West-Coasters cruising from FL-what a pain $$$$

ElvisandTracey

What does FF status have to do with NetJets????

Fractional ownership is NOT for you. But Blue Star Jets, Private Charters, Marquis Jets (division of NetJets), etc. etc. can be purchased per flight. About $5000 per hour + food. $30,000 coast to coast. If you have a group of 6-8, cheaper than full fare first class on a commercial airline.

Back to your problem. The ONLY nonstop MIA/SFO is on AA. The Alaska flights are codeshares with AA. 757 plane

IF you want to have one short stop, you can fly MIA/LAX/SFO. Three flights per day on either 763 or 777 aircraft. The 777 flight is a three class plane. The 763's are two class planes with lie flat seats in business class. Be VERY careful booking first class out of MIA nonstop to either LAX or SFO. AA uses 757 on that route more than any other plane.

Why anyone would pay 5-10 times the economy price for meals and booze on a 757 flight is beyond me?? The seats are not special on a 757-just a few inches wider. They sure don't recline much and the legroom is only slightly more than in coach. And I am spoiled rotten-I fly first class 85-90% of the time by virtue of my AA status, a lot of it on 757 or MD80's. IF you buy the "instant upgrade" (Y-UP, K-UP fare) which is running $785.00pp + taxes on the 757 MIA/SFO, you get to choose your first class seat instantly.

If it was me, I would take the AA nonstop 763 out of MIA to LAX at 11:15AM. Connect at LAX on to SFO. And if I didn't feel like spending all the extra money for business class, I would still take the 11:15 out of MIA to LAX and pick seats in row 17. $1239.00pp, first/business class on 763, then an MD80 for the hour flight to SFO.

Yup, I already gave the lady such info - on a randomly picked Oct date (she mentioned the October being the travelling time), ALL 3 MIA/SFO are on 757, Yike!. There is a rare, but not totally out of whack, hidden danger of the Y-Up fare - essentially what the Y-Up fare is booked in P, not in F. In the very rare occurance the F seats are all filled up by regular F fares, the Y-Up holders would be put back to coach. Double Yikes!

One more thing, the $785 pp is ONE-WAY - on a r/t it is by 2, plus tax.

I would take 763 any date over 757. But then it means the OP has to do a 1 stop, changing plane, and that is what she said she did not want.

Non-stop, Nice Schedule, travel in comfort, willing to pay - why not take the NetJet type transportation?

Yup, I already gave the lady such info - on a randomly picked Oct date (she mentioned the October being the travelling time), ALL 3 MIA/SFO are on 757, Yike!. There is a rare, but not totally out of whack, hidden danger of the Y-Up fare - essentially what the Y-Up fare is booked in P, not in F. In the very rare occurance the F seats are all filled up by regular F fares, the Y-Up holders would be put back to coach. Double Yikes!

One more thing, the $785 pp is ONE-WAY - on a r/t it is by 2, plus tax.

I would take 763 any date over 757. But then it means the OP has to do a 1 stop, changing plane, and that is what she said she did not want.

Non-stop, Nice Schedule, travel in comfort, willing to pay - why not take the NetJet type transportation?

Per this thread, the lady only needs a ONE WAY ticket from someplace in Florida to SFO area.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=804565

She has very little choice on a nonstop into SFO area. AA or the Alaska codeshare-757. And yes, I guess there is a VERY slight possibility that the $785.00 Y-UP fare could result in a coach ticket. The chances of that happening other than possibly on Friday or Sunday would be sooooo slim, I wouldn't even think about it. Another EXP would just have to go to the back of the bus.

I still think the best option is AA from MIA to LAX on flight 283, then on to flight 1954 to SFO. 763, NGBC lie flat (NOT flat bed) seats for the long haul. $1219 plus taxes=$1240.00pp for most of October. Must be booked as a multi city ticket. Yes, it is a YUP ticket. IF for some weird reason, all first class seats were sold, so the YUP became a coach ticket, you could always spend the night and either take the early 777 flight or try again for the 763 the following day. Gillianrose didn't seem like she was too big a hurry to get back to the Bay Area.

Back to your problem. The ONLY nonstop MIA/SFO is on AA. The Alaska flights are codeshares with AA. 757 plane

IF you want to have one short stop, you can fly MIA/LAX/SFO. Three flights per day on either 763 or 777 aircraft. The 777 flight is a three class plane. The 763's are two class planes with lie flat seats in business class. Be VERY careful booking first class out of MIA nonstop to either LAX or SFO. AA uses 757 on that route more than any other plane.

