the "sexy stroget" you will find yourself in a wonder of Danish Design.

OH - also in that same general area, but not onthe stroget - is a phenomenal Danish silver store and also the Amber shop/museum. So - yes, I think that you can easily spend a day shopping in Nyhavn/Stroget.

Enjoy!

(ps - I'll be in Holland next month!)

We have a miss booked flight and was wondering if you knew if you can get a taxi at free port at 5:30 AM on a wednesday. We need to catch a 7:00 flight with air france

Thank you so much

I would have to think that if your ship pulled in at this time, that there would be a LOOOOOONG line of taxis waiting for you and the other pax getting off of your ship.

The cruise lines are BIG business here, as they are everywhere, and the taxis are first in line to profit from the pax being discharged and needing to get to the airport.

If you're overly worried, you can always "pre-hire" a taxi to meet you at the pier (but this may not be much cheaper than doing the cruise line transfer, if they offer it).

Thanks Danish Viking...I will pursue it that way. It is my VERY FAVORITE candy in the whole world.

A quick question on topic. ;) My family will be coming into Copenhagen in July for a day and a half before our cruise and I was thinking we would take the metro from the airport to our hotel, the Avenue Hotel (Åboulevard 29 DK-1990 Frederiksberg) and will be arriving with one checked and a small carry on each. Is this acceptable, to use the metro mid-day on a Friday, with suitcases? My kids are all able to handle their own luggage and I am looking for economy as there are 5 of us and a taxi may be a problem with all of us.

Thanks!

Not a problem at all. Just look for the doors that have the sign of a bicycle on the doors and use THAT cabin. As long as you can all easily handle your luggage, it's not a problem.

My family of 4 routinely uses the metro when we go to/from the airport, and we've never had any issues.

it's the BUSSES that I wouldn't, personally, recommend using w/ lots of luggage.

Enjoy your trip!

We have a miss booked flight and was wondering if you knew if you can get a taxi at free port at 5:30 AM on a wednesday. We need to catch a 7:00 flight with air france

Thank you so much

Nancy,

Have you checked with Air France about their check-in time at CPH? That is a very tight connection that you have. Good luck.

Steve

I understand the train from the airport will go into town and then a bus (26) can be taken from there to Freeport? Given the comment in the earlier post about not recommending luggage on the bus, would you suggest not to take the train and bus to Freeport? My husband and I will each have one rolling suitcase and a carryon pack.

Hi,

I'm very interested in Danish design.

Can you recommend a shop that specializes in it?

Greetings from Holland,

Reico

I should have said, of course. I meant glass and home goods.

Your reply was very helpful.

Thanks and hope you'll have a good time in Holland.

Reico

I understand the train from the airport will go into town and then a bus (26) can be taken from there to Freeport? Given the comment in the earlier post about not recommending luggage on the bus, would you suggest not to take the train and bus to Freeport? My husband and I will each have one rolling suitcase and a carryon pack.

I'm not saying you CAN'T, just saying that personally, I wouldn't. The busses could be very crowded, and you may have to wait for a bus that has space for you and your luggage (ie - no baby carriages on board). And, if you DO get on board, you are now taking up the space that is supposed to be reserved for baby carriages. ..... So, really, it's up to you if you want to do that or not.

What I would do is take the train to Osterport station and then get a cab to the pier. It won't cost but a bit since it's SOOOO close, but I do think that it will be much less stressful AND quicker.

JMHO obviously.

Sorry forgot to ask. How far is Tivoli Gardens from the stop we get off at in the City Center. What is the name of the stop? The next day do we take the same transportation to get to the pier?

Thank you.

Pat

The train station that you will get off at is called:

København Hovedbanegården

the address is

Bernstorffsgade 16-22, 1577, Denmark

This is the CENTRAL station and is literally across the street from Tivoli, the HRC, the main tourist info center, etc.

Just a few blocks up, you will find Radhuspladsen where you can catch the HOHO bus.

(sorry, I don't have the danish vowels on my American keyboard so spelling is off).

To get to the pier, you can either get off at this same station and take a cab... or you can go to Osterport station (which is the closest station to the main pier) and then either take a bus or a VERY short cab ride.

