Expert flyers out there

mii

I am looking at the Canada/New england cruise for next Oct. 2009 - 15 day from Quebec city to Ft. lauderdale(Princess). My question is I usually fly Jet blue but they do not go to Quebec. Now what would be the nearest city to that area( Buffalo, Rochester NY) and then what airlines would connect to Quebec City. I am coming from CA and would start in Oakland. Any suggestions. I have even looked at Continental from Oakland to Newark and then to Quebec City.

Marilyn

It actually looks like you have several options. United, NW, Co, and Delta.

They all fly into YQB (although United might be codeshare with AC).

By plugging in dates for this Sept. it looks like open jaw r/t $400-450 pp.

In terms of closest US airport, probably Burlington VT. But still probably 150-200 miles from YQB. Buffalo/Rochester nowhere near there.

Hope this helps.

It actually looks like you have several options. United, NW, Co, and Delta.

They all fly into YQB (although United might be codeshare with AC).

By plugging in dates for this Sept. it looks like open jaw r/t $400-450 pp.

In terms of closest US airport, probably Burlington VT. But still probably 150-200 miles from YQB. Buffalo/Rochester nowhere near there.

Hope this helps.

Yes it does help. Thanks. It just narrows down the airlines so I will have plenty of time do some research but thought I would just throw this question out there. Again thanks.

marilyn

Hi,

Does the cruise start in Quebec City or Montreal - which would in turn impact some of your choices re: US cities with airports close by. Something you may want to consider (if you have time) and assuming you're leaving from Quebec City (east of Montreal) is to fly to Montreal and then take a train ride to Quebec City - give you a chance to see the country side a little.

For airlines - you can go to the staralliance website (staralliance dot com) - staralliance is a group of air line partners (US Air, Air Canada, United) - if you put in the dates you're interested in, it will list flights by all the Star alliance partners - give you a feel for what's available.

Enjoy,

CG

My mother-in-law, originally from Quebec, travels there at least once a year to visit family. She almost always flies into Burlington, VT from South Florida instead of flying into either Montreal or Quebec City b/c she says it's much cheaper. She rents a car in Burlington and drives up from there. According to her, it's a cheaper, pleasant way to get there.

If you go on kayakdotcom, they will not only give you a complete multi line listing but here is also a spot where you can see price trends. Not sure how valid the latter is given the price of oil but it may be a good indicator.

Another option is to have 2 tickets.

You can do this, take a coast to coast flight between SFO/SJC/OAK to airports like EWR/LGA/JFK, even BUF or BOS - any MAJOR airports on the East Coast. Then find flights between the East Coast airport to either YBQ or YMQ - you can take an easy train trip from Montreal to Quebec City.

Forget about searching the "closest" but small cities - the flight choices would be very limited, AND more expensive than you flight coast to coast between 2 major airports.

My mother-in-law, originally from Quebec, travels there at least once a year to visit family. She almost always flies into Burlington, VT from South Florida instead of flying into either Montreal or Quebec City b/c she says it's much cheaper. She rents a car in Burlington and drives up from there. According to her, it's a cheaper, pleasant way to get there.

I agree, but that also depends on whether the OP is willing to drive.

One reason why flights to Canada are so much more expensive, is the airport taxes in Canada are outrageously high. Ditto it is always much cheaper to fly to SEA, rent a car then fly to YVR.

OP is flying from West Coast - it would be much more expensive for her to fly into Burlington, VT from West Coast then fly into major east coast airports.

Thanks alot everyone. You had some good suggestions so will check out all of them. Again thank you very much. By the way the cruise does start in Quebec city.

Marilyn

Archived