sea sickness

Cmorganz

A friend of ours said the ocean was rough leaving Seattle and we should take some sea sick pills. I have been on other cruises out of Florida with no trouble. We leave Saturday for Alaska on the Star and want to be prepared if Neccessary.

We have been on several cruises and I always end up sick at least once. We were on the Pearl June 25 sailing and I thought we had a couple of rough patches. I had been reading about ginger tablets so I decided to give it a try. I started a week before the trip and continued while on the trip. For the first time ever I had no problems at all. Good Luck

A friend of ours said the ocean was rough leaving Seattle and we should take some sea sick pills. I have been on other cruises out of Florida with no trouble. We leave Saturday for Alaska on the Star and want to be prepared if Neccessary.

The only time I have ever been sea sick was once when I layed down to go to bed. We were in an Aft AE suite on the NCL Sun. My DP had read that if you leave a light on it will help. We turned on the bathroom light and shut the door to just a crack.. Sure enough within a few minutes my sea sickness was all gone and I was fast asleep.

I can not recomment GINGER PILLS enough. I have chronic motion sickness and these are the ONLY thing that works without any side affects. Well they do have 1 side affect, they help promote digestion. On a cruise thats not all bad. :-)

Mythbusters actually did a show on sickness pills and found that ginger worked the best of all of them.

Go for the Ginger!

It's probably best if you're prepared with whatever works for you to relieve seasickness, whether it's Bonine, Ginger capsules, wrist bands, etc.

On our cruise out of Seattle we had fog and calm seas the first night out, but during the second night it got very rough. But it's not uncommon for there to be rough seas the first night after leaving Seattle.

Bonine works well and you can get your doctor to prescibe it and have your insurance pay for it. It's cheaper as a prescription. You don't have to pay for packaging and advertising. The Rx is for Meclizine.

As for me, the queen of sea sickness, I'll stick with my transderm-scopolamine patch.

I stick it behind me ear on the mastoid bone the day we leave on the plane and forget it's there for 3 days at which time I put on a fresh new one. I've worn it on every cruise some of which were in very high seas and it allowed me to get to every meal!!! :) Only precaution is to not touch the patch and then rub your eyes. It can cause your pupils to dialate. Just wash your hands after touching.

It's a Rx as well. Oh and you can swim, shower with it with no problem.

For me it's better safe than sorry!!

Bonine is not a prescription drug, it is sold over the counter at Walmart, as well as drug stores. It works great!

You are correct but you can buy the prescription form of it and have your insurance pay for it and it's cheaper. The Rx form is called Meclizine.

I too swear by the scopolomine patch. I can get seasick in a bathtub! Unfortunately for some it's not an option as it can cause blurry vision and severe dry mouth. I'm so glad it's never affected me that way. Good luck with whatever you choose because being sick stinks!

Kristy

Bonine works well and you can get your doctor to prescribe it and have your insurance pay for it. It's cheaper as a prescription. You don't have to pay for packaging and advertising. The Rx is for Meclizine.

As for me, the queen of sea sickness, I'll stick with my transderm-scopolamine patch.

I stick it behind me ear on the mastoid bone the day we leave on the plane and forget it's there for 3 days at which time I put on a fresh new one. I've worn it on every cruise some of which were in very high seas and it allowed me to get to every meal!!! :) Only precaution is to not touch the patch and then rub your eyes. It can cause your pupils to dilate. Just wash your hands after touching.

It's a Rx as well. Oh and you can swim, shower with it with no problem.

For me it's better safe than sorry!!

Meclizine (Bonine) works well and it is best to take it "before" you get seasick. Do as Kevinscruising's wife does and take it before you get on the ship and then take it each day.

You can buy Meclizine directly from your pharmacist, with no prescription, for around $10.00 for 100 25 mg. pills. There is no need for a doctors visit for the prescription. The doctors visit co-pay plus the prescription co-pay will probably be more than the medication plus waste yours and the doctor's time.

