Having your hair done on the ship?

I'm just talking about an "updo" for formal night. Has anyone had this done before? How was it? Thanks for any info! :)

Trust me - it'll be pricey! Probably in the neighborhood of say $50! Why not try doing it yourself? I did and got many compliments - young girls thought I had it done and I said, nope, I did it myself with the curling iron!

Laurie

I'm just not talented enough to do it myself. LOL! I have long, heavy, thick, naturally curly hair....the most I can do is a pony tail. :D I wouldn't mind parting with the $50 (it's $35 around here) if they do a great job. ;)

The prices vary by length of hair. I think an updo was priced at $65-$75 on my cruise last month. I know it cost $35 for just a shampoo and blowdry on my short (chin length) hair.

Also...you can type in "formal updo" (or something to that effect) into the search bar on YouTube and get tutorials on how to do simple hair that looks really elegant. That's how I'm doing mine when I go in January. Just a though :)

Thanks for that info...never thought about that. I'll have to give it a try! :)

Thanks for that info...never thought about that. I'll have to give it a try! :)

You can also find tutorials for makeup too...I find those fun to watch. I found a couple for the dramatic smokey eye effect (perfect for formal nights), which I tried after I watched the tutorial, and it came out great! You can find just about ANYTHING on YouTube! Gotta love technology! :cool:

I have hair that is just above shoulder length but has lots of layers. It's impossible for me to do my own up-do so I have done it on the ship for each of my cruises. I've never been charged more than $35-$40 and they always come out beautiful and last all evening. Definitely worth paying for it. Just don't let them talk you into their hair ornaments like rhinestone clips. They cost just as much as the up-do. I bring my own from home and they put those in without any issue.

I ALWAYS have my hair done in an upsweep on the ships. They do a wonderful job and are more than happy to use your own hair clips or whatever. It does help though to tell then what you have in mind... I tell then I want a sleek look, no poof!!

To some this may be expensive but for me is part of the fun of formal night. I would pick this over a spa treatment or a nice bottle of wine. We all make our choices, mine is an upsweep!

Oh edit... you are not limited to an upsweep.. Once I told them I wanted to go with spiral curls. The front was pulled back and I wore my hair long in spirals... That was fun too!

When you make reservations to have it done for formal night, what approx time to you schedule it for? We're scheduled for the late dinner.

I may see if my own hair stylist can teach me but if not, I'll find a pic of what I kind of want and go from there. ;)

I had my hair done in an up-do for formal night once on a ship - it was around $60 or so. I didn't go with any sparkly clips, so no extra cash there. My hair was about down to my collar bones, and they pulled it up, curled the ends and kind of bobby-pinned the ends down. It was really pretty, and I'd love to do it again. Only problem was, they were running late for my appointment, and I had about 15 minutes to get dressed for dinner. No biggy, as I had my makeup already done, but I didn't get my veg-on-the-balcony-with-a-glass-of-wine time before hand. So my advice would be to book it early - early in the trip, and early before dinner! :D

I wish I could do my own hair for an updo, I have straight fine hair but it's thick, I can't even get it too look nice in a pony tail, lol

I may just wear it back on the sides so my earrings will show.

Does anyone know if we're allowed to bring curing irons or hot rollers on board the ship, I seem to recall reading somewhere that you can't bring curling irons :confused:

I believe personal curling irons, hair dryers, rollers, are all a No No on a ship. Has to do with fire regulations I am told. Ship hair dryers are provided in each cabin.

I too love to get my hair done for formal nights - as said, it's part of the fun. I love to get all dressed up in my formal gown and an updo definitely is needed to complete the look. I could never do it on my own since I have long hair.

I usually pay about $60.00, including gratuities and bring my own rhinestones. Yes, those clips offered on the ship can be quite expensive.

I usually schedule the appointment no later than 5:00 - 5:15 p.m., leavng plenty of time to get make-up done and get dressed for photos before dinner (late seating).

Book your hair appointment as soon as you board the ship to get the appointment time.

Have fun!

:)

If you are considering this for formal night, some recent prices:

Hair Up Styles ...from $60

Shampoo, set, blow dry ....from $42

If you are going to do this, book as soon as you get onboard. If you have booked over the internet, confirm your appointment as soon as you get on board (otherwise you may find you have no appointment).

Curling irons/flat irons are allowed on cruise ships...you can also check out this link for a little more input:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=480822

Well that's good to know, maybe I'll do a practice run trying to do my own hair before I cruise, using hot rollers and clips. If I can't make it look nice then I'll pay for the updo.

My daughter who is 7 will be cruising too, she has some head of hair, long past the middle of her back silky straight. It's so fine it's even hard for me to braid it. I think I'll do a practice run on her hair too. Going to need alot of hairspray for me and her, our hair doesn't like to hold a curl.

Archived