Waterproof camera and underwater camera

My family is going to the Bahamas on RCCL in July. What do you do to keep your digital camera from getting ruined by seaspray, etc. Also, are there any inexpensive cameras out there that are waterproof so that pictures of starfish, etc. can be taken? I don't really want to spend more than a hundred if I can get away with it.

We've used single use 35mm waterproof cameras for snorkling and it's worked out pretty well. Something like this: http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100381&navAction=jump&navCount=0&skuid=sku2865039&id=prod2866205

Some digital cameras have fitted waterproof enclosures, usually pretty expensive, for underwater use. For something less fitted, try a search for 'aquapac' on amazon.com. I saw these at Bass Pro Shop the other day, too, so maybe large sporting goods/hunting/camping/boating stores carry them.

My family is going to the Bahamas on RCCL in July. What do you do to keep your digital camera from getting ruined by seaspray, etc. Also, are there any inexpensive cameras out there that are waterproof so that pictures of starfish, etc. can be taken? I don't really want to spend more than a hundred if I can get away with it.

I've never researched waterproof cameras, although I know there are some waterproof digital point and shoot models out there. I've done a couple of different things in situations similar to yours. First, I've used inexpensive waterproof film cameras. Not ideal, but when having the film developed I have the negatives scanned and copied to a CD. Second, prior to my trip to Hawaii last summer (lots of time spent on the beach!) I spent about $100 on a waterproof housing made specifically for my Canon point and shoot. This worked worked great!

Hope this helps.

Deborah

I too am looking for a different alternative to the disposable one use camera. 1st you pay $8 to $10 for the camera. Then you pay close to the same for developing and getting them on CD. You do not have the ability to choose which ones you want developed.........so you pay for both good and bad. My DGS got hold of my last one and I had about half dozen of his face, eyes, mouth.......GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Anyway.........it would not take many disposables to pay for one of the new waterproof digitals out on the market. I am currently looking at waterproof housings for an old point and shoot I have. Even if the housing fails.....it would not be a huge loss. And even if I have to buy one of those thing housings every year.......it could easily wind up cheaper than buying several disposables. AND, I could pick the pictures I REALLY want printed.

This is more then a hundred but a solid do it all camera. The only thing the Olys are missing is real vibration reduction.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0801/08012202olyswseries.asp

Try the scuba diving sites. There are underwater digital cameras for $100-250 on the low side and up. I ended up with a Sealife. I know I have seen one really negative post on CC for this camera. We used it on our cruise with really good results. I personally would not feel comfortable putting my good digital in housing and dunking it. Call me paranoid and I'll probably agree.:rolleyes: THe one I bought is 6 MP is capable of submersion at 75 ft. It also has some color correction. I definately need to hone my underwater skills.....time for another vacation!! I found some tips about underwater photography too. :D

• 2 weeks later...

We bought the Olympus stylus 770 underwater camera, before our last cruise and love it!! Took it scuba diving about 40 ft. (camera states 33 ft)

WE bought a refurbished one off of ebay for very reasonable, and have used it tons since then. small, waterproof, and also made to handle a small drop. We now seam to quickly grab it when wanting pictures rather then lugging around our large Cannon.

Just beware, your family and friends will probably want to borrow it, for there holiday (i am curriently waiting to get it back from my Bro in Law, lol)

When I was asking the same sort of questions before our Caribbean cruise, several posters recommended a bag from Aqua Pac. I went directly to their website (www.aquapac.net) and for $30 bought a bag for my Canon point and shoot, and it was great! Took my camera in the water when we snorkeled, when we were at Stingray City, etc., and didn't get a drop of water inside the bag. I was very nervous about the whole thing, but it worked out really, really well, and my pictures turned out perfect. I plan on using it again when we're in Hawaii in November!

414.jpg

Amazon has the vivitar 6200w for $119, this is the same camera as the Sealife SL321 but in a yellow color, for about $60 less. Like the olympus, this is a waterproof camera not a camera with a housing, so it will be just as easy to use in the water as it is out of the water.

MAC

Olympus makes an under water camera without a case. Just rinse it off with fresh water.

Amazon has the vivitar 6200w for $119, this is the same camera as the Sealife SL321 but in a yellow color, for about $60 less.

MAC

I'm thinking about buying this camera!

Did you have any problems with the buttons being difficult to push? That seems to be the main complaint about this camera, along with the lack of a lenscap...

Target.com has it for $119 also.

We bought the Vivitar 6200W for our cruise in May. We were quite happy with the results, for the relatively cheap price. The buttons are small, but we had no problems using them. Here are few pictures from Grand Cayman. They are unaltered with Photo shop or any other program.

232323232%7Ffp43238%3Enu%3D324%3A%3E3%3C7%3E%3A%3B7%3EWSNRCG%3D3232%3C46%3A%3C2484nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp43235%3Enu%3D324%3A%3E3%3C7%3E%3A%3B7%3EWSNRCG%3D3232%3C44974859nu0mrj

CEWayfarer, You will get a few bad pictures every now and then, but that is the beauty of a digital camera. Just delete them. Here is picture taken out of the water. It was great to take up the falls in Jamaica.

232323232%7Ffp43237%3Enu%3D324%3A%3E3%3C7%3E%3A%3B7%3EWSNRCG%3D3232%3C44998953nu0mrj

Oh, I forgot to add this... The vivitar does eat batteries. So we had to take a towel and dry the camera off a couple times and change batteries while we were snorkeling. We just used regular AA's. I am not sure if the rechargable ones would last longer.

My dh's cousin bought an Olympus Stylus 850 SW and she loves it and it takes great pics. She had me go on their site and look at the camera, it will show you pics and actual video clips from the camera, http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1365

It sold me, so I ordered me one through Amazon, got a better deal on it there. She bought her's at Best Buy.

My dh's cousin bought an Olympus Stylus 850 SW and she loves it and it takes great pics. She had me go on their site and look at the camera, it will show you pics and actual video clips from the camera, http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1365

It sold me, so I ordered me one through Amazon, got a better deal on it there. She bought her's at Best Buy.

I looked at that camera as well, but it was only rated for depths of 10 feet. The Vivitar is rated for (I think) somewhere around 30 feet.....

Hi There,

I have an Olympus stylus 790 SW, lime green.

It is amazing! It has taken quality shots in Hawaii, Mexico, Alaska both in the water, under the water and both in water and out of water.

Easy to use, just rinse out at days end to clear out sand and stuff.

Just make sure sure you get the XD card that allows panarama shots.

just gor back from Alaska, and used it most of the time because it ws raining a lot. It has a great stabiliazer on it, and my kayak shots are great. Don't kid yourself this camera takes the same great quality out of water s well. If I knew how to post shots i would. I give it, and everyone that I have lent it to will all give it a 11 out of ten.

Hope this helps. I think there is a newer version out ow, I got mine jan o8, but in digital that's a life time ...and I think it runs around $3-4 hundred with extra xd card. I also carry spare batteries for all my cameras when I go. This camera also takes great underwater and land video, so get a big card 4 g's.

Happy travels

• 2 weeks later...

Recently got the waterproof Olympus 850 SW for the two upcoming cruises we have.

The 850 takes decent photos, though you can definitely find better point and shoot cameras out there for less money. That being said, this camera can definitely take a beating.

I took it out on a kayaking trip with friends this past week, and it held its own. There is something to be said for having a camera that I didn't have to be too careful with.

There are photos taken with the 850 located at the following for anyone who's interested...http://laden.fotopic.net/c1549262.html

Archived