Take care,

Mike

I tried the ginger tablets too after seeing it on a tv show. it really worked. I liked that I didn't feel gorked out on dramamine. One day I took 2 ginger tabs though and that gave me a little heart burn and upset tummy. I would not recommend that. My mother had gone to China and purchased the real intense ginger candy and it gave her hot flashes. She did say that was a side effect to the ginger-- so if you are already annoyed by those, you may want something else. You can find ginger tabs at a vitamin shop in the malls.

i have done a bunch of reading of the clinical trials on ginger and it really is just as effective as the "non-natural" drugs. The great thing is that it acts directly on the stomach and GI tract- you don't have to wait for it to be absorbed into your bloodstream (which usually takes half an hour, a long time if you really feel sick). (for the same reason, you don't have to start taking a week before, as somebody mentioned). and you can take more whenever you feel it coming back with no worries about drowsiness or ODing.

On our cruise to Alaska last month I packed several remedies. Fortunately, I didn't need a single one. Even in rough seas it was like a cradle to me.:) I love the ocean and the motion of the ship!

We did the Alaska thing out of Seattle a few years ago, and didn't notice any motion 'til on the way back, when we were outside of Vancouver Island. A friend in out party was sick as a dog, nothing would stay down, incuding Bonine and the rest. My wife gave him one of her Compazine suppositories (prescription, and I know she shouldn't have), fixed him right up. You can not vomit a suppository out...

We did the Alaska thing out of Seattle a few years ago, and didn't notice any motion 'til on the way back, when we were outside of Vancouver Island. A friend in out party was sick as a dog, nothing would stay down, incuding Bonine and the rest. My wife gave him one of her Compazine suppositories (prescription, and I know she shouldn't have), fixed him right up. You can not vomit a suppository out...

What is Compazine usually used for? Did her doctor give it to her for sea sickness? Suppositories do work in instances where other meds do not. Your last comment made me laugh.:)

I too swear by the scopolomine patch. I can get seasick in a bathtub! Unfortunately for some it's not an option as it can cause blurry vision and severe dry mouth. I'm so glad it's never affected me that way. Good luck with whatever you choose because being sick stinks!

Kristy

That goes along with the dilated pupils a mentioned earlier, as the patch contains atropine which dilates pupils and causes dry mouth. But as stated above, has to be Rx. Meclizine can be written by your MD saying you have vertigo, which is what seasickness is, but caused by motion rather than dehydration of the cochlea (equilibrium) in the inner ear.

What is Compazine usually used for? Did her doctor give it to her for sea sickness? Suppositories do work in instances where other meds do not. Your last comment made me laugh.:)

Compazine is an anti-emetic (no puke medicine), it also works well when given intravenous for migraine headaches, don't know why, but it makes my patients feel better, and they think I'm they're savior:cool: .

Suppositories are wonderful when one cannot hold anything down by mouth...as stated, can't vomit from the place that they go...:eek:

Our experience on small boats has taught us to take along a box of ginger snaps (with real ginger in them). This has been a good help when minor nausea starts. If no one needs them for seasickness, then they are also a great snack at the end of the cruise! The advantage of ginger is that you don't really need to take it "before" ... just have it available in case and don't put it off if nausea starts.

But ... I would get some Bonine (aka Non Drowsy Dramamine) for your trip just to be sure.

Some points in the Alaskan cruise were really rocky for me...especially when they go into the open water. And unfortunately I got sick 2 times in the early AM prior to breakfast.

I took Gravol...and Gravol Ginger with no success.

Crew members told me that they swallow chopped ginger...and also munch on green apples and saltine crackers if they get sick while on duty. And one of the Maitre d's on the cruise was nice enough to ask room service to send some chopped ginger (the size of small pills)...the Green apples...and some saltine crackers up to our room.

Also another tip that one of the crew members told me...was to make sure you still eat. According to them a full stomach helps sea sickness.

Seasick meds are as individual as any other medication - some work for one person and don't for another. Personally I have found the non drowsy bonine to work very well for me. Couldn't keep the ginger pills in my system :eek: But what will affect you is where you are on the ship. If you feel queasy - move to mid ship (atrium area) drink gingerale, eat something - preferrably soda crackers. As much as you want to lay down it is the worse thing you could do as it intensifies the motion of the ship. Any ship we have been on has the seasick tablets (no charge) available at the reception desk - ask and you shall receive. I always take the non-drowsy Bonine with me - chewable tablets - which worked extremely well when the ginger tabs did not. Take one an hour before you sail - or as soon as you know the weather is going to get a bit bumpy - lasts 24 hrs. And don't watch the web cam showing the ship moving up and down. :rolleyes: Best to keep moving around. Hopefully, you won't need it at all. But just in case....

Archived