Road to Hona???

nlt46

From time to time I see and read references to "the Road to Hana(?)". What is that all about? You all seem to accept it and write about it. Is it memorable for some reason or another? Is it famous? What/??? I really have never heard of it until I got on these boards. Have I been ignorant about something all these years? Please inform me so that the ignorance can stop. Nancy

I agree, the Road to Hana is a very long ride on Maui --- doing it in 5 hrs is pretty tough, it's only 1 lane with lots of hairpin turns and the traffic often slows you down. A lot of the scenery is breathtaking ---- waterfalls all over the place, black sand beaches, scenic vistas. We did it on a land vacation last May, and it seems it would be a challenge during a port call. But it definitely is beautiful!! I was driving, however, and it's not for the faint-hearted. My husband and daughter saw a lot more of the scenery than I did. Maui Revealed can give you much more info-- it's the best guidebook I found for Maui, bar none!! Here's a link to some of our pictures: http://community.webshots.com/scripts/editPhotos.fcgi?action=viewall&albumID=154867102 Most of the ones with waterfalls, scenery, my daughter swimming under a waterfall were taken along the road. It was a cloudy day, so a couple of them are a little darker than normal.

We just did the road to Hana on Oct 3rd. It was a beautiful ride, but with only 2 days on Maui I felt it was a waste of time. I drove (Mom) & my son had a hole in the floorboard by the time we got back! LOL!

It was a Sunday & very little traffic (thank goodness), but there were just a couple of parking areas, mostly just pull offs on the road. Most of them were full & so we couldn't pull off. We were trying to get back before dark so did not have the time to stop. It took us about 7 hrs. roundtrip & we were exausted. More from our nerves than anything.

If you really want to experience the road & some scenery I would suggest driving it half way. There's really nothing in Hana once you get there.

Hope this is some help to you.

There may not be much in Hana, but just a few miles farther on there's the Seven Sacred Pools part of Haleakala State Park. The scenery there is beautiful and you can swim in the pools (which aren't really sacred I'm told). And if you've not had enough twists and turns, you can continue around the mountain back to where you started.

The first time I finished the return trip to Hana, it felt like I was still weaving back and forth when I got out of the car.

Don't forget that it's certainly possible to drive only part of the way on the infamous Road to Hana. If you buy a good guide book, you can chart out some of the most interesting sites, then start along the way and see how your time goes. There is an absolutely fabulous restaurant just out of Kahului --- Mama's Fish House --- which had some of the best food and loveliest ambiance of any place we ate on Maui. They serve both lunch and dinner, and it's reminiscent of Hawaii before it got a little more commercial. I always think that everyone has the idea they have to drive all the way to Hana. In reality, Hana is a village and is the least of the ride. Just go as long as you're enjoying it, stopping at whatever waterfalls and turnoffs that interest you, and you'll have a great day.

We drove it in about 7 hours our last cruise to Hawaii. We left Lahaina at 9AM and got back about 4:30PM. We did not stop a lot other than to take pictures (no swimming), but it was a beautiful day. Just be aware that the traffic can be an issue, esp. on Fridays and weekends. I am used to a lot of mountain driving in California and did not find this drive that difficult. Just keep your eyes open and your speed down...it is not difficult for a good driver. Pick up a lunch in Paia before you start along the Hana road...there is no place to eat until you get to Hana, but lots of places for a lovely picnic. There are a few port-a-pottie stops...use them when you see them as they are few and far between. It is one of the most beautiful drives in the world...do is sometime!

In '01 we went to Hawaii twice and did the road both times. It is a trip through a rain forest that is unforgetable. One writer said that it was not worth going all the way to Hana but on the outskirts of Hana is a state park on the beach where there is a black sand beach and a blowhole that shows you the power of the ocean as the water roars under the lava outgrowth . As the road to Hana begins, there are some high clifts where you can look down at the tremendous waves and watch the locals do their para surfing. When we were there a rain shower went through and there were rainbows all over the place. I'm booked on the Carnival Spirit in April 05 and I intend to do the road again. Be sure to experience the beauty of the road--you won't be sorry.

John L.

We went halfway then turned around and came back. It was beautiful, but somehow not as nice as I expected. The turns in the road were continual and short. It wasn't so much the road that was a problem but the trucks that shared it with us. They knew the road and were not shy about going fast. After one too many times making a turn to have a truck coming at us we'd had enough.

Su

Archived