Copenhagen is TINY and very easy to get around.

I'm not saying you CAN'T, just saying that personally, I wouldn't. The busses could be very crowded, and you may have to wait for a bus that has space for you and your luggage (ie - no baby carriages on board). And, if you DO get on board, you are now taking up the space that is supposed to be reserved for baby carriages. ..... So, really, it's up to you if you want to do that or not.

What I would do is take the train to Osterport station and then get a cab to the pier. It won't cost but a bit since it's SOOOO close, but I do think that it will be much less stressful AND quicker.

JMHO obviously.

Thanks so much. We'll take the train from the airport to Osterport Station then the cab to Freeport from there. Is the train station at the airport readily visible and easy to access?

Hello! We are American "ex-pats" who are currently living in Copenhagen.

LOTS of great ships come through here - and I'm more than happy to give advice on "what to see and do".

We have two children, ages 4 and 6 (currently) - so are very well versed in "what do to with kids".

The great thing about CPH is that it is a VERY (and I mean VERY) clean, safe, and EASY city to explore.

This is a "not to miss" city on your plans --

Enjoy!

Hi,

We are (two family of 4, one with 19 & 23 girls and other with 8 & 10 girls) on HAL Rotterdam arriving Copenhagen (I think Freeport terminal) on the early morning of 6th of July. We leaving on the 8th of July around 9:00 a.m.. We are staying at the Copenhagen Marriott Hotel. What would your suggest that we try to see in two day time? Some of the private tour I have check out, have quote us over 1000 EUR for 7 hours of tour around the city and over 1200 EUR for castle tour. Would appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Bob

The train station that you will get off at is called:

København Hovedbanegården

the address is

Bernstorffsgade 16-22, 1577, Denmark

This is the CENTRAL station and is literally across the street from Tivoli, the HRC, the main tourist info center, etc.

Just a few blocks up, you will find Radhuspladsen where you can catch the HOHO bus.

(sorry, I don't have the danish vowels on my American keyboard so spelling is off).

To get to the pier, you can either get off at this same station and take a cab... or you can go to Osterport station (which is the closest station to the main pier) and then either take a bus or a VERY short cab ride.

Copenhagen is TINY and very easy to get around.

Is Free Port closer to Nordhavn station? Is it walkable from the station to Free Port (quay #254)? I've read that bus 26 does not run on Saturdays.

Thanks so much. We'll take the train from the airport to Osterport Station then the cab to Freeport from there. Is the train station at the airport readily visible and easy to access?

Yep. The entrance to the metro is very visible, and there are 3 big information desks between where you exit customs/etc. and where the entrance to the trains are. Lots of opportunities to ask for directions, to buy your ticket, etc.

No worries.

Hi,

We are (two family of 4, one with 19 & 23 girls and other with 8 & 10 girls) on HAL Rotterdam arriving Copenhagen (I think Freeport terminal) on the early morning of 6th of July. We leaving on the 8th of July around 9:00 a.m.. We are staying at the Copenhagen Marriott Hotel. What would your suggest that we try to see in two day time? Some of the private tour I have check out, have quote us over 1000 EUR for 7 hours of tour around the city and over 1200 EUR for castle tour. Would appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Bob

So sorry to say this - but the ENTIRE thread deals with this. If you read a few pages, you'll probably get some great ideas.

if we can be of more specific help, please ask.

Enjoy your time in CPH

Is Free Port closer to Nordhavn station? Is it walkable from the station to Free Port (quay #254)? I've read that bus 26 does not run on Saturdays.

Technically, as I've said before, ANYTHING is walkable. Your definition of walkable may be vastly different from mine - so I hate to say that something is "walkable" when in reality it may not be for you (or others reading this board)

With luggage, etc. I STILL strongly recommend taking a cab from Osterport station to the terminals. (and, to clarify, you're only talking a mile, so cab fare will not be astronomical at all. But the lack of sidewalks, the BUSY streets that you will be walking on, etc. all lend itself to taking a cab vs. walking IMHO)

If you want to walk it - then obviously that is your choice. I'm not going to recommend it because I think that 99% of people reading this board would then think that it'd be a cinch to walk .. and I don't want to give that impression.

make sense?

