Evening Wildlife Expedition - Princess/Skagway - any reviews?

buttah75

Here it is:

"Renowned naturalists, magnificent wildlife and breathtaking photo opportunities await you on a motorcoach journey through the "Valley of the Eagles."

Nestled between rugged glaciers and snowcapped mountains, the fertile Chilkoot Valley is home to generations of brown bears, bald eagles, mountain goats, river otters and salmon. Inquisitive visitors, bird watchers and photographers are fascinated by the profusion of migratory and resident birds. Powerful spotting scopes afford close-range views of mountain goats in alpine meadows, bears along the river and nesting eagles.

Colorful harlequin ducks, marbled murrelets, loons, surf scoters, seals, sea lions, porpoise and whales are other seasonal highlights. Experience the living tapestry within the rainforest during a refreshing walk beneath magnificent trees and through ancient muskeg. Relax during a tasty, picnic-style lunch before returning to Skagway. Don't miss this opportunity to experience the wildlife of Haines.

In August and September, when spawning salmon offer a greater chance to spot bears, we take advantage of the long Alaska twilight on a later departure of this tour called (*Evening Wildlife Expedition*)."

----If Skagway isn't great for wildlife, why so many great reviews on the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari?

This tour is out of Haines. But you are not going during peak eagle season, which is after the cruise season is over. It is a scenic area, but by bus is more limited than rafting. Don't go for the wildlife on this tour. You have less than a 25% chance of wildlife other that eagles. And eagles are everywhere in Alaska, you don't need a "tour", if interested in making an effort to see them.

As for Glacier Point, the main focus here too is scenery NOT wildlife. Many trips have very little if any wildlife viewing.

thanks, BQ. I guess we still need to figure out what to do in Skagway. If we weren't doing the heli-dogsled tour in Juneau, that would be a no brainer.

But we're saving so much money doing it w/Coastal in Juneau, thanks to all of you!

Driving up the Chilkat Valley (note, it isn't the "Chilkoot Valley" as the tour description says) in a bus is NOT the way to see wildlife. Even most of the raft trips see little except great scenery. The mountain goats are a mile away at the nearest, for example - white dots even with "powerful spotting scopes".

The mountain goats are a mile away at the nearest, for example - white dots even with "powerful spotting scopes".

I loved the goat up the hill from Caribou Crossing. Took me awhile to realize it never moved! ;)

Thanks everyone. This tour doesn't sound like it's for us. Back to the drawing board. I'm going to try and research some of the indie rail/bus tours that go to Emerald Lake and DON'T last more than 3.5 hours.

Thanks everyone. This tour doesn't sound like it's for us. Back to the drawing board. I'm going to try and research some of the indie rail/bus tours that go to Emerald Lake and DON'T last more than 3.5 hours.

There aren't any. For you to include both Emerald Lake and the train, you are looking at the long tours. The 3 1/2 hour tours only do either round trip rail, or rail/bus, going as far as Fraiser.

I'm going to try and research some of the indie rail/bus tours that go to Emerald Lake and DON'T last more than 3.5 hours.

It's 150 miles - even in your own car you'd be hard-pressed to do it, with no stops.

Archived