Coral or Island Princess Panama Canal Cruise

terry55

Planning ahead for a Panama Canal cruise in March or April 2010. :D The Coral and Island are two of the ships we're considering. Been on the Star and Caribbean Princess and was curious as to how they compare to them. The Coral is a full Canal transit, while the Island is a partial transit. Thanks in advance for any comments/preferences.

Planning ahead for a Panama Canal cruise in March or April 2010. :D The Coral and Island are two of the ships we're considering. Been on the Star and Caribbean Princess and was curious as to how they compare to them. The Coral is a full Canal transit, while the Island is a partial transit. Thanks in advance for any comments/preferences.

As far as I am concerned the Coral/Island ships are the best in the fllet. Just the right size(1950 passengers0. I have been on 6 cruises on the Coral so you can tell I like her. I have done the partial and full transit on the Coral and you will like this ship. Here is a site that might help you

http://mysite.verizon.net/res76zxu/princessbalconies/index.html

Marilyn

We've done the (3) partial transits on the Coral so far and doing the full transit on the Coral in September when it repositions from Alaska to Florida. The Coral is our favorite ship havent gotten to the Island yet but as one of the responders wrote both ships are the perfect size!

I've been on both, they are identical except for the crews. I had the same waiter for 5 cruises on the Island last year and the experience was unbelievable. I was treated like family, I've never had such great service. The Maitre D Ignacio is really wonderful, as are the head waiters. The same goes for the photography staff, they were wonderful to me. I love the Island Princess. Really great ship, perfect size and well designed.

I was on the Coral in Alaska, It was my first cruise and I got hooked bad! I think I booked 8 future cruises on that first cruise. I am going on another full Canal transit on the Coral next December out of Los Angeles. I love both ships. By the way, make sure when you are transiting a lock to go down to the lowest level (6) and watch the canal from below, its pretty cool.

I haven't been on many other Princess ships, once on the Golden and that really made me appreciate the Island and the Coral even more.

Amelia

Thank you all for your help!! We're leaning towards the Coral with the full Canal transit. One additional question (sorry!). We went on a Christmas cruise this past year and obviously had made a deposit early 2007. The deposit amount due percentage for Princess seems so much higher than before...did the amount due go up? Thank you again for all the positive feedback.:)

Yup The Deposits went up, I received this recently.

Reminder About Princess New Deposit Rules ~ For all new 2009-10 itineraries (stuff generally after May, 2009) Princess Cruises now requires a 30% of the cruise fare up-front deposit for all cruises and 25% up-front for all Cruise Tours. The amounts these are representing are staggering to those getting quotes for the first time.

We did the partial transit on the Coral and sorry we did not do the full one. The Coral was beautiful and we liked it much better than the Grand. Not as crowded for sure. Of course it is newer and prettier.

We are doing the Island over Christmas this year- it is a full transit of the canal. I'm looking forward to it. I did a partial transit and it jsut left me wanting more. Now I get to this December.

I find myslef reading everything aobut the Island to get as much information as possible!

Have fun choosing!

Gabrielle

Not only are deposits staggering, have you looked at the price differences between sailing this April and next April? The very same cruise, category and date is between $700 to $1,000 (depending on agency) more for 2 for next year. Now THAT'S staggering!!!!:eek:

Not only are deposits staggering, have you looked at the price differences between sailing this April and next April? The very same cruise, category and date is between $700 to $1,000 (depending on agency) more for 2 for next year. Now THAT'S staggering!!!!:eek:

I really don't know why you are surprised! Considering the price of gas has doubled in the past year.... the increase you are quoting sounds like a bargain to me.

I'm thinking that with gas prices rising, cruising will be even more of a bargain. When I start planning any kind of trip, I look at the cost per day for transportation, food, accomodations, etc. Cruising has always been a good deal IMO. Right now for us, the biggest unknown and apparent cost that is rising quickly is the air fares. So this might be our last cruise out of FL. I think we'll look closer at trips that originate from CA, so we can drive there instead of flying.

Archived