More easy Oceania questions--clocks, computers, corkscrews, and trivia/lecturers

eknightley

Hi all,

More updates please!

1) Clocks

Do staterooms have clocks or clock radios? In 2004, I think we used a travel alarm clock.

2) Computers

a) Does the library still have a computer workstation?

b) Do the current Oceania computers accept flashdrives?

c) Is it possible to draft in Microsoft Word (or other program), save (for how long?), and then cut and paste after launching a purchased internet session?

3) Corkscrews

If you buy local wine and then wish to try it in your cabin, where do you get the corkscrew? Will one be available or is everyone who does this traveling with a personal corkscrew?!

4) Trivia & Lecturers (I ran out of C's.)

On the 2004 cruise, trivia was so much fun! I think it was late afternoon--maybe 5:00-6:00. Though that cruise was very port intensive, the upcoming July cruise (Scandanavian/Baltics) seems even more so. Perhaps, also, we are having more evenings to stay ashore. So are daily trivia games still provided and if so, when? Lecturers? Or would these activities only be available on sea days?

Thanks again!

Emma

Hi all,

More updates please!

1) Clocks

Do staterooms have clocks or clock radios? In 2004, I think we used a travel alarm clock.

clocks

2) Computers depends on the state room

a) Does the library still have a computer workstation? YES 2

b) Do the current Oceania computers accept flashdrives? do not know

c) Is it possible to draft in Microsoft Word (or other program), save (for how long?), and then cut and paste after launching a purchased internet session? I believe so ...you login in under your user name then it will stay there maybe till they wipe out your account after the cruise

3) Corkscrews

If you buy local wine and then wish to try it in your cabin, where do you get the corkscrew? Will one be available or is everyone who does this traveling with a personal corkscrew?!

We bring a small one but I am sure your cabin steward would get one for you

Thanks again!

Emma

Hope this heps

We just completed the Rome-Stockholm trip. Trivia tries to be 5-6pm. But the port arrival time can change it. We had it as early as 9:30am one day. It is still fun and tomorrow's quiz will be easier than today's. Pat

2) Computers

a) Does the library still have a computer workstation?

The library has two workstations and a printer. The Oceania@Sea computer room has 18 and a printer. Both are open 24/7/

The library computers do not. The Oceania@Sea computer room laptops accept them BUT you must (1) have them virus-scanned by the staff and (2) there is a flat $10 charge for the duration of your cruise(s) for the use of that USB drive.

c) Is it possible to draft in Microsoft Word (or other program), save (for how long?), and then cut and paste after launching a purchased internet session?

Yes, you first log in to the "free" side to compose in Word, Excel, or Powerpoint and save the file. Then log out and log back in to the Internet side and copy and paste.

3) Corkscrews

Your cabin steward can assist you with a corkscrew but I suggest you bring one with you. Be sure it goes in your checked luggage.

4) Trivia & Lecturers (I ran out of C's.)

On the 2004 cruise, trivia was so much fun! I think it was late afternoon--maybe 5:00-6:00. Though that cruise was very port intensive, the upcoming July cruise (Scandanavian/Baltics) seems even more so. Perhaps, also, we are having more evenings to stay ashore. So are daily trivia games still provided and if so, when? Lecturers? Or would these activities only be available on sea days?

There are trivia games every day -- port or not -- and sometimes more than one.

(-: Jack

Hi Emma

b) Do the current Oceania computers accept flashdrives? YES

c) Is it possible to draft in Microsoft Word (or other program), save (for how long?), and then cut and paste after launching a purchased internet session? YES

On the 2004 cruise, trivia was so much fun! I think it was late afternoon--maybe 5:00-6:00. Though that cruise was very port intensive, the upcoming July cruise (Scandanavian/Baltics) seems even more so. Perhaps, also, we are having more evenings to stay ashore. So are daily trivia games still provided and if so, when? OUR LAST CRUISE IT WAS 5PM EVERY DAY

I have been on 2 cruises on O and the Trivia component was remarkably different.

On the first cruise, Trivia was held each day at about 4 or 4:30 PM. It was held in the Lounge, with as many as 10 teams participating. The Cruise Director (CD) clearly enjoyed the task. The passengers really got into it, with intense but courteous rivalries building as each day passed. The number of players was as many as 70 to 80 on a given day. Trivia took close to an hour, if not a bit more. It was raucous and fun. Friendships were formed and the CD played a charming and effective role as teams bonded through the entire cruise.

On the second cruise, Trivia was held in the Martini's Bar area, typically at 4 or 4:30 PM. The game was over in an half hour or less. The CD had other responsibilities at 5 PM; the number of teams peaked at 4 or 5; the participant head count was never more than 20 -25. There was scant rivalry and banter between and among teams. The job of running Trivia was just that, a job. Spirit lacked, the space provided was self limiting, Enjoyable, but not the environment that cruise # 1 had and not the spirit that cruise # 1 nurtured.

We happen to enjoy Trivia and enjoyed it on both cruises, but, to be truthful, the experience on # 1 spoiled us. Your own response is likely somewhat dependent on who is the CD and the emphasis and time devoted to that activity by him.

