‘My Time Dining’ for wheelchair user?

muskrat897

RCL is experimenting with 'My Time Dining’ on Freedom of the Seas and a few other ships. I was wondering if any wheelchair users have tried this option. My concern is about being placed at a poorly accessible table for a meal.

I don't see how that would be any different that the open seating on all cruise ships in the dining room for breakfast and lunch. If the matri 'd or assistant matri 'd tries to put us in the "wheelchair ghetto" (as we recently experienced on Princess) we just tell them that we 1) want to be seated at a large table with other interesting people, 2) we want to be as close to the windows as possible (if it is light out), and 3) there is no reason to put everyone in a wheelchair in the same poor location (often right by the kitchen door). Of course we also let them know we can't get past narrow passages or up steps (duh!). We set them straight the first day, and never had a problem after that.

We still prefer traditional dining and having dependable tablemates and waiters every evening. It is much easier for my mother to not have to explain over and over why she needs her food cut up or that she needs everything placed to her left or that she needs a straw, or wants green tea after her meal. A good waiter who memorizes all that the first night is worth their tip.

Just clear it with the maitre 'd or whomever is covering the desk at the entrance to the dining room and make your needs clearly known; they will do their best to accomodate you. In the event they show you a table which is difficult for you to access, just politely say "No, please show me another table":)

Archived