Afternoon tea at the Empress in Victoria?

Yes you can do it on your own by taking a shuttle from the terminal that will take you to right in front of the Empress for $7 rtn. Is it worth it, well there are other tea houses in Victoria that do as good or better job for less moneey but the Empress and it's "High Tea" is unique and something that you will remember and talk about for the rest of your life.

What are the hours of service for High Tea?

We had High Tea at the Empress 2 years ago and it was really very nice, I recall we were there around 3:00 pm (with a group). We did not fully experience all the wonderful items served, as we had a delicious meal at a restaurant in the gardens and were stuffed. I would like to do it again, this time ready with a good appitite.:D

Love Boat Dream

You may want to check your schedule. I show Golden in Victoria July 25 and

only from 7:00PM to Midnight.

Gracecarmo

Tea at the Empress starts at 12:00 but it doesn't show when it ends. I will

be having lunch at the Bengal Lounge today and will try to remember to

ask for you. During the summer, reservations are essential.

They were saying $54.00 yesterday and I imagine this will continue well into

Fall. As far as I could tell, the evening "Afternoon" tea is the same as that served

in the afternoon. Better skip dinner on the ship that day.

You mean 54.00 per person? I have to say it - that's insane. :eek:

I was there some years ago and we were served sandwiches, fruit, pastries, and tea. Oh, and I took the little jar of strawberry jam, too - it was so cute. It wasn't a huge meal by any means, but it was nice. My friend paid for me and I believe it was about 40.00 for the both of us.

From the Fairmont Empress web site:

"Pricing:

Afternoon Tea ranges in price from $49.00 - $60.00 CAD, per person, plus taxes. Prices fluctuate based on seasonaility, please contact hotel for exact pricing.

*Afternoon Royal Tea is subject to our regular tea pricing, plus an additional $12.00 CAD per person charge, plus taxes."

Royal Tea includes a glass of wine.

The curry buffet in the Bengal Lounge is $26.00 pp. Fortunately, we had

the Entertainment Book.

• 4 weeks later...
You mean 54.00 per person? I have to say it - that's insane. :eek:

Langley, I will sheepishly:o admit to paying an outrageous amount of money this past Sunday. It was $60.:eek: Yes, I thought the same thing: this is insane. They did give me small tin of tea bags as a souvenir.;)

I chalked it up to an experience....about the same price as a tour.

I agree, it is a lot of money for a cup of tea but they don't have much trouble selling out each day and for most it is one of those experiences that they remember fondly for years (once they are over the sticker shock).

There are a lot of better places in Victoria to have afternoon tea - The White Heather Tea Room in Oak Bay, or even Butchart Gardens - both have a much nicer, cheaper tea. The Empress tea is basically a tourist trap in my opinion.

$54 to $60, my mother would die.....if she hadn't done so already!

It is not HIGH tea by the way, it is afternoon tea.

Prices are out of control! Ridiculous! But if people are willing to pay the price, I guess it will continue.

It is only marketed as "Afternoon Tea" although if taken between 5 & 6 pm as the menu does include salmon and chicken, by definition it could be considered "High Tea". However the definitions do get kind of murky.

We did a combo tour that had Craig Darroch castle, the double decker bus tour, and tea at the Empress.

The presentation was a neat experience, however, I didn't think any of the cookies or sandwiches tasted very good. Also I'm not a tea drinker so I cannot comment on the tea.

The Empress had a nice giftshop. I bought a silver teaspoon.

If I had it all to do over again, I think I would have just walked around in the Empress and visited the giftshop and maybe left more time to go check out Butchhart Garden.

Enjoy your trip!

Cheryl

p.s. Be sure to stop in Rogers Chocolates. Their cremes are excellent. My favorite was vanilla. My husband got maple nut. Our driver told us that Rogers delivers to the White House and to the Queen of England, so we had to have some too! Delicious! You might buy an entire box, as they are a small fortune to order online.

LBD, our ship will only be in Victoria from 8am-2pm, so I called the Fairmonte directly (got the number from the internet), and asked what time they served tea. I was told they start serving at 12 - UNLESS it was a day that a cruise ship was coming in then there is a seating at 10am, and they accept reservations and walk-ins! I confirmed our date in port and made reservations at $60 Canadian. :D

Diana

Archived