Alaska with infant - need help with Skagway port

annimal

I've posted this thread in the Alaska boards but just in case... We are a family of 5 adults and one infant who will be 9 months old in September when we take our cruise to Alaska. One of our ports of call is Skagway. I have been given the suggestion through these boards to rent a car as it is suppose to be easier to travel with an infant (i.e. allowing for stops as needed). However, the largest vehicle Avis has (at the Skagway location) is a full size car which holds 5 - 6 people, making it a pretty tight fit to hold all 5 adults and a baby in a car seat. So I'm not sure this is the way to go especially if my understanding is that most people drive for 6+ hours while in port (Murray's Guide?). I thought about the White Pass Railway excursion and think the 3.5 hour tour would be okay with the baby but I'm not sure if there's any room to move around the train. In addition, I have been reading that more people recommend the 7 or 9 hour tour as it offers more to see. However, I don't know how the baby will deal being confined in a lap (if there's no room to move about) for 7 hours. Does anyone have any suggestions or insight on these or other transportation options so that we can tour Skagway comfortably with a 9 month old.

I don't think a 7 hour tour would be great fun for anyone with an infant. Stick with the 3.5 hour train trip. I'm not sure how you mean for the infant to move around on the train, but there is room for you to walk around. The train has bench seats and there is room to move around. But I really think it's asking too much for an infant to do a tour longer than 4 hours.

We have done the rental car thing in Skagway, but not with a baby. Avis in Skagway supposedly does have two vans, but they don't advertise it because last year one broke down and the other was wrecked. They just don't want large groups to count on a van and then one is not available and all the cars are rented out. I agree that five adults and a baby is not going to work in a regular car. Would you consider two cars? Or just arrive at Avis and ask if a van is available? If you do this, make sure you have backup car reservations. You might get lucky on that.

As for the drive, I think it would work out fine for a child. The drive is only about 120 miles roundtrip and you can stop as often as needed. In fact, you'll be stopping a lot anyway to take pictures and view the scenery. I've read on the Alaska forum that even adults have become bored on the train although I've never taken any of the train tours. If it were me and I was traveling with a nine month old-I would get two cars and do the drive.

On the train, you can walk up and down the aisles with the baby--our son is 9 months corrected age and he's really into having us hold his hands and walk around, and I can picture doing that on that train.

My big tip for that train is to bring sunglasses because if it's sunny that day, it will be very bright at the top of the pass with the sun reflecting off the snow.

There is also a nice park near the pier that has play equipment, can't recall if there's a baby swing or not. You an also just stroller around the town and do a little shopping, and visit the gold rush museum.

We just got back from Alaska with our 13 month old and the 3.5 hour White Pass train was the only excursion we took her on. It worked out well for us and her. She slept for most of the way there and was awake for the ride back. We had her in a baby carrier and she either sat and looked out of the window, or we put her in the carrier and stood outside on the train platform - don't do it without a carrier as it gets pretty windy and bumpy! There is room to walk up and down the aisle of the train car, but I'm not sure other passengers would appreciate it! With our toddler, we found that having lots of snacks handy was good, too. Our trip didn't allow you to get off the train, so we were definitely ready to get off after 3.5 hours - there's no way she would have handled much longer on there. The scenrey is spectacular and I would do it again in a heartbeat!

Archived