I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

Thank you for your advice. We, too, will be staying 2 nights before catching our cruise. We love to go to local restaurants where a native would go, not a tourist! Would love your suggestions - we are staying at the Marriott. If you were out shopping or visiting Tivoli with friends or family, where would you go for lunch or dinner?

Thank you for your advice. We, too, will be staying 2 nights before catching our cruise. We love to go to local restaurants where a native would go, not a tourist! Would love your suggestions - we are staying at the Marriott. If you were out shopping or visiting Tivoli with friends or family, where would you go for lunch or dinner?

The great thing about CPH is that it's not very touristy in the sense that there are very few chain restaurants. 99% of the restaurants are "mom and pop" places - and therefore "local".

You honestly can't go wrong finding a little place that gets your attention and has what you're looking for.

There are a ton of restaurants down near the Square/ Tivoli area and even more as you make your way down Stroget and in Nyhavn.

I think as long as you stay out of the fast food joints (we have McDonalds, Burger King and one KFC) and of course Hard Rock - - then you'll be just fine.

Enjoy!

CruisinEurope

We are planning a cruise from Copenhagen in early September. Can you tell what the weather would be?.

The airfare is cheaper if we can fly in 2 days earlier and go home 1 day later. We would like to go on a HoHo bus tour/canal, Tovili and possible other places if time permits.

Should we go the HoHo on the 1st day or last day of our stay in your city?. Any good place to eat close to Marriott (hope we can get a good rate here) or the Square.

Thank you.

Truyen

CruisinEurope

We are planning a cruise from Copenhagen in early September. Can you tell what the weather would be?.

The airfare is cheaper if we can fly in 2 days earlier and go home 1 day later. We would like to go on a HoHo bus tour/canal, Tovili and possible other places if time permits.

Should we go the HoHo on the 1st day or last day of our stay in your city?. Any good place to eat close to Marriott (hope we can get a good rate here) or the Square.

Thank you.

Truyen

First - book your hotel NOW. There is a HUGE conference happening in Early Sept, and I won't be surprised one bit if the entire city sells out.

Regarding the weather - CPH is usually nice in early sept. By nice I mean 50s/60s or so. Not sure where you're from, so not sure if that is nice by your standards or not. :D Layers & an umbrella will be key.

Do the HOHO bus first, as the tickets are good for 24 hours. So you can actually get on at noon on day 1, and do it again until noon of day 2 also. Plus, it's a great orientation of the city so that you will know what you want to hit on day 2 more in depth.

You can do a LOT in 2 days! CPH is a very compact and easy city to navigate. You can walk to most destinations from the pier.

(I'm making this bold in the hopes that others will see it)

Actually - if you visit http://www.ctw.dk and go to pages 16/18 you will see that they did a "cruise walk" where you head out from your cruise terminal and hit some of the major sites.

Here is a direct link (I hope):

http://www.e-pages.dk/villabyerne/152/

Enjoy!

I know you have probably answered this elsewhere in this thread, but would you mind telling me where to purchase the Copenhagan card near the ships port? We will arrive on the Consellation July 8 at 10:00 and stay through the 9th until 16:00. We had thought about HOHO the first day and rental car the second. In your opinion, is the card a better value?

Thanks

I know you have probably answered this elsewhere in this thread, but would you mind telling me where to purchase the Copenhagan card near the ships port? We will arrive on the Consellation July 8 at 10:00 and stay through the 9th until 16:00. We had thought about HOHO the first day and rental car the second. In your opinion, is the card a better value?

Thanks

the value of the card is only as good as you make it. the attractions have entrance fees and you have to do enough of them to "make a profit" on the CPH card. A real value though, is the free public transport. It makes it a great "no brainer" value in that regard.

regarding where you can get it - the closest station is Osterport, they have it there. Not sure if any of the shops have it at the pier.... need to go down there and check.

I would NOT rent a car. No way, no how. Parking is insane and you SO do not need one. The public transport is SO easy and most everything you want to get to is easy to do w/ the bus/train or on foot. A car is a total waste IMHO.

