Flying in on sailing day

I'm always leary about flying in on departure day. I can't speak for Miami Airport (we always drive there the morning of departure from my in-laws about an hour away), but whenever we have sailed out of Port of Miami, we've gotten on board very quickly - within 10-15 minutes of arrival at the port. I don't know how long it will take to get to the port from the airport, but I would be careful - what if your plane is delayed? Do you have the option of coming in the night before? Good luck!

Whenever I see this question, I always think of poor Jamie who we followed across the country as she flew in day of and barely made the ship due to mechanical problems.

If everything goes right, you should be okay. But unfortunately with air travels these days, it's rare when everything goes right. Is that the earliest arrival you can get? Can you take a late flight out the night before and get a cheap hotel room for the night?

If your flight leaves on time and it's a non-stop, you'll have a good chance. Keep your fingers crossed there are no weather or mechanical problems.

Pack light so you can carry on, that way you won't be waiting the half hour or so for the luggage carousel. You need to plan at least an hour to get off the plane and find transportation to the port. I realize it could be less than that, but I'm one who like to pad extra time on when we travel.

Other than that, you won't really know until it's all history, but it is a bit of a gamble. They (the cruiseline) states they want you onboard at least 90 minutes ahead of sailaway, but we witnessed people boarding up to 15 minutes before sailaway on our last little cruise.

Whenever I see this question, I always think of poor Jamie who we followed across the country as she flew in day of and barely made the ship due to mechanical problems.

That was the girl who we were all cheering on, right? That was hysterical and wonderful all at the same time :)

Too risky for me to chance. You have enough time for apporixmately a two hour delay. If your flight is delayed by more than two hours it will be unlikely you can make it to the ship on time (you need to be on board at least 90 minutes prior to sailing time).

If at all possible fly in the day before. You get an extra day of vacation and a much, much lower chance of missing the ship. You can find really cheap hotels online these days, so it should not cost you much at all to do this.

Let us know what you decide. :)

We are cruising on the Majesty of the Sea and our departure time is at 5:00 and we have a flight scheduled to arrive in Miami at 12:30. Do yall think we will be ok with this or is is too late for sure.

You'll be fine. I've left the day of on all 5 of my cruises and never had any problems. All my cruises have beeen in May...if they were in the winter months or during hurricane season I may have considered leaving the day befoe. You should be on your ship in plenty of time before departure. when is your cruise?

You'll be fine. I've left the day of on all 5 of my cruises and never had any problems. All my cruises have beeen in May...if they were in the winter months or during hurricane season I may have considered leaving the day befoe. You should be on your ship in plenty of time before departure. when is your cruise?

You've been extremly lucky then... in May 07 I was flying from Orlando to Ft. Lauderdale... my flight was scheduled to leave at noon ... after several storms moved thru the area my flight finally left around 4 and arrived at around 5:30... IF I had been flying the day of sailing I would have missed the ship.. storms & mechanical problems can occur no matter when you fly...

Except for out of the U.S. cruises we have left the day of. We had a few close calls but always made it. Flights out of Milwaukee are usually on time. We have been delayed in Atlanta a few times, but still made it to the ship in time. We let RCI handle our flights.

Jan

Please don't provide people with a false sense of security. You cannot possibly know that they will be fine. If their plane is 2 and a half hours late (not at all uncommon) they will miss the ship. Although there a more delays in the winter, there are still plenty of delays during non-winter months (air traffic, mechanical problems, crew problems, thunderstorms, fog, etc.).

Ah yes, poor Jamie... That was touch and go for a while there...

It also reminds me of what happened to my mom a few months ago...

She was cruising Princess out of San Diego and they opted to fly in day of...

Plane left Indy on time, arrived in Denver on time, and was scheduled to arrive in San Diego on time also... Had the plane been on time, she would have had about 4 hours to get to the port... no problems...

Upon approaching San Diego, there was a storm and the plane couldn't land... They were literally in decent when it suddenly lurched upward and the Captain announced they would try their approach from the West... started to descend, nope, not gonna work... back into the air they went...

Captain announced they were going to Palm Springs... Those two descents had cost them fuel and they needed more fuel if they were going to be able to land in San Diego again...

By the time they refueled and got back to try and land in San Diego... Wow! She was onboard at 4:15 and the ship was scheduled to depart at 4:30!

I've never had a problem flying in the morning of the cruise, however we always arrive exhausted/headachy (perhaps from anxiety-induced insomnia the night before), and it puts a damper on our first day or two of the cruise.

