Cruise in Late September????

Queeny3

:o HEllo Everyone!

I am planning a honeymoon cruise in late september. Not exactly sure where, probably the caribbean. Don't really want to go to Mexico though. :p Anyways, would this be a bad choice due to hurricane season? Would it be rainy the whole time or chilly outside? :confused:

I have gone twice to the Caribbean at the end of September. The first time was 2 years ago and it was gorgeous weather and also went last year the same week and ran into horrendous waves which spoiled tendering on a short weekend cruise so you never know. It is worth taking the chance though in my opinion. There is always something to do so I would not let the weather affect going or not going on a cruise!

September is a fabulous month to hit the Caribbean! Done it twice (once Western and once Eastern). The weather has been pretty near perfect as you are past the summer heat which can be really bad. Don't get me wrong, it will still be hot, but not unbearably so. The only rain I recall was about ten minutes worth in Cozumel.

Also, you may appreciate that there will be fewer children on board, especially as this will be your honeymoon.

Whichever cruise you decide, have a wonderful time!!

:o HEllo Everyone!

I am planning a honeymoon cruise in late september. Not exactly sure where, probably the caribbean. Don't really want to go to Mexico though. :p Anyways, would this be a bad choice due to hurricane season? Would it be rainy the whole time or chilly outside? :confused:

I always cruise in the September through early December time period......to avoid hordes of children and teenagers...and the prices are better.

Never had hurricane problems.. Ships can divert to avoid these systems. One time, a coupla years ago, I did chose to drive instead of fly. Most of the airports in Florida were closed due to imminent arrival of some deadly beast. Determined not to miss my ship, I drove.

I have recently booked the Destiny for September. Go ahead and do it.

We're taking an Alaska cruise in September. It starts in Vancouver and ends in San Francisco. There are other alternatives than just the Caribbean at that time of year.

I wouldn't go to Alaska for honeymoon. There is just too much to see and do there, while being newly married, leaving the cabin might not happen too often. Go to Alaska when being in Alaska is the priority. It's too expensive otherwise. jmo

Have been to the Carribean in late September and it was great! Weather was still hot...you are pretty far south. Did the Western Med on Mariner and loved it. Also have been on Carnival on the Eastern run and the weather was downright hot!!

Book it!!!!!! Have fun!!!!!!!

We have crusied a lot in late September as it is our anniversary too. :D Great time of year with it not getting dark till 8:30pm or so and lots of daylight time to do tours etc... Great weather unless there is a hurricane. :o Most times like others said they divert you to another port with sunshine BUT that said there are times it can get a little rough in the diverting. You really don't ever know - hurricane season starts in June (prime cruise season) and goes till the end of November so it can happen anytime. Cruising is awesome and well worth a try.

One hint is depending on where you are located - if you go out of Miami or Ft. Lauderdale there are more ports they can divert you to. Out of Galveston or New Orleans there really isn't any choices and you end up with a rough day at sea as the Gulf of Mexico gets pretty churned up. That said I'm going out of Galveston in September because I live close by and it is too easy! :p Debbie

Most of our cruises to the Caribbean have been in early Oct. We have always hit fabulous weather. Only once coming back into Houston did we have a little rough seas. It was around 55 degrees and the poor Texans acted like they where freezing----of course being from ND 55 degrees is still T-Shirt weather for us!:cool:

One good thing is the Captain can almost always diverge a storm. The only time he could not would be coming back into home port!:(

I wouldn't go to Alaska for honeymoon. There is just too much to see and do there, while being newly married, leaving the cabin might not happen too often. Go to Alaska when being in Alaska is the priority. It's too expensive otherwise. jmo

Ya, but it will give you a better idea as to when you can fit it in when you have kids at home!:)

Also you might want to look at Hawaii if you have the time. RCCL has a 15 day round trip cruise from San Diego. You get 5 days at sea to get there, that should give them plenty of cabin time.:D

I can assure you that it will not be chilly the end of September in the Caribbean unless there is some really weird cold front that comes through. We live in north Florida and pray that it dips below 80 in September. That is the height of hurricane season, but as others have said, it really doesn't matter. My parents really enjoy the Eastern Caribbean ports when they cruise. I think you should go and have a great time. :p

I have been on several SCUBA diving trips in the fall (September/October) in the Caribbean and had a great time. The weather is warm but not too hot and the water is calmer. The only risk is with hurricanes but the ships steer clear of any bad storms which could mean a change of itinerary. It seldom happens but does occasionally. A big plus is that the kids just started school and so there will be few aboard particularly the college kids. Go and have fun.

I agree with those who say to go for it!

We always cruise in hurricane season - we fly into the port a day ahead of time, and we buy cruise insurance (not through the cruiseline, but through a private company such as AccessAmerica - look at www.insuremytrip.com)

But the most important thing about cruising during hurricane season is not to have your heart set on particular ports so that you aren't disappointed if the ship has to be diverted or if ports have to be skipped. An eastern can turn into a western cruise, and you'll need to just go with the flow.

I think you will be fine! We are actually going to be on our honeymoon cruise leaving on September 28th on FOS this year. We are really excited. We sailed around the same time last year out of Miami and the only rain we had the entire time was the day we arrived to the ship it rained for about 1-2 hours and then we had nothing but sunshine. Congratulations!

How about a cruise to Hawaii? My hubby and I are booked on the 12 day Carnival Spirit which leaves from Vancouver on September 24th. It is hurricane season there too, but actual hurricanes appear to be few and far between. It's certainly not the Caribbean but it's warm and has palm trees - a great honeymoon spot!

My wife and I have cruised the Caribbean the third or fourth week of Sept 5 of the past 6 Septs. We have always had great weather and calm seas. Actually, the only Sept we had bad weather was Sept '04 on a Canada/New England cruise when Hurricane Ivan nailed us!

Archived