Why anyone would pay 5-10 times the economy price for meals and booze on a 757 flight is beyond me?? The seats are not special on a 757-just a few inches wider. They sure don't recline much and the legroom is only slightly more than in coach. And I am spoiled rotten-I fly first class 85-90% of the time by virtue of my AA status, a lot of it on 757 or MD80's. IF you buy the "instant upgrade" (Y-UP, K-UP fare) which is running $785.00pp + taxes on the 757 MIA/SFO, you get to choose your first class seat instantly.

If it was me, I would take the AA nonstop 763 out of MIA to LAX at 11:15AM. Connect at LAX on to SFO. And if I didn't feel like spending all the extra money for business class, I would still take the 11:15 out of MIA to LAX and pick seats in row 17. $1239.00pp, first/business class on 763, then an MD80 for the hour flight to SFO.

Thank you very much for the detailed response. It is very helpful to know these things. Is Row 17 the exit row? If so, I think I have read somewhere that those seats are not assigned ahead of time, at least not to folks who are not members of the frequent flyer program. If it is not the exit row, what makes it special?

The $785 fare you mentioned seems fair to me now with all the fuel increases, if I may book the upgraded class instantly and be sure of getting it.

Thank you very much for the detailed response. It is very helpful to know these things. Is Row 17 the exit row? If so, I think I have read somewhere that those seats are not assigned ahead of time, at least not to folks who are not members of the frequent flyer program. If it is not the exit row, what makes it special?

The $785 fare you mentioned seems fair to me now with all the fuel increases, if I may book the upgraded class instantly and be sure of getting it.

Row 17 is NOT exit row on 767. They are crew rest seats and right behind the bathroom, next to the galley in coach cabin.

I suppose you have not been to Seatguru.com yet despite my suggestion.

You can pull up AA's aircrafts and then see where Row 17 is on the 767-300 equipment. Row 17 is a "green" box. Put your mouse over the description box would appear. Read for yourself what is special for that row.

Row 17 referred to the 763 plane serves MIA/LAX in Greatam's post. For MIA/SFO, you get 757, much older plane and even Greatam agrees the F seat does not worth anything extra. Row 17 on 757 is one of the exit row which you dont get to pick if you go MIA/SFO because AA flies 757 on MIA/SFO route. But you can pick Row 17 on MIA/LAX as it is not an exit row on 767-300 which serves MIA/LAX.

You see, airlines fly different aircrafts on different routes - you need to know which aircraft they use for a particular route, so you know what seat(s) to pick in the case you can pick seats. That is why sites like Seatguru is very helpful.

As long as you understand the Y-Up fare implication, you can book that and get instant upgrade - just keep in mind it is NOT a guarantee for an F seat - should all F seats are sold at F fare code, which $785 is NOT, it is P fare code - you would be re-assigned back to coach despite you have bought the instant upgrade. Although such occurance is rare, but when bad luck strikes and it happens, you need to know about it ahead of the time, and not go arguing with the GA at the departure gate. That is why I mention it, given you are an infrequent flyer and most likely not have any idea about what is an Y-Up fare with AA.

Yes, indeed, we only need a one-way flight back to the Bay Area.

We are seriously considering a repositioning cruise which disembarks in Florida, but we want a comfortable and relatively hassle-free return to the Bay Area.

Not to complicate things further re this discussion, but because the nonstop flight situation isn't so great, we will also look into flying from FLL or MIA or thereabouts to a major hub which has a nonstop back to the Bay Area (Denver, Dallas, whatever), vacation and look at property there for a few days and then from that hub city fly back to the Bay Area.

Thank you to all who have responded and to any who may wish to comment further.

Row 17 is NOT exit row on 767. They are crew rest seats and right behind the bathroom, next to the galley in coach cabin.

I suppose you have not been to Seatguru.com yet despite my suggestion.

Yes, I have been to seatguru.com, but it was before you mentioned row 17, and I did not memorize that row number so that I would know it when you subsequently mentioned it specifically.

I have now committed it to memory, and if it comes up in trivia, you can rest assured I will answer correctly. :)

Yes, indeed, we only need a one-way flight back to the Bay Area.

We are seriously considering a repositioning cruise which disembarks in Florida, but we want a comfortable and relatively hassle-free return to the Bay Area.

Repositioning cruises from Florida generally would be either the Eastbound Europe, or the Panama crossing then onto Alaska - both do not happen in October. They happen in April. In fact we took one such full Panama crossing Ft.Lauderdale to San Diego 14 days on X's Summit 2 years ago.

I am not sure if there repositioning cruise from Florida going up to Northeast for the Fall Foliage cruise. My memory is, such repositioning is from Europe on the Westbound Atlantic back to NYC and then from there starting the Fall Foliage cruise.

