Mediterranean cruise... Brillance or Legend??

Hi

My husband and I are planning another cruise for August or September 2009. We are having a tough time choosing between the Brillance out of Spain or Legend out of Rome. I know the ships are completely different in size. We love the ports offered on both. Mostly Egypt on Legend (I have been to Egypt - hubby has not) We love the big ships!! Is it worth going smaller just for one port??

The Brillance gets better reviews and has more activities that we like (I seem to be answering my own questions dont I!!)

Has anyone been on both ships?

Hows the food on both ships?

We are planning 2 pre-nights regardless of which ship (Brillance/Barcelona or Legend/Rome). Which city did you all like better Barcelona or Rome?

We are not booking until the fall so we have time to choose but its tough!!

Thanks Jackie

Go with the ports you want to see. We compared and although we wanted a newer, nicer ship we ultimately decided to go on Legend strictly for the ports visited.

We're doing the Italy/Croatia 13 night cruise and there are only 3 sea days. We kind of figure we'll be so lazy on those sea days we won't care much about activities.

I should also have stated you could go to the review section of CC and read about other peoples experiences. Some of them are helpful, some of them are completely uneducated as far as cruising goes, so you do have to read a number of them to get a well-rounded view.

Another good place to visit here on CC is the Europe board.

I suggest you check out the offerings from Celebrity. Both Solstice and Equinox are doing some amazing itineraries during the time frame you are looking at. I am very loyal to Royal (Diamond member), but the Solstice class ships look very nice, and the itineraries simply can't be beat. We are booked on the Equinox to Greece, Egypt and Israel.

However, to answer you exact question, I have been on Legend three times and Serenade once as well as Radiance once. The Radiance class (Brilliance being one) is by far my favorite class of vessels I have ever sailed on, however, for a European cruise I think the itinerary is more important than the ship. Thus, while I absolutely love the Radiance class, I would pick the cruise based on which itinerary you prefer. I was on Legend last spring and the food was typical RCL (very good, but not overwhelming). I would not say the food on one is any better than the other.

As far as Barcelona vs. Rome, Rome wins, hands down, without a doubt. While many of my friends love Barcelona, it is my least favorite city in Spain. To me, it feels like the New York of Spain. It is nice, but doesn't really feel all that "Spanish," whereas Madrid or Sevilla are more authentic Spain. There are, of course, fascinating historical reasons for this.

Rome, however, is amazing. I frankly did not think I was going to like Rome all that much as compared to Venice and Florence (which are beyond amazing), but Rome is absolutely a jewel. The history and feel of the city is just fantastic.

Those are just my preferences, but I do encourage you to check out the sailing on Celebrity's Solstice and Equinox before you make any decisions, because, as I stated at the beginning, Europe is really about the itinerary in my mind, and Celebrity is offering some amazing itineraries.

Go with the ports you want to see. We compared and although we wanted a newer, nicer ship we ultimately decided to go on Legend strictly for the ports visited.

I agree. IMO, the decision should be heavily weighted on itinerary, not the ship. The cruise is usually so port intensive that the ship is a very secondary consideration.

Hi

My husband and I are planning another cruise for August or September 2009. We are having a tough time choosing between the Brillance out of Spain or Legend out of Rome.

OMYGOSH, Brilliance FOR SURE!

It's a stunning ship, PLUS, it is just out of drydock.

Plus, Barcelona is a great city to leave from. We stayed 3 days before our Brilliance cruise and we loved the place. On legend, you'd have to schlep to Civitavecchia to get on the ship. Not a bit deal, but it is not like taking a local cab to the port.

Mike

My husband and I are planning another cruise for August or September 2009. We are having a tough time choosing between the Brillance out of Spain or Legend out of Rome

Brilliance is my all time favorite ship. Loved the trip that went to Greece. For me it was the right balance of ports and sea days - which we like.

. ... Is it worth going smaller just for one port??

Ask hubby how much he wants to go to Egypt for a day. Are you going to make the mad dash day trip to the pyramids? For me, I would prefer a longer stay.

We are planning 2 pre-nights regardless of which ship (Brillance/Barcelona or Legend/Rome). Which city did you all like better Barcelona or Rome?

We are not booking until the fall so we have time to choose but its tough!!

Thanks Jackie

That is too tough! If I didn't have many chances to get to Europe I would probably choose Rome. You'll only be able to cover a few highlights in Rome if you take Brilliance. Barcelona doesn't have the same level of historical sights as Rome even though it is one of my all time favorite cities to hang out in and relax.

Good luck! You can't go wrong regardless of your final choice.

We did the Legend out of Rome last summer (photos and review in the links below) and have booked the Brilliance for next summer out of Barcelona.

We chose the Legend to start with because of Egypt and are very happy we finally got to the Pyramids. Rome is so special with so much to see -- we spent 4 nights pre-cruise and 2 nights post-cruise. Even though we spent a week in Rome in the mid-nineties, it was absolutely wonderful to spend almost another week there. The trip was very expensive but well-worth it because of Egypt and Rome.

On the other hand, we love the Brilliance and very happy to be booked for next summer; also Barcelona is less expensive for accommodations so another plus.

We picked by itinerary and happy with our choice; if we were picking by ship it would have been the Brilliance.

Good luck and book as soon as you can; you can always call up RCI if there is a price drop.

Kathy:)

We sailed Brilliance last year from Barcelona and Legend from Rome this year.

Both ships are fantastic, even though Legend is smaller and has no speciality restaurants. I think you need to look at the itinerary of the cruise. We loved Greece and Egypt, so I guess that was our favourite if I had to pick one. Yes we did the mad 12 hour dash to Cairo on a ship's tour. The pyramids were amazing but I wouldn't be in a hurry to visit Cairo again. Loved Greece and Turkey and could easily go there again. All the ports on the Legend cruise were new for us, where as on Brilliance, we had visited many before. I'd choose Rome over Barcelona as a departure port as well - more to see. The food on both was great - no complaints. If you really like the speciality restaurants go with Brilliance. Both cruises are so port intensive we were very happy with main dining room food and windjammer on nights after long excursions.

I will enjoy both ships and both itineraries especially if you haven't been to Europe. Don't know if I've helped you here!!!

Archived