For this reason, we decided to fly in ahead of time for our most recent two cruises. Don't you know, we missed our flight (Delta/JFK had changed the gate, but never made an announcement or sent someone to the original gate to inform the people who were waiting there). We couldn't get onto the next 2 flights because they were full. We finally boarded at 3pm and arrived in Orlando after 6pm. If that had been the day of the cruise, the Mariner would have left Port Canaveral hours before we would have gotten there.

One of the things I learned with our first cruise was to fly in a day early. Although we had no problem making the ship, flew into Miami from DC, arriving by 10AM, our niece and nephew left Balto several hours after us, got caught in weather into Ft Lauderdale, circled for so long they had to land at West Palm to refuel, and came on board about 10 minutes before the muster drill. Even though it wasn't me, I was a wreck, because the whole reason we went on the cruise was them. Today, they would not be allowed to board since all need to be on board 90 minutes ahead. So... for our Alaskan cruise, we are flying out 3 days early.

barb

The way the airlines are changing schedules, dropping flights, going out of business etc I would fly in at least the day before.

For now I will be sailing out of ports that I can drive to within a day. I live in the Atlanta area so there are 3 or 4 ports or more that I would drive to to avoid the airlines.

Please don't provide people with a false sense of security. You cannot possibly know that they will be fine. If their plane is 2 and a half hours late (not at all uncommon) they will miss the ship. Although there a more delays in the winter, there are still plenty of delays during non-winter months (air traffic, mechanical problems, crew problems, thunderstorms, fog, etc.).

Listen to Gonzo70 - his advice is good. If you read these boards over even a short period of time, you'll see sad stories of passengers flying in the day of embarkation and missing their ship because they thought they could make it. Flying is like driving the L.A. freeways, a tap of the brake lights miles ahead can create a traffic jam for no good reason. Same for airlines. One delayed flight creates a domino effect.

That being said, good luck if you decide to fly in the day of. If it's the first flight of the day and you're flying nonstop, I'd say you increase your chance or arriving on time.

Katink

We are cruising on the Majesty of the Sea and our departure time is at 5:00 and we have a flight scheduled to arrive in Miami at 12:30. Do yall think we will be ok with this or is is too late for sure.

Risky business!! It is a good idea to fly down the day before. Anything can delay a flight. Thunderstorms or bad weather ANYWHERE across the U.S. can delay departure and arrivals at your airport.

If all things work in your favor, a 12:30 arrival in Miami will work. If your flight is delayed anywhere along the line, you're in trouble.

Why risk missing the ship.

We have flown from LAX ( red eye ) numerous times to the east coast and have always made it on time. Have also flown to Canada the morning of our cruise and did not have any problems. You will be fine, don't worry, and have fun!

~Sue~

I've flown into Miami 3 times on cruise day with no problems. That said, I cruise in April or May and keep an eye on the weather for days ahead. I'm prepared to fly in the day before if I see something, I so far, let RCI book my air, and there is a direct flight from Columbus, Ohio to Miami that arrives at 10:30.

I don't use budget airlines and there are known alternatives and I would pay if I had to if changing flights became needed. I have changed jobs recently and don't have a lot of vacation time, so I'd rather save the day.

I'm always leary about flying in on departure day. I can't speak for Miami Airport

Many issues, but I'll touch on this one. Its a 10 minute taxi ride, currently $24 to the port. Taxis have been plentiful.

Unless it is a short, early morning non-stop flight, I wouldn't chance it. The later in the day, the more likely delays occur. Even good weather in your departure airport can be affected by poor weather on the other side of the country. And as other posters have noted, mechanical delays, cancellations, schedule changes, bankruptcies.....just make it too risky. If your schedule allows, start your vacation a little early and go a day or two before. Any airline snafus will be out of the way and you will be that much more relaxed when your cruise departs.

There was a thread a few weeks ago where someone was keeping the CC members posted in real time about one of their family members who was flying from NY to FLL and te plane was delayed. It weas like sitting on pins and needles.

Long story short... they got there in the nick of time after wiating for their luggage (which was last to come off).... tehn havin gthe cab driver drive 85mph from FLL to MIA.

Best I remember one agent at check in told them it was too late but someone else let them on... they literally had seconds to spare.

After reading that.... I changed mine to fly in the day before. Same thing goes for return flights... dont rush! It is vacation.

I am the first to rush.... I am rushed and stressed everyday at work... I have learned to step it down a notch on vacation.

Archived