First timers to Alaska, need a little help

xgilady

I’ve cruised Royal Caribbean once and Carnival twice. I keep hearing good things about Celebrity so were looking at Celebrity Infinity, on June 09 to celebrate our 20th Wedding Anniversary. We are sailing from Seattle and I have some questions for you seasoned travelers:

At anytime during the cruise, does Infinity sail the inside passage or at least close to it? Why was it taken off the itinerary?

I’m looking at these cabins; any cabins have obstructed views, overhangs, noise, or other problems? Advice on which one is best?

2A

8006 – Panorama

9041 – Sky

9036 – Sky

2B

7144, 7146, 7151 – Vista

2C

6093, 6092, 6091 – Penthouse

I’m also looking at

CC

6135, 6136 Penthouse

7179 – Vista

Your help is very much appreciated.

Thanks

It does look like they have eliminated the inside passage. That is one of the joys of doing Alaska. So that is something to consider in narrowing down your choices.

Seattle and Victoria are both excellent ports though. So that's a plus and the airfare generally is cheaper out of Seattle than Vancouver or Anchorage.

As for the best cabin for this type of cruise. I would choose a cabin on the starboard (right side) since it looks like that would give you the best viewing.

Of the cabins you mentioned, I would choose 6092. It is midship, starboard side. It is not a connecting cabin, which is important. I was on Constellation in 2006 in a connecting cabin and could hear everything being said in the next room and vice versa.

Rebeccalouise,

Reading the boards, Inside Passage is a place not to be missed, so I'm also looking at Norwegian Pearl, it leaves the same month. It goes to inside passage and Glacier Bay. Any comparisons to Celebrity?

My top 3 reasons for cruising is: Itinerary, food and a nice room.

Thanks

Rebeccalouise,

Reading the boards, Inside Passage is a place not to be missed, so I'm also looking at Norwegian Pearl, it leaves the same month. It goes to inside passage and Glacier Bay. Any comparisons to Celebrity?

My top 3 reasons for cruising is: Itinerary, food and a nice room.

Thanks

Norwegian cruises are very fun. You will have a good time on Norwegian. The ships aren't as sophisticated as Celebrity. Norwegian is RCL equivalent to Carnival cruise line- in terms of style. The ships are brightly decorated "fun" ships. Food is generally good and their is a wide variety. I did Norwegian twice to Alaska. The outdoor pools are heated to a comfortable 98 degrees in Alaska.

Cabins on Norwegian tend to be on the small side- as are the balconies. I would book the best cabin you can afford.

I'm just back from Alaska on the Infinity. I'm planning on posting a long review later.

This was my first Alaska cruise after three to the Caribbean (2 on Carnival, 1 on NCL). Our ininerary on the Infinity was Ketchikan, Hubbard Glacier, Juneau and Victoria and Sitka (not in that order!). We got to within 1/2 mile of the Hubbard Glacier and it was spectacular.

Our cabin was 8112, a concierge class cabin. Everyone's preferences are different, but I prefer NCL to both Carnival and Celebrity after sailing all three. On the NCL Pearl we had an AE aft cabin with concierge and butler service that I felt was fabulous. I did not feel that the concierge class on the Infinity was anything special and that cabin, I believe, was identical to the regular balcony cabins. Our AE cabin on the Pearl was really large, with the fantastic coffee maker and plasma screen TV. We also had VIP check-in on the Pearl where we were actually walked on board, and if that's what we had in Seattle on the Infinity, it wasn't very special. (But a disclaimer--we were really early getting on the Infinity so maybe the check-in wasn't ready.)

All of that being said, the service on the Celebrity was understated, but fantastic. I think I like Freestyle cruising better, and I would have to still give the edge on food to Carnival--but that's just my preference. The naturalist, Brent Nixon, on the Infinity was outstanding and really added much to our viewing of the Glacier. He also gave talks each day about the wildlife, as well as an overview of Alaska itself. He was definitely a highlight of the cruise. I don't know if NCL provides someone like him on the Alaska cruises.

Finally, I wish someone had really told me about what to take to wear. As usual, I took too much. When you read "layers", that's exactly what you should do. I took my wool "car" length coat and never took it out of my suitcase. I mostly wore jeans, turtlenecks, a raincoat and a scarf. It was 40's to very low 60's in temperature, overcast and rainy (misty, not downpours) almost the entire trip. Of course, the inside of the ship is very comfortable, so you mostly need something you can throw on that's warm enough when you're on deck or on a shore excursion. You do not need boots for any of the excursions that we did, which of course I also took! I live in Atlanta, Georgia, and I think if I had thought of the weather as late fall, but not winter, I would have had a better grasp of what to take.

