Galveston Port??

2boyzmom

I am planning a Panama Canal cruise and want to sail on Celebrity but leaving from Galveston seems very inconvenient comapred to Florida for me. Where is the closest airport? I live in New York and to get to Florida I can hop on a southwest cheap direct flight from an airport 20 minutes from my house (Islip airport). Galveston just sounds like a real pain especially toting 2 small boys along. Any thoughts or ideas?

you would want to fly into houston hobby airport as it is about 45 minutes from galveston. bush international is about an hour and a half. from hobby you would have to catch a shuttle or cab. we have used galveston limo several times and have found them to be very reliable. you find info for them at "www.galveston.com."

galveston is a pretty neat place. i am sure if you planned to go in a day early you would find plenty to keep the young'uns occupied.

The closest airport is Hobby in Houston. You can expect an hour drive from there to the port. If you use Bush expect at least an hour and a half.. If you would like to sail to Colon Panama and do a shore excursion of the canal check the Horizon. If you want to sail into the canal and out look at the Brilliance of the Seas or the Coral Princess

2boyzmom - No doubt that getting from the airport(s) Houston to the Galveston cruise terminal is not quite as easy as getting from the airport in Ft Lauderdale to the cruise terminal. While we're driving to Galveston, obviously not an option for you, and don't have to bother with flights and transfers, I'd think that the Houston/Galveston connection is probably a lot like the Orlando/Port Canaveral connection. Galveston and Houston are really warming to the idea of establishing Galveston as a cruise ship port and lots of activity is being directed to make that experience as pleasant as possible. Might suggest you check out some of the links on the right side of the website at www.galvestoncruises.com . The information on transportation, airports, hotels, etc., is about the best I've found in one single site.

Since I'm from Texas...I maybe a little biased but if Southwest flies from Islip into Houston...and it would be Hobby...I don't think it would be anymore trouble to get to the port than it would be any place in Florida. I would agree that if time allows an extra day before the cruise in Galveston would be a good deal. The boys can play on the beach if nothing else...pick sea shells up.

From somebody with a young son (age 7), I can assure you that there is a lot of fun stuff for kids to do in Galveston. The Moody Gardens is really interesting with an aquarium, rainforest, Imax rides, etc. There are also a good train museum and a good sea museum very close to the port. Galveston is a great place to visit prior to or after a cruise.

Continental has a hub in IAH, the airport that is a little further north (I think it's know as Bush Int'l now). I know how it is to travel with little ones.

Too bad you aren't going in January, we are and have a daughter 3 and son 1!

I asked TA that very question last week when I booked our Galaxy cruise for Feb. I had seen a travel bulletin for Airtran and the fare wasn't too bad flying from Dayton to Houston and TA said that was the best fare. She also said Celebrity shuttle might be expensive, but airline might have one free or lower cost or we could rent a car. She is looking into the best choice for us. We've always used the RCI shuttle and had good experiences. We can't fly in a day early due to our narrow time frame, so need reliable transportation to ship. When we did the Summit Alaska cruise/tour, we flew into Anchorage the night before starting the land tour, but that was the only way to do it, since the tour started at 7:30 AM. We flew into San Juan a day early last Feb and had a pre-stay hotel/shuttle package.

At least the ship leaves at 6, an hour later than our Miami departures. Wish we could avoid going through Atlanta, though.

Explorer E. Carib. 1/12/-2

Explorer W. Carib. 1/18/03

Summit Alaska cruise/tour 8/3/03

Adventure S. Carib. 2/8/04

Galaxy Panama Canal 2/3/05

One advantage of coming to Texas....The Johnson Space Center in Clear lake, TX....South of Houston. An absolutely outstanding way to spend a day or half a day reliving the US Space program.

"Houston, We have a problem" will suddenly gain news meaning as you physically stand next to a Saturn Rocket, Mercury capsules, Apollo Capsules, Gemini Capsules, a shuttle...and much more...

Ain't got that in Miami!

AND you will experience a crusie with some of the friendliest folks on this earth...TEXANS!

You can rent a car from Hobby or Bush Airports in Houston.

Hertz or Enterprise have dropoff in Galveston, Enterprise has the best prices.

Extreme Elegance has limo service to Galveston from both airports for about the same as a shuttle or even less. Ask for Ray, tell him Reggie sent Ya.

http://www.galveston.com/extremeelegance/

Reggie:D

Archived