And yes, nordhavn is closer, but again, with luggage, etc. not knowing the area, it could be nerve wracking to attempt to walk. If you're confident, then go ahead and walk it.

I suggest Osterport only because there are always taxis readily available from that station. Nordhavn is not a "main" station and you'd have to wait a bit for a taxi to go past.

Bob are those quotes in euros? Denmark has it's own currency.

Good point.

Bob, if you're getting private tour quotes, they will most likely be in DKK (Danish Kronor). Right now the conversion rate is hovering around 5.75dkk per 1USD.

I highly recommend using a site like http://www.viator.com/ to do COMPARISON shopping so that you can get an idea of what prices/tours are offered in CPH. Viator is a reseller from private companies, and usually has great prices from what I've found.

I've not used them for tours of CPH since I live here, but have used them in most all of the other countries that I've visited in Europe.

Yep. The entrance to the metro is very visible, and there are 3 big information desks between where you exit customs/etc. and where the entrance to the trains are. Lots of opportunities to ask for directions, to buy your ticket, etc.

No worries.

Will we require cash for the metro from the airport and then for the taxi to the port or will credit cards work for both? If we need cash, I would assume there would be an ATM available at the airport before we need to purchase metro tickets?

Will we require cash for the metro from the airport and then for the taxi to the port or will credit cards work for both? If we need cash, I would assume there would be an ATM available at the airport before we need to purchase metro tickets?

Yep, there are ATMs and an FOREX window as well where you can get cash.

However, I do think that credit cards will also work for both. But, it's always good to have cash on you when traveling, especially in Denmark where a LOT of places won't take an American credit card.

Yes, they are quoted in Euro instead of DKK, they are call Private shore trips by travels with friends which do shore tour all over Europe, that is why they quoted everything in Euro. They seems much more expensive than the private tour I booked in Amsterdam which we arriving on Tuesday early morning and leaving Rotterdam on our cruise on Wednesday afternoon. Two days tour plus pick up & drop off for 1000 Euro for eight of us.

Bob:)

Yes, they are in Euro because they have tour all over Europe that is why they only quoted in Euro instead of DKK. I have check other web site like the one you have mansion www.Viator.com which have a much cheaper price for tour in big group of people. May be Copenhagen is the more expansion city in Europe.

Thanks,

Bob:)

We noticed that you mentioned taking the Metro to Osterport and then a taxi to Freeport when we embark and to reverse the process when we disembark.

• Is there a Metro train from Kongens Nytorv to Osterport?
  • Do all of the taxi drivers speak English?
  • If not, how do we let them know where we are to go?

Thank you for your assistance,

Steve and Avra

Can you help me with a simple question about tipping? What is the proper tip at the hotel and do taxi drivers expect a tip? Is there any place else we'll be expected to tip that I might not think about? Your help has been terrific for months now and I encourage newcomers to this thread to read all of it - sooo much good info.

We noticed that you mentioned taking the Metro to Osterport and then a taxi to Freeport when we embark and to reverse the process when we disembark.

• Is there a Metro train from Kongens Nytorv to Osterport? Yes
  • Do all of the taxi drivers speak English? 75%
  • If not, how do we let them know where we are to go? Always a good idea (in ANY country) to have the address of where you want to go written on a piece of paper to show them.

Thank you for your assistance,

Steve and Avra

ENjoy!

Can you help me with a simple question about tipping? What is the proper tip at the hotel and do taxi drivers expect a tip? Is there any place else we'll be expected to tip that I might not think about? Your help has been terrific for months now and I encourage newcomers to this thread to read all of it - sooo much good info.

Tipping isn't all that huge here in Denmark.

Being American, I still tip my taxi drivers (a 20dkk coin is more than sufficient)

I still leave a little something in my hotel room when I check out (10 - 20dkk per day depending on the level of hotel).

You do not tip in restaurants, as the gratuity is included. A little something extra is always appreciated, but not necessary.

THanks for the endorsement of reading the entire thread. There IS so much info in here, it can be overwhelming... and 45 pages is a HUGE thread.... but, there is also a great search thread function, so newcomers to the thread can also use that to get their routine/basic questions answered.

Thanks!

Enjoy CPH!

Archived