Problem with fogging mask

seiffann

What can I do to keep my mask from fogging up? I have heard that baby shampoo will do, but I don't want to buy a large bottle just for that. I even tried my eye glass cleaner with anti-fog and it don't work either.

What can I do to keep my mask from fogging up? I have heard that baby shampoo will do, but I don't want to buy a large bottle just for that. I even tried my eye glass cleaner with anti-fog and it don't work either.

First, clean your mask with paste toothpaste (not gel). In the manufacturing process, mask manufacturers use an oil that fogs easily in water and must be removed. Put a dab of toothpaste on the lens of the mask, then take a damp paper towel and use circular motions for about 30 seconds. Do the same for the inside/outside of the other surfaces, then I repeat this process once again. After that you can use a number of defogging liquids. I use a drop defogger I get from my dive center but even just a little bit of baby shampoo mixed with water in a squirt bottle will work. The big thing though is to make sure you "season" the mask with toothpaste first (plus it has that great minty smell the first few times you wear it).

Randall

I have good results using Sea Drops. I just smear 2 or 3 drops around inside the lens, then rinse.

Is yours a new mask? If it is, it helps to remove the coating applied at the factory. It can be removed with regular toothpaste (not a gel). Rub a bit on both sides of the lenses and gently scrub with a soft bristle t'brush.

The factory coating is to protect the lenses during shipment and presale. It's not necessary for use.

Some say their spit works as well as any product. I haven't found that to be true; however, maybe my spit lacks the basic nonfogging ingredient. :p

I was told the manufacturer has a coating on the glass to prevent it from getting scratched. It is not oil but a thin plastic film. The reason you want to use a toothpaste and not a gel toothpaste is because toothpaste is abrasive. It is not as abrasive as something like stainless steel cleaner or a cleanser like Comet. Something too abrasive will take the film off AND scratch the glass. Toothpaste is perfect because it is abrasive enough to remove the film but not so abrasive as to scratch the glass.

Once you get the film off the glass, dirt on the glass will give moisture something to cling to. If you clean the glass with a good glass cleaner (which is what anti-fog eye glass cleaner is) then it will reduce fogging. As the glass gets dirty you'll have to clean it again.

You can also use something good at cutting grease like baby shampoo or dish soap. I like to use Palmolive dish soap (the original stuff, not the stuff with the microbeads).

NOTE: if you clean the glass with something then rinse it in dirty water you are defeating the purpose.

I use regular white softscrub instead of toothpaste. Scrub it hard for a couple of minutes, rinse, repeat. Use a commercial defog, I like 500psi (any dive shop will have defog). Also, try and not breathe out through your nose, that's what is making it fog up.

SPIT

not a girly thin and clean one...but a good ol' LOOGIE .... wipe it around and don't rinse it off.

worked 35 years ago when I got certified...and still does today

free too...but yes, ensure the inside surface of the mask is CLEAN

C-Card issued by a single digit PADI instructor number

SPIT

not a girly thin and clean one...but a good ol' LOOGIE .... wipe it around and don't rinse it off.

worked 35 years ago when I got certified...and still does today

free too...but yes, ensure the inside surface of the mask is CLEAN

C-Card issued by a single digit PADI instructor number

Right on! Works every time.

After I removed the protective coating with toothpaste I tied spit, but it only was temporary. I found myself surfacing, removing my mask and cleaning it in the water. One of the guys running the snorkel boat told me that a small amount of dish detergent mixed with water works the best.

I second the nose breathing issue. You may be doing it unconsciously, or you could be letting nose air escape when you clear your ears during descent. Squeeze a little harder on your nostrils. Does your mask leak? If you have to clear it more than once during the dive you are setting yourself up for a fogging problem with all that nose breathing. I have a skinny face and simply learned to live with a little water in the bottom. I usually don't even notice that I have water in the mask anymore until it reaches my eyes. The best part of having water inside is that with a tilt of your head you can wash away any fogging when the spit has worn off :)

• 4 weeks later...

We have used Rain-X for the past 3 years of cruising. A small squirt on the inside & outside of the lenses, rub it around to coat the surfaces, let dry, buff well with paper towel or tissue. Lasts for weeks of snorkeling. DOES Not sting or irratate because it is cured. We also use it for our cars windshield......all the time.

I worked as a scuba instructor for years.... and found good old saliva to be the most reliable. The important thing is to rinse the saliva off, then put the mask on immediately. Any delays will result in fogging!!

Spit, rub it around with your fingers and rinse it off with sea water. You need to do this immediately before you put your mask on. If it fogs while snorkeling, take the mask off, spit, rinse, and put it back on. Simple, free, and you have it with you even in the middle of ocean.

Spit never worked for me either. You can find travel sizes of baby shampoo in most Targets, Walmarts, CVS, etc. At one time or another I have tried: baby shampoo, lemon Joy, 500 psi, sea gold; I always come back to Sea Drops.

Spit never worked for me either. You can find travel sizes of baby shampoo in most Targets, Walmarts, CVS, etc. At one time or another I have tried: baby shampoo, lemon Joy, 500 psi, sea gold; I always come back to Sea Drops.

I recommend Sea Drops as well, never leave home without them (at least if I'm going out to snorkel or dive). :D

Randall

I use regular white softscrub instead of toothpaste. Scrub it hard for a couple of minutes, rinse, repeat. Use a commercial defog, I like 500psi (any dive shop will have defog). Also, try and not breathe out through your nose, that's what is making it fog up.

I vote for the commercial defogger '500psi' also. My DH swears by his 'sea drops' but they just didn't work well for me. My scuba instructor also recommended using the original softscrub (NOT bleach) or good ol' white toothpaste (NOT gel) to do the initial cleaning the film off the mask when it's brand spankin' new. Find what works best for you, you miss alot of stuff with a foggy mask :D

You can get some defog (i think it's by 500psi) .. They sell it at every scuba shop I've been to.

Also I find it fogs up if I catch myself breathing through my nose.

If you get fogged up under water, let some water get into it and clear you mask. That helps too.

You can get some defog (i think it's by 500psi) .. They sell it at every scuba shop I've been to.

Also I find it fogs up if I catch myself breathing through my nose.

If you get fogged up under water, let some water get into it and clear you mask. That helps too.

I found a really easy way to let a little water in. If you try to pull the mask away from your face you might get a LOT of water in there. If you just smile you will probably get a little leaking. The bigger the smile the bigger the leak. :)

Another vote for dishwashing detergent. We've had a sample size bottle of Dawn for 10 years now. A single drop inside each lense, smear it around, then a quick dunk in the ocean to rinse it out, and you'll be fog free at least an hour.

Archived