Silly question

shinney

Hi,

Have never cruised before and had just decided to book one for next summer on Voyager with RCl but now my partner is afraid he will be sea sick.

He doesnt like traveling in a car, rathers driving, so is it likely that he may be affected on the ship. Am wary of convincing him he will be fine and then having him sick for a week.

So basically to those in the know, is seasickness a problem?

Thanks in advance,

Sinead

Hi,

Have never cruised before and had just decided to book one for next summer on Voyager with RCl but now my partner is afraid he will be sea sick.

He doesnt like traveling in a car, rathers driving, so is it likely that he may be affected on the ship. Am wary of convincing him he will be fine and then having him sick for a week.

So basically to those in the know, is seasickness a problem?

Thanks in advance,

Sinead

Hi,

We take Bonine the morning of the cruise and every night before bed. I also start taking ginger tablets a week or two before travel. Have not been sick at all. You'll get a lot of advice on this not so "silly" question. Good luck!

I have always had problems with motion sickness. I am more sensitive to motion on the ship, but take ginger and bonine which really seems to do the trick. Also, I highly recommend getting a midship cabin. I felt the most motion when there were rough seas in the forward and aft areas of the ship and my cabin was forward! Always try to face the direction that the ship is moving if you're going to be seating for a long period of time like in the dining room.

If you start feeling queasy, look out a window so that you can see what you're feeling as it somewhat corrects your inner ear. Fresh air also helps so if you start feeling queasy, go up on deck and breathe in some fresh air and you should feel better. gingerale or sprite helps too, but if you drink diet, bring your own gingerale b/c they only have regular.

If he has had motion sickness in the car or anywhere else chances are he will on the ship.

Don't worry though, if you are prepared he will be fine.

First, I take Bonine and Phenergan prescribed by my Dr. I suffer form motion sickness very bad:eek: . My first cruise was horrible as the 3 other people I was traveling with try to tell me it was all in my head adn if I did not think about it I would be fine:rolleyes: ...

Jsut go get some Bonine from Wal-mart and have him try it for a couple of days to make sure he won't be drowsey.

Then if he does ok with it have him start taking it 2 days before you leave and stay on it for 2 days after returning home.

The Ginger works for some but all it did for me was give me bad heart burn. Have him try it as it may work for him. The key to motion sickness is finding something that works for him and also I also book mid ship and on the 2nd or third floor from bottom and always an inside cabin. If I look out at the water especially when I'm sitting down in the dining room :eek: . Even with all the meds. I have always been a little icky the first night but I always take my dinner to my cabin and sit quietly for a while and I'm fine.

I had no probelms at all on all the excursions we were on in the caribbean and there were days the ocean was pretty rough.

Hope this helps...:)

I get carsick, air sick, and even sick on a dock. The only way I can stand to sail is to use the scopolomine patch. Bonine (same as meclizine or less-drowsy dramamine) make me really sleepy.

Your partner should visit the doctor and see what options are best for their particular circumstances. Each of us are different in what works ... Plus, most of the posters here are in the U.S., and I know there are different medications than you would have available in Ireland.

I can tell you that with the scopolomine patch I have zero problems cruising. We recently sailed across the Atlantic with 14-20 foot seas and when everyone else was sick, I felt great!

I get motion sick very easily. The one thing that works 100% for me is Sea Bands. No they may not be stylish but I feel perfect while I wear them.

With dramamine I still get sick. With bonine I don't get sick but I get queasy feeling. With sea bands I can't even tell I'm traveling.

Archived