Amtrak Bus to Seattle Post Cruise

Just wanted to pass along that Amtrak has a bus from the Vancouver Train Station to Seattle that runs 3 or 4 times a day. DH and I got off a 14 day cruise on the Veendam 6/13 and were scheduled to return to Seattle via the Amtrak Cascades. We were off the ship and based on recommendations from our dinner companions decided to check our luggage at the train station. Upon arrival we realized that we didn't want to do any more traveling around town. The Amtrak ticket agent said that we could exchange our train ticket for a bus ticket so we took the 11:30 a.m. bus to Seattle instead of waiting for a 5:45 p.m. train. The driver was very professional and considerate and although the ride was not as smooth as the train it wasn't bad at all. We had to get off the bus at the border and take all luggage in to be scanned so it took about 35 - 45 minutes for everyone to get through and back on the bus, but we arrived in Seattle at 3:45 p.m. This was on a Friday.

Taking the train up to Vancouver was great and we would do that again but we were surprised that we really wanted to get back to Seattle in the afternoon instead of after 10 p.m. at night. Be sure to grab sandwiches or other food (NOT FRUIT) to have something to eat on the bus and take along something to drink. There is a restroom on the bus.

Thanks for the information. I originally planned to take an Amtrak bus to Seattle, but heard of long taxi lines at the pier so opted to take a shuttle from the pier to Seattle.

Is there someplace at Ballantyne Pier to buy a sandwich to take on the bus?

We were on the Veendam that docked at Canada Place. We went directly outside the pier and got into a taxi that took us to the Amtrak station in where we decided to take the Amtrak bus to Seattle. There was food available at the Amtrak station but I don't know about Ballantyne Pier.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the information. I originally planned to take an Amtrak bus to Seattle, but heard of long taxi lines at the pier so opted to take a shuttle from the pier to Seattle.

Is there someplace at Ballantyne Pier to buy a sandwich to take on the bus?

No, I'm afraid not. Ballantyne is awkward in that it's in the middle of the industrial docks. You should have little to no trouble to grab a cab to somewhere nearby and grab a bite. There are hundreds of cabs at the pier on ship days, so I really doubt you'll have any significant wait. The only real warning about cabs, it that they're smaller cars here, mostly Toyota Corollas and Prius.

Also, are you taking a USA direct shuttle, or just one of the companies like quick shuttle? If you're on a USA direct bus (generally only the cruiseline transfers do this), you breeze right through customs at the border as you effectively never re-enter canada (you're separated from other people leaving the ship). Likewise if you're on the Amtrak bus (or train) you're pre-cleared leaving Vancouver (at Pacific Stn), so there's little to no delay at the border. On the other buses you need to clear customs at the border which can be anything up to 3+ hours. The main reason is they're doing a massive construction job at the border right now, and they're down to 4 lanes (from 8).

Re: Scotbee comments above.

There can be some delays at Ballantyne for cabs still although I understand it's better this year. There are still not enough cabs around when all the ships are in and the rush is on.

Also I do not believe that US Direct has any bearing on buses going to anywhere else other than the Airport and this is with specific airlines/cruise lines only.

As the OP stated they did customs and immigration OFF their Bus in this case Amtrak at the Border.

There is no pre-clearance for the train either or at least there wasn't last time I went. You get checked at the border going south and in Vancouver coming North.

I agree, it does not appear that US Direct covers anything but direct transfers from ship to YVR and the visa versa. And quite right the American FDA people take a very dim view of people attempting to take food into the US. Actually I know of people who have had cans of Campbell's soup removed by FDA as they entered the US....over the top I agree but it has happened.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived