cabin noise

We have booked a cabin underneath the lido deck swimming pool deck area on the westerdam 8049 on the navigation deck? Is this an excessively noisy area. I don't mind a little bit but nothing awful. I can't imagine anything on a HAL ship is awful but I just have to ask.

We have booked a cabin underneath the lido deck swimming pool deck area on the westerdam 8049 on the navigation deck? Is this an excessively noisy area. I don't mind a little bit but nothing awful. I can't imagine anything on a HAL ship is awful but I just have to ask.

I asked the same question about the Volendam months ago,, and never got a reply, so hope you do!!

I had 7086 on the Volendam (at the very back, Navigation deck) for a 10 day cruise and I very rarely heard anything from the pool deck area. In the early morning (6am-ish)was the only time there was any kind of noise and that was from the crew washing down the deck and moving the loungers around. It was never loud enough to wake me up (most mornings I was already up and around at that time) or to be any kind of annoyance.....more like background noise if anything.

I was in a similar cabin in March on the Westy, and I heard a bit of noise from above, but nothing that I found really bothersome. Mostly, it would just bother me in the afternoon if I was trying to fall asleep for a nap. Didn't mean I COULDN'T nap, just took a little longer to get there. I'd stay in one of those cabins again, no sweat.

We have been below the Lido Deck on other HAL ships and the noise bothered me a bunch at night, except in cabins beneath the beauty shop, which is closed at night. Did not bother my wife. On one occasion the ping pong table was above our cabin and people played until the early morning hours-must not have heard about HAL's in bed by 10 crowd! Other times the noise was bad when the "herd" comprised of cast from the show and other staff along with passengers made their way to the late night buffet in the Lido. I finally stayed up until 11:30 when the noise died down and then went to bed.

Gary

We have been below the Lido Deck on other HAL ships and the noise bothered me a bunch at night,

I noticed that we had been recently upgraded from an SY to an SS on M/V Oosterdam directly below Lido restaurant, I immediately requested to be put back in the cabin I had booked originally, for noise reasons. We have to settle for the one next door which is okay as they're both midships. I do wish they would contact my T/A when they do this though, had I not noticed this had happened when I checked our booking on line, it would have been too late to do anything.

I do wish they would contact my T/A when they do this though, had I not noticed this had happened when I checked our booking on line, it would have been too late to do anything.
You should tell your TA when booking that you do NOT want to accept an upgrade and it won't happen in the first place.

If you are really sensitive to noise, no matter how slight, then you should always look for a cabin that is surrounded by other cabins and you won't have a problem...at least a problem that can't be solved with call to the Purser!!

Cruise ships, once the superstructures are completed, are put together like LEGO toys. Cabins, complete with wiring, plumbing,wall covering, carpet and furniture are plugged into slots and hooked up to water and electricity. When you have cabins all around your cabin it is like noise insulation.

Has always worked for us.

You should tell your TA when booking that you do NOT want to accept an upgrade and it won't happen in the first place.

Well thank you for that sage information, We've had our fair share of upgrades over our 30 years of cruising with very few problems. I'll continue to accept them at my discretion thank you very much.

Thanks for all the info. I just called TA and booked a different room. Other people's noise is a big deal to me. I look forward to a vacation with lots of peace and quiet...which is why I select HAL

Well thank you for that sage information, We've had our fair share of upgrades over our 30 years of cruising with very few problems. I'll continue to accept them at my discretion thank you very much.
Fine. :) When you said
I do wish they would contact my T/A when they do this though, had I not noticed this had happened when I checked our booking on line, it would have been too late to do anything.
it sounded to me that you weren't aware that you could easily avoid an unwanted upgrade.

Fine. :) When you said

it sounded to me that you weren't aware that you could easily avoid an unwanted upgrade.

:) No problemo, our very first upgrade put us at the bow of the ship, it looked okay but little did we know that there was an anchor chain that clanked periodically, we got little sleep as you'd just nod off and clank we'd both wake up, four or five times an hour, so we tend to be gun shy when it comes to noise.:D

.. our very first upgrade put us at the bow of the ship, it looked okay but little did we know that there was an anchor chain that clanked periodically, we got little sleep as you'd just nod off and clank we'd both wake up, four or five times an hour, ...
On the Veendam we got an "upgrade" from an HH to an FF across from the infirmary, and the bow-wake roar kept us awake for most of the first three nights before we go a little used to it. Live and learn! :D

Thanks for all the info. I just called TA and booked a different room. Other people's noise is a big deal to me. I look forward to a vacation with lots of peace and quiet...which is why I select HAL

Us too!! I just changed our cabin on the Volendam , from 7012.. we are now in 7002 away from all the scrapings above..being up the front doesn't bother us..better than noise from above.

We had a cabin under the Lid deck once and it was a bit noisy when chairs were moved around but this last cruise on the Veendam we had booked an Oceanview EE guarantee and ended up with a DA on the main deck. It was a great room however I am a light sleeper and the promenade deck was just above us and every morning the crew would hose off the teak deck, move the lounge chairs and then the walkers would begin. I was frankly surprised as to the noise level.

It did not bother DH but he sleeps through almost anything. I loved the convenience of the main deck but I agree with having a room between two decks of rooms and not under the deck used for walking laps. Next time I'll be more aware.

• 2 weeks later...

There are 124 outside staterooms and one inside L stateroom running around the ship on the main deck. These staterooms are directly under the lower promenade deck.

While they are in slightly different categories including DA (their physical locations relative to the promenade deck are nearly identical), are you suggesting that ALL 125 of these staterooms have a noise problem? I find that hard to believe. After searching this forum, I can only find your complaint about continual noise in this stateroom category.

We have been on about 15-16 cruises and every time we have a cabin just below the swimming area we have heard chairs scrapping all day long. It was very irritating to my DW so consequently, we try to book cabins that are away from that area. You will have noise and it will be irritating if you spend any time in your cabin during the daytime unless you are hard of hearing.

harry

Archived