iPod Excursions

shellbeachjim

Did anyone else see this news item?

http://www.princess.com/news/article.jsp?newsArticleId=na957

Here's the part I found interesting:

Grab an iPod and Go -The convenience of a do-it-yourself day combined with the expertise of a recorded guide. These walking tours offer the use of a pre-loaded iPod for the day as well as a customized map. Travelers can set their own pace as they listen to a detailed narration about the area's most important points of interest, and can follow a suggested walk route or create their own adventure. Walking tours are available in Amalfi, Athens, Barcelona, Cannes, Capri, Corfu, Dubrovnik, Florence, Lisbon, Monte Carlo, Mykonos, Pisa, Portofino, Rhodes, Rome, and Sorrento.

Now, what Princess finds interesting and what I find interesting are probably very different, it seems to be a clever way to merge technology and travel. Of course there could be a long string of fellow passengers walking along the same route all with the very identifiable white ear buds attached.

Following up my own post...

According to USA Today, the cost will be $29 and you must leave a credit card as a security deposit to pick up the iPod. I doesn't appear you can download the walking tour into your own iPod.

With Apple's announcements this week, what would be cool would be an iPhone application which had the walking tours - integrated with maps and with the GPS capability of the upcoming iPhone 3G. I know I'm dreaming...

There are lots of websites that offer Ipod tours for download, including local tourist bureaus. We were in Cambridge, England a couple of years ago and the tourist bureau there was offering them. And I've heard of tours for other places as well, including neighboring Washington, DC.

I just did a Google search for "ipod tours athens" and it returned over 41,000 hits. If you have time for a little research before your trip, I'm sure you can find tours to download on your own. And they will likely be less expensive than $29.

Hope you have luck!

Archived