A Few Questions - New Cruiser

illin

Ok..these are all pretty unrelated...so please pipe in if you have any suggestions.

#1 - We got our cabin assignment on the Inspiration of E31 as a 6D. I nticed that we are right under the big lounge (the show lounge). Is that going to make sleeping an issue? My kids rack out early. Not sure how soundproof the levels are...should I request a lower floor if available? Do the PVPs care if we request another floor?

#2 - Is it unreasonable to ask the cabin attendant to make the room up twice? My kids and wife...and maybe me...are nappers. They all live the 1-3pm siesta...and I may join them this vacation. If we ask them...will they make up the room so it is clean and tidy when we get ready for our evenings?

#3 - I am leaving for Afghanistan after this cruise (joy!) and my wife thought that it would a great welcome home if we used the kids' spring break and took a 4 day March 2009 cruise right when I get home. If we book now, do we pay fully up front? Paying for two cruises in a couple weeks may be a bit much on the checking account... If we need to cancel way out (like 5+ months out) is there any "fee".

#4 - Lastly...that spring cruise would be on the Destiny. Good ship? I think the Inspiration is going to fit us well as a family...the Destiny looks sort of similar???

Thanks! This place rocks...sort of like asking the oracle. You post and BAM...answers in like 3 minutes...maybe less!

Ok..these are all pretty unrelated...so please pipe in if you have any suggestions.

#1 - We got our cabin assignment on the Inspiration of E31 as a 6D. I nticed that we are right under the big lounge (the show lounge). Is that going to make sleeping an issue? My kids rack out early. Not sure how soundproof the levels are...should I request a lower floor if available? Do the PVPs care if we request another floor?

How early is early? Odds are, the lounge will be quiet after 11:30. Maybe earlier. Also, your cabin isn't directly under the stage. but the seats. It'll be quieter than if you're under the stage itself. I wouldn't hold out much hope for them changing your cabin at no cost

#2 - Is it unreasonable to ask the cabin attendant to make the room up twice? My kids and wife...and maybe me...are nappers. They all live the 1-3pm siesta...and I may join them this vacation. If we ask them...will they make up the room so it is clean and tidy when we get ready for our evenings?

Not at all. In fact, they'll probably do so if they see the bed rumpled. Tell your steward what you're tellng us. Shouldn't be a problem. Might want to give them an extra tip at the end of the cruise for their extra work.

#3 - I am leaving for Afghanistan after this cruise (joy!) and my wife thought that it would a great welcome home if we used the kids' spring break and took a 4 day March 2009 cruise right when I get home. If we book now, do we pay fully up front? Paying for two cruises in a couple weeks may be a bit much on the checking account... If we need to cancel way out (like 5+ months out) is there any "fee".

Deposit [about $250/person] due now. Remainder not due 'til 12/08-1/09. No cancellation fee if you book thru Carnival and cancel prior to final payment being due. Same is true with most TAs. The ones that charge must note that somewhere

#4 - Lastly...that spring cruise would be on the Destiny. Good ship? I think the Inspiration is going to fit us well as a family...the Destiny looks sort of similar???

No experience on Destiny

Enjoy your cruise

Have a great cruise! Just keep in mind that your steward gets time off in the afternoons - he or she will tell you their hours when they introduce themselves. I think they've always told us 12-4 or 1-5 are their off hours. Our room has always been cleaned once in the morning and again while we were at dinner each night. :D

Have a great cruise! Just keep in mind that your steward gets time off in the afternoons - he or she will tell you their hours when they introduce themselves. I think they've always told us 12-4 or 1-5 are their off hours. Our room has always been cleaned once in the morning and again while we were at dinner each night. :D

Absolutely keerect.... They start early - about 8:00-ish and work until 12-1:00PM. Then return about 5-ish to tend to the evening "straightening"-and work until all the cabins are turned down, complete with chocolate and towel buddy. The hours they are not on the floor are attended to in an emergency situation only.

Just one correction, Jim. The deposit for a 4 or 5 day is $150/pp. That's makes the front end a bit easier!!

Mach

We have always been charged $800 for the deposit for 4 of us on our 5 day cruises. It's kind of nice, though, as when final payment is due I hardly notice it. We owe $291 on our upcoming cruise in October!

The Destiny is a bigger ship than the Inspiration. You should like it just as well as there are more dining options - alternate dining and more open decks to explore. :)

I paid $200 per person deposit too for a 5 nighter in Sept. THere should be no cancelation fees up to 75 days before the cruise I think is Carnival policy BUT if you use a Travel Agent some charge a fee themselves of $75 to cancel - expecially the online ones so check ahead of time if using a travel agent.

The cabin steward will do his best to help with any and all requests.

The cabin may be noisey - probably not a big deal but if you could change with no fee to a different location I might try it.

Thank you for all you do - going to Afghanistan!!

Humm... the last 5 day I booked was $150. That's been a while... Maybe Carnival decided to split the difference!

:confused:

From the current Cruise Vacations e-brochure:

3 day $100 PP

4 day $150 PP

5 day $200 PP

6-7 day $250 PP

8 day $300 PP

Alaska $350 PP

10 day+ $400 PP

specific European, S. American, and Canal cruises - $500 PP

Illin - Most of your questions have been answered. Yep, buncha good folks here.:)

• I've had cabin E1 on Sensation, directly below the stage, and no noise whatsoever.
  • The bedding is such that it's easy to quickly flop the covering back on the bed, making it neat enough. The stewards do need their time off.
  • Why not just let your wife make the 2009 cruise reservations when you're sure of your return date?

And - last but certainly not least - Thank you for your service to our country. Come home safely!

To Host Mach - I've done many 5-night cruises, and my deposit has always been $200.

