Mixing formula onboard?

FSUSammy

Hey everyone. We are trying to decide if we'll be going on a cruise this summer or not. DS will be 9-10 months when we do go. He'll still be drinking some formula at the time. At home I use our tap water to mix his formula because our tap water is fine. Do you all bring bottled water with you to mix onboard?

Hey everyone. We are trying to decide if we'll be going on a cruise this summer or not. DS will be 9-10 months when we do go. He'll still be drinking some formula at the time. At home I use our tap water to mix his formula because our tap water is fine. Do you all bring bottled water with you to mix onboard?

We brought bottled but we drove to the port. They sell bottled water on board, granted it is a little pricey. You can always get it at your port of departure or in a port of call.

Hi,

I haven't been on a cruise yet with my baby but am planning to go this October when he'll be 8 1/2 months old. I plan to bring bottled water for his formula. I'd feel more comfortable knowing the he was drinking bottled water vs. from the tap.

We watched an episode on the travel channel about how all the cruise ships have a large built in purifier for all water used onboard even your sink and shower water is purified. We brought some bottled water but mainly used the water dispensers on the lido deck to mix our DD's formula since they have an extra purification in addition to the large one down below. We have cruised 5 times with her and she has never once gotten sick on any of our cruises. She is 2 now and we will be sailing with baby # 2 next yr! You have to do whatever you feel most comfortable with. It wouldnt be a great vacation if you were constantly worried about your infant getting sick or about the quality of the water.

If you are comfortable with it and dont feel you want to lug all that bottled water, you can even call the cruiseline and they will explain the water purification process to you.

We bought a couple of gallons of nursery water at the embarkation port (did not lug it across the country on the plane) and used that. But, we always used nursery water for mixing formula - even at home - so for us it was not an added expense.

I can't speak for cruise lines but when I worked for the airlines, they were very careful about the water on board and I would imagine the cruise companies are even more so. If there were an incident where passengers got sick, it would cost the company heavily, plus the fact it would probably affect their staff as well. The bad publicity, the disrupted cruises, the ensuing legal issues, and simple guilt mean that the water will probably continue to be very safe. There is too much at stake.

Don't push your comfort level and buy bottled if you prefer. Be sure the brand of water you buy is suitable for babies. It's usually marked on the label worldwide with either a baby or a bottle somewhere. Evian and Vittel are, for example. Contrex, with its high mineral content, is not.

I'd be surprised if the tap water on the ship was not safer than the tap water most of us have access to at home.

I would tend to agree about the ships water....but...I also prefer to bring bottled water for mixing formula.

Maybe it's akin to not feeding your child certain foods before age one....I just worry that there will be some chemical in the ships tap water that MY gut will handle just fine by my brand new baby's gut will revolt against, or his system just wont tolerate well........

I would tend to agree about the ships water....but...I also prefer to bring bottled water for mixing formula.

Maybe it's akin to not feeding your child certain foods before age one....I just worry that there will be some chemical in the ships tap water that MY gut will handle just fine by my brand new baby's gut will revolt against, or his system just wont tolerate well........

I understand. Us parents of young ones are entitled to our worries, whether real or imagined, LOL. :)

I understand. Us parents of young ones are entitled to our worries, whether real or imagined, LOL. :)

Agreed...so it becomes an extra burden on us to arrange to get bottled water to bring on board...but how many times are we going to happily accept the "extra burden" in the name of our children....probably always, right? :o

I will be cruising in Aug with my DS 12 months old when we cruise and, i just started him on Enfamil NEXT STEP and i will be bringing that on the cruise and small bottle waters Baby water 8oz for his formula, just stuck with that since day one... It is alot to think about when you cruise with an infant!!!

I'm cruising in September on Princess with ds who will be 7 1/2 months then, and am taking a gallon of bottled water. It's only for 3 days. I use bottled at home, so it's not that much of an issue for me, and we're leaving from our home city.

Archived