Final QE Transatlantic - Should I or Shouldn't I?

Buddy604

Funny thing is that several people spoke of the Concorde, and that has struck a chord with me, but from the other side. You see, I did grab a couple of trips on the speedbird in her last year - I had booked them before the retirement announcement, but flew close to her end.

Many of the unique Concorde aspects had long been removed - no gift, stationary, certificate, etc.

I was lucky enough to have flown on Concorde with my 2 previous QE 2 crossings. We are so glad now that we decided to splurge a bit and go supersonic both ways across the pond.

But, I did notice a slight difference in our last flight, which was only a few months before they retired her. Our first trip on Concorde was in '99 and we both got a picture frame, certificate and was able to go visit the cockpit while in flight. The food was better the first time, too. But there was still that magical feeling of flying at twice the speed of sound!!

We just returned from our first voyage on QE2 and it was excellent. We were in Caronia restaurant and service and food were great.

We are only sorry that we didn't discover her sooner. We were on the QM2 last year and think the QE2 is far better, even though she is a little tired in places it didn't take away from the experience of the sailing.

The crew were great, and we heard nothing but praise from fellow guests, we met a man that had sailed on her 27 times and will be going on a 28th. Our room steward had been there for 12 years, and very happy. The whole crew seemed happy and friendly, and we were told that the captain is the 'best' and the crew love him.

I would go again in an instant.

Helen

We just returned from our first voyage on QE2 and it was excellent. We were in Caronia restaurant and service and food were great.

We are only sorry that we didn't discover her sooner. We were on the QM2 last year and think the QE2 is far better, even though she is a little tired in places it didn't take away from the experience of the sailing.

The crew were great, and we heard nothing but praise from fellow guests, we met a man that had sailed on her 27 times and will be going on a 28th. Our room steward had been there for 12 years, and very happy. The whole crew seemed happy and friendly, and we were told that the captain is the 'best' and the crew love him.

I would go again in an instant.

Helen

• 3 weeks later...

Phew...no WAY I was going to bother meeting a 'deserter' for a drink!:D

Yes, our agent was charging ours yesterday...and the airfare, too. Looks like little Timmy's just getting an orange and a homemade sock doll in his stocking this Christmas...

Phew...no WAY I was going to bother meeting a 'deserter' for a drink!:D

Yes, our agent was charging ours yesterday...and the airfare, too. Looks like little Timmy's just getting an orange and a homemade sock doll in his stocking this Christmas...

Yes, I know the feeling. I worked all my airlines tickets as round trips to coincide with the May 2nd QM2 Westbound Crossing, just in case, but that will take some MAJOR scrimping if I want to add that to next year as well. Timmy's not getting a birthday present either!

The only major expense outstanding for the QE2 trip is ..gulp.. the new tux(es). I'm supposed to have a fitting from my overseas tailor when he's in town on the 29th, but I might have to get measured ahead of time and see if I can get them in time for next months wedding. The joys of big and tall - somewhere out there someone about to lose their pin-stripped pup tent.

Well, I solved the dilemma of a new tux by not affording food, thereby fitting into the one I was going to replace (by Oct. we hope!)

A.-

Better is a dinner of herbs where love is, than a stalled ox and hatred therewith.
;)

Well, so much for that effort...gorged myself on Persian food last night, and went grocery shopping (small mortgage was necessary) while hungry today, so forced diet will only come when the credit card bills come due...:rolleyes:

Archived