East Med Cruise - Formal Night(s) on Solstice

HollyK

I'm in a bit of a dilemna about this situation. Let me say first - I've no problem with formal night(s) -- I love them. However on this cruise it presents a bit of a challenge.

The plan (as yet unbooked but likely will do shortly) is to do the East Med on Solstice in Sep '09. It's an 11 day so there will be at least one formal night - possibly two - haven't checked that out thoroughly. We plan to spend 10-12 additional days, most before and a day or two after in Europe -- mainly Austria and Northern Italy. Schlepping major luggage about is going to be challenging (and the DH will be pretty crabby !). As well - with the new luggage # restrictions we have yet another challenge.

DH has his own tux but I know I'm going to get exactly nowhere suggesting we haul it all over Europe for 1 or 2 nights. He can't rent cause that won't work IYKWIM. I have one outfit that won't be 'packing challenging' but my long dresses surely will. I realize we can just make ressies for the alt rest's for those nights.

I'm wondering if anyone has some brilliant thots on this issue or has previous experience and solutions. It's our 30th Anniversary so I'd kind of like at least one "dress up" night but perhaps it can't happen? We hauled formal wear to Tahiti but we weren't doing the other travelling we likely will do on this trip.

Any thots to share much appreciated.

We are heading out to the eastern Med on Solistice next summer also - but we are going in August. The heat is not a problem to us during the day - being in the UK we always holiday at this time (necessity due to the schools - and to do in search of some hot sunshine :) ) - so we dress appropriately i.e. as light and skimpy as poss. We also intend to turn a few of our port days into 'beach days" as a compromise to our 12 year old. We have travelled the area before - although this will be our first cruise.

One of the questions I have though is regarding formal dress. I presume the restaurants are air conditioned (oh how I hate them... I am a naturally cold person who loves to feel the warmth, not have cold air blown at me... but that's my problem) but DH in jacket and tie will be ok, but what about if you choose to eat in an outside venue (I hope there is one - dining alfresco is all part of a mediterranean holiday) - but when it comes to Formal/Informal nights is jacket and tie compulsory outside also?

... and before all you who rave about the =X= dress code, I'm not talking about turning up in shorts & flipflops for the evening... would never dream of it. We will ALWAYS dress for dinner, just that there are occasions that we would lke to relax a little, enjoy good food, fine wine, and great entertainment without being dressed to the nines.

We jsut got back from the Galaxy's sailing of the Med. It's the same 11 day cruise the the Solstice is doing. The formal nights were on the 2 at sea days. One of the options that many used was the Oaisis Cafe. They serve mostly the same food and I think it's somewhat served by waiters. There was a 2 dollar cover charge. Because this cruise is so port intensive many used this option because they were late getting back to the ship for early dining. I hope this helps.

Rollie and Lynn

for your thots. :)

Figgywig - I hear you about the AC thing. I'm a little person and am much happier to have the warmth however DH is not and is not. :D I have a few shawls which seem to work fine for keeping me from being refrigerated.

One thing - however picky - I noticed in the photos of the main dining on Solstice was the chairs. They have mostly rounded backs no enclosed sides/back and that is a real nuisance. Put your bag or shawl beside you, pretty quick it's on the floor. Put the shawl over the back of the chair and pretty quick . . . and the tables are way to full to put anything there. Like the wash basins, its that looks great but ain't very practical thing. :(

I can't recall all the dining venues on Solstice however if you go to Celeb's main page, you'll see a "thing" about Solstice which you can click on and one of the links there lists + describes each of the dining areas on the ship. That may help. Certainly all do not require formal attire or even suits. Most are Country Club Casual sorts of places if I remember correctly.

Rollie -- Thanks for the 2 formals info. If no other solution appears beforehand I guess we will be doing alt dining options those nights. If we were flying directly to Rome we could pack one small suitcase with formal wear and leave it at the hotel while we tour. Unfortunately I've found no direct flights YVR to FCO so I don't think that's gonna work. I guess we've lotsa time to come up with solutions as we can't even book air yet being so far out. :)

Perhaps someone else will weigh in with a brilliant solution. Hey if DH eats too much pastry in Vienna, his tux might not fit even if we did take it! :D

Archived