Places to Buy Wine Near Canada Place

The closest store is likely the BC Liquor Store in Harbour Centre about 3 blocks east of Canada Place. The one at Thurlow and Alberni is open on Sundays though. A word to the wise though....our wines in BC, both BC wines and CA wines are at least double that what you pay in the US, a sin tax so to speak. However, Canadian Customs does permit each adult to bring in 2 .750 litres each so if you may want to bring some wine with you and then reload in Alaska.;)

Hey PD - let's promote Buy BC on this thread - why export jobs to the US - shouldn't we be trying to promote our local great wines.

Well, we sent all our film and TV jobs to Vancouver, so let's call it even!!

Can you recommend local BC wines that are a good value for the price? I always try the local wines and beers when I'm traveling.

Hey PD - let's promote Buy BC on this thread - why export jobs to the US - shouldn't we be trying to promote our local great wines.

I can't argue with you and for the benefit of readers some of our wines that are produced in our southern Okanogan region in places like Oliver and Osoyoos are indeed world class and well worth a try.

What I choke on is the price. When I can purchase a pretty decent bottle of CA or Australian wine on sale in AZ at Safeway or Smiths (a Kroger sub) on sale for about $5 to $7 and that same bottle in our stores costs $10 to $15 it makes me a bit angry. I know, go have my heart attack in AZ and then whine about the price of wine in BC.;)

Can you recommend local BC wines that are a good value for the price? I always try the local wines and beers when I'm traveling.

Some of the better wineries in the southern Okanogan are:

Burrowing Owl

Nk'Mip (a joint venture with a wine company and aa Indian band)

Inniskillin

Hester Creek

Jackson-Triggs

Tin Horn Creek

Gehringer Bros (produce some wines that are just a little to sweet for me)

Black Hills

They all produce good wines and expect to pay $15 to $30 per bottle.

We also have some good breweries but I don't drink a lot of beer and the one that I do tend to be of the garden variety type. I am sure that someone else will help you on the beers front.

Thank you for the wine recommendations. Buying a few bottles in YVR will be a fun pre-cruise activity. If I see any of those labels down here in So Cal, I will let you know the price; it might be an interesting (or aggrivating) comparison!

Archived