spring 09 trans atlantic

hulamoon

We are looking for a great 14 to 18 day cruise in May 09, however, I am impressed with most of the rates for transatlantics so may go early for the celebration.

Any better ships for a crossing? Any better itinteraries? i have spent a lot of time looking things up and my eyes are now crossed!

You experiences would be greatly appreciated.

aloha hula moon

i am too from hawaii, hilo. moved to bay area ca 8 years ago and am doing the transatlantic on carnival splendor oct 29, 2008. can't wait as it will be my first time to europe. got a really good deal for a balcony which we booked last july. hope you can decide.

My daughter and I are doing a 6 night TA on the QM2 for her 21st birthday next year. She just really wants to go to London, and I want to cruise, so we will do both and be happy.

We are looking for a great 14 to 18 day cruise in May 09, however, I am impressed with most of the rates for transatlantics so may go early for the celebration.

Any better ships for a crossing? Any better itinteraries? i have spent a lot of time looking things up and my eyes are now crossed!

Hello,

Suggest that you take a look at the Emerald Princess' 4/29/2009 cruise from Fort Lauderdale to Copenhagen. A beautiful new ship, good food and service and interesting ports. There are some less expensive cruises as well but this one is an especially nice cruise.

Hope that this helps,

Fred

Hi Fred and everyone else,

I did look at the Emerald, it is on my short list. Have you been on it and what room did you choose? I wonder if port or starboard is better for the winds doing a TA cruise? I read a review that said to choose the "leeward side" but I don't know what that means on a ship.

I also have been looking at a HAL Eurodam, but I do not get why we need two days in Lisbon? Anyone have a great port day there?

I am intrigued by the Solstice Aqua class but don't get the benefits yet, and it seems high so far. So the Constellation is also on the short list.

Thanks for all the input.

I just booked a 32 day cruise with transAtlantic on HAL Oosterdam for 2/28/09. EXTREMELY reasonable. You can also buy one of the two segments, San Diego to Ft. Lauderdale (14 days) or Ft. L to Rome (18 days). 32 days, single supplement, air, all taxes and transfers in ocean view cabin $6800. EM

Hi Fred and everyone else,

I did look at the Emerald, it is on my short list. Have you been on it and what room did you choose? I wonder if port or starboard is better for the winds doing a TA cruise? I read a review that said to choose the "leeward side" but I don't know what that means on a ship.

I also have been looking at a HAL Eurodam, but I do not get why we need two days in Lisbon? Anyone have a great port day there?

I am intrigued by the Solstice Aqua class but don't get the benefits yet, and it seems high so far. So the Constellation is also on the short list.

Thanks for all the input.

Hello,

My DW and I sailed on the Emerald Princess, from Fort Lauderdale to Barcelona in April of 2008. We had a mini suite with a balcony on the Dolphin deck. The Emerald is a truly nice ship. I would not be concerned as to which side of the ship your stateroom is on...port (left) or starboard (right) really does not matter.

Of the cruise lines my favorite is Celebrity because we enjoy the European ambiance of the ships and staff of this cruise line, but the others such as Princess, HAL, and RCCl have very nice ships as well and will provide you with a wonderful cruise experience.

I have3 not been to Lisbon but I understand that it is a very nice port to visit and stay overnight.

Hope that this helps,

Fred

Hi Everyone,

I'll try again, as I see my last post isn't here.

Thank you for your thoughts, I will reprice some of these suggestions.

Fred, I think you must have loved your Emerald cruise because your favority line has a lot of TA's too. I was eyeing the Constellation as anoption. I also like that Princess is good at helping you out if the price goes down later.

Happy Cruising.

Be sure to factor in the air fare. Air to London is usually the cheapest option. There is a cruise air board on Cruise Critic that discusses airfare and it has a sticky message at the top about buying air through the cruise lines that will let you know what to expect. We love TAs. Oceania usually includes "free air" which is really usually just a good deal on air. For a good itinarary on them or any other line think of doing the TA and the next cruise to get more interesting ports, back to back cruising.

Aloha Happy Cruzer,

I will check Oceania, I wondered how the smaller ship would feel on a TA. On your trip were you happy with the size?

I am a little in shock about the London air, I must research more, I was noticing 1100 dollars for anything ending in Copenhagen but `1300 to 1600 for Rome and London.

Thanks for the advice I will check that part of the boards out, to delay my decision :) and educate myself some more.

Hi Everyone,

I'll try again, as I see my last post isn't here.

Thank you for your thoughts, I will reprice some of these suggestions.

Fred, I think you must have loved your Emerald cruise because your favority line has a lot of TA's too. I was eyeing the Constellation as anoption. I also like that Princess is good at helping you out if the price goes down later.

Happy Cruising.

Our next cruise is in October of 2008, round trip from San Diego to Hawaii and I can hardly wait! Yes, the Emerald Princess really was a very nice cruise. The ship has everything. Some people complained that it is a big ship but this did not bother me or anyone else that we met. Celebrity is an excellent cruise line and so far you cannot go wrong with either the Emerald or Celebrity's Constellation. If there is a price difference of say more than $400 per person between cruises, I would go on the less expensive and use the money to upgrade to a balcony or mini suite.

You do not need a lot of clothes as there are self service laundries on the Emerald. Please participate on formal nights on whichever cruise you go on but this doesn't mean carrying a lot of extra clothes. I have seen several absolutely stunning Hawaiian dresses on formal nights.

As for airfare, make absolutely sure that you arrive in Fort Lauderdale at least one day before your cruise. Look at the travel websites to see who serves both Hawaii and Fort Lauderdale as it is best to stay with one airline. Do not automatically rule out the cruise line's air, because sometimes the airfare is reasonable. Transfers from the Fort Lauderdale airport to the port are either free (catch the shuttle by the car rental places at the airport) or by taxi (maybe $12 or so).

I am writing all of this because (1) you need help and (2) I am a great fan of Hawaii and its wonderful people.

Hope that this helps,

Fred

HI Fred and everyone,

Thank you so much for the Ft Lauderdale information. So far the airfare on Travelocity in $1100 out for both flights! This is amazing to me.

The The Costellation price is exactly $400 less but is 2 days shorter than the Emerald and 3 shorter than the Eurodam. It ends in Harwich which is good and bad. I will spend all I save to spend extra days in London but I would see London very well.

I just found out I lost my FCC on Princess, I thought we had a big OBC and DH has told me for years there was no deadline and it lasted forever, but I guess not. I am asking for an exception and if it is positive we certainly will go with Emerald.

Decisions decisions...

I am not sure what I will be up to in October, but if you need a tour guide and my employment remains flexible as it is now, I would be happy to help.

Sharie and Michael at massage@hawaii.rr.com. We now live on Oahu.

A hui hou!

Thanks for the suggestions, have read all of the reviews by ship and by destination. We have many hours of research, and because we know not everyone posts reviews, I thought I would check and see if there were other considerations to make concerning 09 spring or recent experiences that I may have missed.

I have a short list, and am currently trying to resolve an FCC issue with Princess and will decide what to do after I hear how they may resolve the issue.

Mahalo nui loa...

Archived