We did the Helicopter Glacier Walkabout (boots, coat, gloves and equipment like crampons are provided), the Rainforest Canoe and Hike and the Victoria Butchart Gardens and Chocolate/Wine tour. The helicopter tour was a lot of fun and it was quite an experience walking on the glacier.

My only other real complaint is that we were not in most of the ports for more than a few hours, so we weren't able to do an excursion and shop (important to many of us women!). I think that has to do more with the intinerary and distances, so I don't know if any other cruise would offer more time. We didn't arrive in Victoria until about 7:15 p.m. because of bad weather and we had to be back aboard by midnight, so that was particularly short; too bad because we really enjoyed the Gardens and the wine tour, but felt rushed.

BTW, because I had to change our cruise date from earlier in May to late May, I lost my super-duper CC class cabin with the secret larger balcony. Maybe if I had gotten one of those with the larger balcony I would have felt better about my cabin.

Now, aren't you all glad this was my short review!

I did not feel that the concierge class on the Infinity was anything special and that cabin, I believe, was identical to the regular balcony

Concierge class cabins on M class ships are larger than regular balcony cabins. Did you take advantage of any of the perks such as the wonderful breakfast menu?

Brent Nixon is absolutely a highlight. No question about it.

We were in cabin 6135 a couple of months ago going thru the Panama Canal. It is a wonderful cabin. The cabin itself is a bit larger, however it is an adjoining cabin. We never heard any noise from next door though. Because it is an adjoning cabin you actually have two wing back chairs rather than a sofa. We thought that was actually pretty nice for when we ate breakfast in the cabin. The balcony is great. You have two loungers as well as two chairs. You also have a small side table and a larger bistro size table. The deck itself is teak which makes it nice. We would go with this cabin again in a heart beat. We have actually gone to Alaska twice on the Infinity and I can tell you it doesn't matter which side you are on as you will see the senery only half the time anyway, either on the way up or on the way back. And when you get to the Hubbard Glacier, the Captain takes his time and turns the ship a full 360 deg. Enjoy your trip.

"We did the Helicopter Glacier Walkabout (boots, coat, gloves and equipment like crampons are provided), the Rainforest Canoe and Hike and the Victoria Butchart Gardens and Chocolate/Wine tour. The helicopter tour was a lot of fun and it was quite an experience walking on the glacier."

How did you like the Rainforest Canoe and Hike? We're booked on that in July.

:)

We were in 6093 a few years ago. It's a very quiet hall. Not too far from the midship elevator. The deck below has the lifeboats but you do not miss a thing by having them there. That's why 2Cs are a tad cheaper than 2Bs.

To get to Juneau and Ketchikan you ARE on the inside passage.

Now, aren't you all glad this was my short review!

Not really, I would enjoy you telling us more details;) . We are sailing in less than two weeks and I also would like to know more about the "rainforest canoe" excursion as well as the Gardens.

I totally understand why you enjoy NCL and freestyle. I am glad Celebrity offers us the "casual" dinning option, we really enjoy dinning at the time we want and the staff on Century casual dinning was great!

So, please get busy and start writing your "long" review please:D .

Thanks,

John

We also just got back from Alaska on the Infinity (5/30-6/6--Hi mom58!!). It was our first time on Celebrity (have cruised Carnival and Princess). We really had a wonderful time--great weather, Brent Nixon, 3/10 of a mile from the Hubbard Glacier (the sound of the calving will live in my memory forever!!).

We were a little disappointed that we spent most of the time on the open ocean, especially on the way up north. Fortunately, we had great weather during that time. Spent some time in the inside passage after leaving Ketchikan, but again, popped out into the ocean after Queen Charlotte Island and sailed along the western side of Vancouver Island (where we hit some rough seas).

We were in cabin 8163 (concierge class). It was a bit bigger than the regular balcony cabins, but the extras were just so-so. The best part was going through priority embarkation. We were travelling with nine people and the regular line was quite long. We breezed right though in the priority line and boarded quite rapidly.

The ship was beautiful. Especially loved the Constellation lounge. It is located on the 10th level in the very front of the ship and has excellent views. We sat with Brent Nixon (the naturalist onboard) one afternoon searching for whales. What fun!

I am totally jealous and hope you have as good a time as we did. Enjoy--it goes too fast!!!!

Archived