We had thought about HOHO the first day and rental car the second. Thanks

Regarding car rental, you no not need in Copenhagen. However, if you wish to travel outside the city, then it may or may not be necessary. For example, if you were to visit Roskilde, you can take a train there. If you wanted to visit Hillerod to see Frederiksborg castle, you can take a train there too. If you wanted to visit Helsingor and see Kronborg castle, well, you can take a train there too. But, if you wanted to do two of these, or all three, assuming you had the time, then a car would be quicker. Driving in the countryside is easy, in the city, not so easy or necessary. So, if you were considering renting a car, I'd have to ask, where were you planning on driving?

We will be in Copenhagen in mid-July for two days prior to boarding cruise ship. Contemplating staying in either Radisson SAS Royal or Marriott. Priority is comfort. Any advice will be welcomed.

Page Turner

My vote goes to the Marriott, as I was very comfortable there with American sized rooms, but I don't know anything about the other.

We will be in Copenhagen in mid-July for two days prior to boarding cruise ship. Contemplating staying in either Radisson SAS Royal or Marriott. Priority is comfort. Any advice will be welcomed.

Page Turner

either are wonderful. when we travel in Europe, we always choose Radisson SAS hotels. They are wonderful.

Location wise, the SAS wins hands down and would be MY personal choice.

Enjoy!

At first use. So I would start to use it ASAP on the first day and then save any "free stuff" for the afternoon of the second day. What days are you there anyhow - there are attraction closings to be concerned about if you're there on either a Monday or Tuesday.

No rides included with free entrance. We will be there July 8 and 9. So we would want to go to Tivoly the evening of the 8th to see the lights. Thanks so much for all your help, do you all have opinions on whether it is better to buy pass on-line or wait till we arrive?

First - book your hotel NOW. There is a HUGE conference happening in Early Sept, and I won't be surprised one bit if the entire city sells out.

Regarding the weather - CPH is usually nice in early sept. By nice I mean 50s/60s or so. Not sure where you're from, so not sure if that is nice by your standards or not. :D Layers & an umbrella will be key.

Do the HOHO bus first, as the tickets are good for 24 hours. So you can actually get on at noon on day 1, and do it again until noon of day 2 also. Plus, it's a great orientation of the city so that you will know what you want to hit on day 2 more in depth.

You can do a LOT in 2 days! CPH is a very compact and easy city to navigate. You can walk to most destinations from the pier.

(I'm making this bold in the hopes that others will see it)

Actually - if you visit http://www.ctw.dk and go to pages 16/18 you will see that they did a "cruise walk" where you head out from your cruise terminal and hit some of the major sites.

Here is a direct link (I hope):

http://www.e-pages.dk/villabyerne/152/

Enjoy!

Thank you for taking time to answer my questions.

Have a great day.

Truyen

I guess a better way to ask this question is: Does the 24 hour period begin at the cards first use or is it a calendar day?

Thanks

it is a 24 hour period. so if you purchase it at 11am it's good until 11am the next day.

you can purchase them online too if you have enough time available for it to be shipped to you.

CruisinEurope and Danish Viking,

Thank you for the information you provided that helped make our visit to Copenhagen so enjoyable.

CruisinEurope: The itinerary that you posted for us was right on target. We were able to do everything that we planned and had some time left for a few unplanned activities. By the way, you really have to try the tomato bisque at Cafe Norden. It is the greatest that we have ever tasted anywhere.

Copenhagen is a wonderful city, made for walking and we hope that everyone who visits has as good a time as we did.

Steve and Avra

We will be on the Star Princess disembarking in Copenhagen in May 2010...we have booked a room at the airport Hilton because it is right next door to the airport....My question is: how do we get from the Cruise Pier to the aiport Hilton.....appreciate any and all responses. :rolleyes:

Helen and Ray (Colorado)

Hello CruisinEurope. Just wanted to drop a note and Thank you again for all your helpful advice regarding Copenhagen. We are back now, and I'm still utterly amazed at what a BEAUTIFUL city you have!! Personally, it was my favorite city of the cruise, and yes, I did take your advice and have the "roasted hot dog with the works" across from the entry to Tivoli. It was fantastic. I also got to climb that steeple I wanted to at Our Saviour's church. I had no idea it was that high, nor that narrow at the top!! I climbed until the staircase was only about 10 inches wide and I couldn't fit any further, but I did "touch the gold" on the top! Probably the scariest climb yet, and definitely the highlight of my time in Copenhagen. We will definitely be back, as CPH is now on our "return to" list! It was perfect in every way.

Thanks again!

Ken

Archived