First Cruise: RC Greece and Dalmatian Coast: Debarkation Question

sakana

Hi, I'm going on my first cruise with mother in October (Splendour of the Seas Dalmatian Coast). I picked that cruise over another RC cruise at the same time because of the ports visited.

We used frequent flyer miles to fly into Venice and are spending 3 nights pre-cruise in Verona 3 nights post cruise in Venice. I did some forum searching and found a lot of questions about getting off the boat *fast* but not any asking about getting off *slow* ;).

The cruise information states that we will arrive in Venice after the cruise at 6:30 AM. Check-in at our accommodations isn't until noon. How long can we stay aboard the ship? Will they feed us breakfast? I see as an option that we can check our luggage at the port - then wander around sightseeing until we can check in at our accommodations, but I'd rather dally on the ship (and eat) if we can and just go straight to check-in.

I have my fingers crossed for us. Read some abysmal reviews of our ship - but also read some very nice reviews. This trip is a very nice birthday present to me from my mom. I'm in charge of planning - am trying to economize as much as I can, planning our self guided tours and such. I was thinking of renting a scooter on Santorini, has anyone done this? What is an international driver's license (referred to on the rental sites) - will a state driver's license suffice?

Hi, I took that same cruise last may. Splendour is a wonderful ship. You can read my review under members reviews. My wife and I stayed in Venice post cruise so we were in no hurry to leave. We departed around 0845. Stayed in our cabin until they started to let people off; then I ran up to windjammer and got some cont'l breakfast items and we ate in our cabin. When we left we got on elavator down the hall and bam we were gone. As far as renting a scooter in santorini. The prettiest part of the island is Oja. It's on the opposite side from where you dock. the roads have lots of curves. So if you like riding sharp curves then go for it.

They will want you off the ship as early as possible to get the ship ready for the next group of passengers. Probably, you'll be off by around 9am. The ship cannot store your luggage, nor would you want them to, because your bags will get mixed up with the bags of those who will be embarking on the next cruise. The hotel will store your bags until you can check in, so do not leave them at the port with the ship. Besides, you'll need to go through Italian Customs with your bags in your possession.

They will provide breakfast on the ship, but that will end by 8am. They will not serve you lunch. The new passengers who are taking the cruise after your's will probably begin embarking by 11am, so they will make you leave the ship pretty early. They will also make you report to a public lounge pretty early, so that your cabin can be made up for the next guests.

Archived