We cruised Insignia Rome to Athens so I have a few answers. There was a small battery operated alarm clock in our room and I assume in all others. We were in 8010. We purchased wine in many ports to consume in our room. We had a butler and he supplied a corkscrew for the wine. I understand that room stewards would do this also. He actually opened ours for us. We really didn't use the butler for much. Just the wine and ordered afternoon snacks.

We felt the computer help was lacking. The people were very nice, but getting information and asking questions was like pulling teeth. Not very forthcoming. We signed up to transfer photos to a flash drive after they told us is was by appointment and the spaces go quickly. When my husband went down to the lab to transfer, it was a class that lasted about 1 hour and it was geared to beginners. They basically insisted that he go along with the class. He is computer literate and only want to do the transfer. He was told he must do it with the class. We told the tech that we were led to understand that they would do the transfer for us and they said no-you had to do it with the class. Maybe I didn't ask the right questions or talk to the right people, but we were extremely disappointed with the so-called computer experts.

All in all, the cruise was wonderful. The crew were extremely pleasant and helpful at every turn. We loved Insignia and would cruise on Oceania in a second.

We felt the computer help was lacking. The people were very nice, but getting information and asking questions was like pulling teeth. Not very forthcoming. We signed up to transfer photos to a flash drive after they told us is was by appointment and the spaces go quickly. When my husband went down to the lab to transfer, it was a class that lasted about 1 hour and it was geared to beginners. They basically insisted that he go along with the class. He is computer literate and only want to do the transfer. He was told he must do it with the class. We told the tech that we were led to understand that they would do the transfer for us and they said no-you had to do it with the class. Maybe I didn't ask the right questions or talk to the right people, but we were extremely disappointed with the so-called computer experts.

All in all, the cruise was wonderful. The crew were extremely pleasant and helpful at every turn. We loved Insignia and would cruise on Oceania in a second.

The computer people on the Nautica were great. Yes, they taught courses that this not so computer literate took but they also answered a lot of questions in between classes. I have no idea how flash drives work but I transferred all my pictures on to the computer in the lab, worked on them and when I had enough they downloaded them on to a CD. The CD cost $20 and if you have a problem when you get home they will send a replacement if you contact them within 2 weeks. Evidentially they keep all the files for 2 weeks after a cruise. Anytime there wasn't a class everyone could use the computers. They were very helpful with some of us that aren't as computer literate as others. Sorry you hit ones that weren't at all helpful.

>We felt the computer help was lacking. The people were very nice, but >getting information and asking questions was like pulling teeth. Not very >forthcoming. We signed up to transfer photos to a flash drive after they told >us is was by appointment and the spaces go quickly. When my husband >went down to the lab to transfer, it was a class that lasted about 1 hour >and it was geared to beginners. They basically insisted that he go along with >the class. He is computer literate and only want to do the transfer. He was >told he must do it with the class. We told the tech that we were led to >understand that they would do the transfer for us and they said no-you had >to do it with the class. Maybe I didn't ask the right questions or talk to the >right people, but we were extremely disappointed with the so-called >computer experts.

It sounds like there was a communication problem. The class was to show people how to do the picture transfer. The class uses the same set of sample pictures for everybody so that all are together in the class. If you already know how to download and transfer, then there is no need to take the class.

If you already know how or have taken the class, you can do the transfer from the camera anytime the computer room is staffed (so you can have a media card reader to use). Each passenger has up to 1.5GB of free storage on the Oceania@Sea server.

Also, the first time you use the USB flash drive, the staff will scan it for viruses and charge you a one-time $10 fee for the use of the server and the computers (and in lieu of charges for CDs to hold the pictures).

Hi all,

Thanks to all for your replies; they are very helpful.

A corkscrew, but not a clock may go into the luggage! I also hope, Fetchpeople, that your first experience with trivia will be mine. It was a friendly, convivially competive event on my first O. cruise. Pacmom Pat, I know what you mean about how easy it will be--tomorrow!

PVCruiser Jack, really good to know about the amount of storage after logging in. Maybe I won't need the flashdrive and fee/one-time virus-scanning. It seems odd because anyone could use the same flashdrive in a shoreside internet cafe and then return to the lab, right? Do the lab attendants install some recognition software on the USB drive? Otherwise, it seems as if anyone could use one any time in the Oceania lab. (I'm mostly interested in using the drive for documents, not photos which I'll store on my memory cards and of course, not in circumventing any Oceania procedures though I already have a very high degree of virus protection in home and workplace). Sorry your experience did not match Jack's or Cathi's, Hezzy. Not having someone recognize your IT skills can be frustrating.

Thanks again to all, including LHT28 and 2kiwis.

Emma

Hi all,

...clip...

...clip...

Thanks again!

Emma

Instead of a flash card/stick, take an extra SD card or similar that cameras use.

It's been a couple of years since being on Oceania, but they provided memory adapters to allow folks to download photos from the cards in their cameras. The adapters had slots for different types of cards.

These cards are most commonly used for photos but, when connected, act no different that a flash card/stick and are capable of storing most anything.

> It seems odd because anyone could use the same flashdrive in a shoreside

> internet cafe and then return to the lab, right? Do the lab attendants install

> some recognition software on the USB drive?

No software installed, just a simple virus scan. Your point is a valid one. Somebody could get a virus on their flash drive at an Internet Cafe and bring it to the ship after that scanning.

(-: Jack

Archived