Serenade - Norovirus concerns

I've recently read on the CC boards and member reviews that Norovirus has been present on the Serenade of the Seas for the past couple of months (at least past 8 weeks). I'm taking the ship to Alaska in the fall with my baby who will be 9 months old. Normally I wouldn't be overly concerned as I'm sure the cruise lines do what they can to prevent spreading the virus, but since the virus has been present for some time now and I will be traveling with a baby who will be eating some solids, I am wondering if I should reconsider going on Serenade this year. Is it normal for ships to have the virus continuous for quite sometime? Are there any precautions we can take other than the usual bit on washing hands well, etc.?

Who knows what germs will be floating around by fall? Don't get all in an uproar over this--you (or your child) can get Noro at the grocery store, in daycare (a prime spot for that virus!) or anywhere there are other people. It's not a "ship" sickness!

It's very contagious--that's why it tends to hang around for awhile. Just like schools--once someone has it, it just has to run it's course.

Your 9 month old won't be touching many of the surfaces where the virus can be transmitted, anyway. Bring some disinfecting wipes for your room (doorknobs, remote, lightswitches, drawer pulls, etc....) and then don't worry about it--it's out of your control!

As far as I can tell, nothing has been reported to the CDC for Serenade, so any outbreaks could not have been very severe. I wouldn't put too much stock in anecdotal reports of "lots" of people being sick.

My kids, now 12 and 4, have been cruising and traveling their whole lives, and so far, no health issues. The worst thing that even happened while traveling was my then 1 year old (now 4) got strep throat in Hawaii (probably on the plane, or already had it when we left) and we went to the hotel dr. and got meds, he was fine.

Here's what I do every time we travel:

Before anyone is allowed in the hotel room or cabin, I take out my anti-bacterial wipes and wipe down the entire room, even though it has probably just been cleaned, better safe than sick. I focus particularly on the tv remote, phone, doorknobs, and handles, and particulalry the entire bathroom. I also throw the comforter off the bed and into the closet where it will stay until I leave, because I have read one report too many about what wonderful fluids are found on unwashed hotel comforters. :eek:

Once the room had been wiped down, all can enter and have fun. I also carry the wipes in my purse the entire trip and wipe all tabletops before we eat, ad well as all little hands.

Here's what you need to remember-pack the wipes IN YOUR CARRY ON, not your luggage, as your luggage might not get to your cabin until the evening, and by then, it will be too late for un-germification of the room.

Don't worry, you and your baby will have a great time. And as someone else said, it isn't a cruise issue, it's a big group of people issue. My cousin got Noro on a land-based vacation about 14 years ago, about 200 people in the resort were ill, and no ship was invovled. Schools, nursing homes and hospitals are also prime places to catch it, so you can't really prevent it, only take precautions.:)

As far as I can tell, nothing has been reported to the CDC for Serenade, so any outbreaks could not have been very severe. I wouldn't put too much stock in anecdotal reports of "lots" of people being sick.

That's good to know. I get the pleasure of sailing the Serenade in a few weeks!

It is amazing what the news media can do to alarm people, some times its good and sometimes not. But then again I wonder if it is just not us making more of things than what needs to be.

We finally talked my Dad and his wife into going on a cruise with us. Dad is not to excited about it,I finally got him to tell me what his most concern was about going and he said, he was afraid he would get sick from someone else. He said he was not worried about the plane ride or being on the water it was getting sick from someone else. So I will take your advice and before he goes into a hotel room or a cabin I will wipe everything off with santi wipes. They take short trips and stay in a hotel at least three times a year but he does not seem to mind that, just the ship as that is what he has heard on the news. I just want this trip to be great it is the first time I have been on vacation with my Dad in about 35yrs. We have cruised several times and the main problem we have is DH gets sea sick! and all the meds make him so tired he can't go. We have used the sea bands for several cruises and that seems to work out. I think its mostly mind over matter but we won't tell him that!

Thanks for the reassurance and tips! Can't wait to sail.

you are more likely to get it in your own town, then on the cruise. It is NOT only a cruise ship illness unfortunately people have a lot of misconceptions about it. It is what we used to call the stomach bug or 24 hour bug (lasts longer) Does you child go to daycare? More likely to catch it there. Wash your hand thoroughly and you should be fine.

Archived