Lots of flights between MIA/DFW or FLL/DFW. Not a whole lot to DEN though.

Repositioning cruises from Florida generally would be either the Eastbound Europe, or the Panama crossing then onto Alaska - both do not happen in October.

Ah, but I'm looking at a cruise which ENDS in Florida and then a flight back here. This definitely happens in October.

Ah, but I'm looking at a cruise which ENDS in Florida and then a flight back here. This definitely happens in October.

Sorry, I misunderstood that you want a comfortable cruise back to Bay area instead of flying.

On the disembarkation day of our TransAtlantic cruise in April, we overheard a gentleman said they were not flying home, they would take Queen Mary back as the cruise fare was not much more than the air fare. I thought that was a brilliant idea and that idea had since stuck in my mind. Sure, they need to take a short flight from BCN to LHR, then a train to Southampton to board the Queen Mary - but that would be another 6 glorious sea days to sail back to US... definitely beat flying, even in International F.

So I am cruising from FLL in April, and right now airfare is a mess, between lack of flights and sky high prices.

I need non-stops from LAX or LB to either FLL or MIA, anyone having any luck on any good prices? Seems like flights to FLL are pretty scarce, I'll probably have to take AA to MIA, whcih is a shame since AA is one of the only airlines I DON'T have miles on.:mad:

Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

I just priced LAX to Miami R/T taking a redeye the night before the cruise on the Liberty in October for a birthday cruise. Would arrive at 6:00 am on the day of the cruise . . . leave 11:30am or 4:10pm day of debarkation. Both NON-STOP ! !

Only $339 for everything ! (this same trip a year ago was $207)

I proabably won't get that price when I book it because I cruise last minute (3-5 days before the cruise), but that's the breaks. :D

sidestep.com . . . pulls up ALL the flights, easy site to navigate on and gives you THE FULL PRICE right up front.

Sorry, I misunderstood that you want a comfortable cruise back to Bay area instead of flying.

On the disembarkation day of our TransAtlantic cruise in April, we overheard a gentleman said they were not flying home, they would take Queen Mary back as the cruise fare was not much more than the air fare. I thought that was a brilliant idea and that idea had since stuck in my mind. Sure, they need to take a short flight from BCN to LHR, then a train to Southampton to board the Queen Mary - but that would be another 6 glorious sea days to sail back to US... definitely beat flying, even in International F.

It sure does. In the distant future, I would even consider doing a round-trip Panama Canal cruise California and back. Even better is an itinerary I have seen on Crystal and Princess before: Pacific Panama. Those go through the Panama Canal, but not up to Florida, just return through the canal and back to California.

It sure does. In the distant future, I would even consider doing a round-trip Panama Canal cruise California and back. Even better is an itinerary I have seen on Crystal and Princess before: Pacific Panama. Those go through the Panama Canal, but not up to Florida, just return through the canal and back to California.

We have done both type of Panama cruises - the "half-way" and the full crossing.

The "half-way" does not really give you much taste of the actual Panama Canal - I am not even sure it actually goes thru one lock. At least the one we took that was r/t Ft.Lauderdale, only went to the edge of Gatsun Lake and then headed back.

Unless the "half-way" itinerary you consider, would at least cross the Miraflores locks (2 stages), I would not bother to do the "half-way".

The full crossing is the way to go if you are interested in seeing how Panama Canal is operated. The crossing itself takes a full day. Personally, we think it is worth it, may be because we are always at awe when we see modern engineering marvel. On our trip to Japan a few years ago we actually made out way to see Akashi-Kaikyo Bridge, located in the south of Kobe. It is truly an AWESOME sight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_longest_suspension_bridge_spans

So it depends on what interests you in a Panama Canal cruise. Though a full crossing and than back, would be 28 days.

I just priced LAX to Miami R/T taking a redeye the night before the cruise on the Liberty in October for a birthday cruise. Would arrive at 6:00 am on the day of the cruise . . . leave 11:30am or 4:10pm day of debarkation. Both NON-STOP ! !

Different strokes for different people.

I can see you are so excited to find a Redeye flight...

2 nights ago I bought tickets FLL/YVR and paid for the higher fares, to AVOID Redeye flights.

No way we would spend a night flying Transcon... not even in F.

flight choices suck right now. i had a great itinerary for Jan and of course AA changed it giving me at 9:20 departure from FLL. I called and changed it but now i have long layovers. NO notice from them either. just keep checking they change things daily.

.....the pilots and flight attendents are checking daily as well......to see if they still have jobs.......;)

Archived