Since you are new, I'd thought I'd mention Military Discounts in case you are not aware that Carnival offers them. It looks like Military rates are available right now on both of the March '09 Destiny 4 day sailings. Those fares are capacity controlled so they may not be available later. You TA or Carnival CSR/PVP would be able to verify that.

Thank you for serving, thanks to your wife for what she goes through, and have a great cruise.

I see everyone jumped on Mach on the deposit issue, yep $200 for a 5 day for me too in 2006 at least. lol

Hope you get the military discount.

They already make up the cabins twice, once in the morning and once in the evening. Actually all we do to take a nap is to turn down the bed a little. Just pulling up the bed covers to me isnt a big deal afterwards. You might be ok with that.

WOOHOO!

First, thanks to all for the comments!

I just got off the phone with the PVP and we are booked on the March 9th Destiny 5 day! The discount allowed us to get a balcony for a bit over two grand for the four of us...not a bad deal at all.

I saw a few other threads that mentioned that the military discount was not too substantial, but my two experiences booking have been quite the opposite. We saved over $500 on this one...could not be happier.

Plus she told me that the Destiny will be coming out of dry dock just prior, so it should be like a new ship. Awesome!

I'm in Afghanistan now and planning my cruise on the Legend for when I get back next May. Can't wait -- both to have my deployment over and to sail away.

Sounds like you are going to be on a 6 month deployment if you are going to be home by spring break next year. It shouldn't be too bad except for the fact that you'll be here in the winter -- brrrrr! Not sure if you have been here before or not, but the time will fly by. You'll be absolutely amazed.

Gotta agree on the military discount. I saved a great deal of money over the prices that I was originally quoted, etc. I am very thankful for that military discount.

Hope you enjoy your cruise and have a safe tour over here. Just think, I'll be here when you get here and I'll still be here when you leave! LOL

Take care,

Julia

I'm in Afghanistan now and planning my cruise on the Legend for when I get back next May. Can't wait -- both to have my deployment over and to sail away.

Sounds like you are going to be on a 6 month deployment if you are going to be home by spring break next year. It shouldn't be too bad except for the fact that you'll be here in the winter -- brrrrr! Not sure if you have been here before or not, but the time will fly by. You'll be absolutely amazed.

Gotta agree on the military discount. I saved a great deal of money over the prices that I was originally quoted, etc. I am very thankful for that military discount.

Hope you enjoy your cruise and have a safe tour over here. Just think, I'll be here when you get here and I'll still be here when you leave! LOL

Take care,

Julia

Yeah...was at the KOP the last time...back in 02. I always get stuck in FOBs for some reason...just luck of the draw. 180's are pretty easy...but they are starting to add up. We just broke the news to the kids that I am leaving and will miss Christmas again. My daughter asked "...but Santa still will come right? If not, then we have a problem." My son (now 10) is a trooper and asked if he could be the man of the house again. I am truly blessed.

This should be my last one*.

*Fingers/toes crossed.

Dare I say these deployments have been good for our relationship. Makes one really appreciate what is important and what is not. We have done a serious course adjustment (cruise pun) and we owe that to being apart. That being said, I hope to never see Iraq or Afghanistan again.

Be safe and enjoy your homecoming. After a 15+ monther (I assume)...it is well deserved.

Sean

Yeah...was at the KOP the last time...back in 02. I always get stuck in FOBs for some reason...just luck of the draw. 180's are pretty easy...but they are starting to add up. We just broke the news to the kids that I am leaving and will miss Christmas again. My daughter asked "...but Santa still will come right? If not, then we have a problem." My son (now 10) is a trooper and asked if he could be the man of the house again. I am truly blessed.

This should be my last one*.

*Fingers/toes crossed.

Dare I say these deployments have been good for our relationship. Makes one really appreciate what is important and what is not. We have done a serious course adjustment (cruise pun) and we owe that to being apart. That being said, I hope to never see Iraq or Afghanistan again.

Be safe and enjoy your homecoming. After a 15+ monther (I assume)...it is well deserved.

Sean

Hey, Sean. Not sure if you will see this or not, but wanted to send it anyway. It took me a while to get back here. As I'm sure you know -- internet connectivity is spotty at best here. But just wanted to let you know that I saw your message. That is fantastic that your deployments have helped your relationship. I can't say I was as lucky during my tour in Korea. My 10 year marriage came to a screaching halt. But, I believe it would have happened anyway. "What's meant to be will be" and all of that....

180 days isn't too bad. I'm already doing my count down -- 325 to go. LOL Being in a joint unit, most of the people I work with are Navy, Marines and AF and they are all on 180s so they just laugh at me when I announce my countdown at the staff meeting every Monday morning. :) It's okay though. I love my unit -- we are doing great things here and I love the people I work with, even if they do rotate out every six months. For the most part they are all a really decent crew.

Too cute (but heartbreaking) that your daughter asked if Santa will come. And I'm sure your little man does a fantastic job of being the man of the house. It's awesome that you recognize how blessed you are. But, you are right -- I could do with never seeing one of these places again.

Wish there were some way we could make contact so we could meet up when you get here. But, then again -- would depend on where you are going in country. Though I would venture to say that most inbound personnel at least come through here on their way to wherever they are going.

Take care and again, good luck. Stay safe.

Julia

Just a mention on the nightly schedule for the cabin stewards....

On the first day, when they introduce themselves, they will also ask you what seating for dinner you have.

This is when they will magically appear in your room to turn down your beds, change any towels etc... and straighten out if it is needed.

On the first day, we did tell them that we would be using the room during the afternoons for naptime, etc.. and they were wonderful.

Enjoy your cruise!

Cat

Archived