Newbie Questions

I have a coworker taking a cruise in September. She had a few questions that she asked my help in finding the answers since she has no internet skills. I found some answers on the RCC site. (She can't bring alcohol or an iron onboard, and she can't smoke in her suite only on the balcony).

What is the earliest time she can board? She will be on the Vision of the Seas on September 21.

Is there a Captain's party where there are free drinks like they have on Carnival?

Do suites did free laundry service like on some other lines?

Is there a coffee pot in her suite?

I think that's all of her questions. I, of course, forgot the list she had written at work.

Thanks for any help you can give her.

What is the earliest time she can board? She will be on the Vision of the Seas on September 21.

Is there a Captain's party where there are free drinks like they have on Carnival?

Do suites did free laundry service like on some other lines?

Is there a coffee pot in her suite?

I think that's all of her questions. I, of course, forgot the list she had written at work.

Thanks for any help you can give her.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. Generally boarding begins about 11am, sometimes a tad earlier but it can be later as well (i.e. if the ship arrives late or if any extra cleaning needs to be performed etc.).

There is a Meet the Captain event where typically wine, champage, and possibly a rum punch are complimentary. There is usually enough time to grab two or three drinks if you are diligent.

Not sure about the laundry. I am pretty sure that there are no coffee pots in staterooms due to potential fire hazard. Of the three cruise lines I have been on though, Royal Caribbean has by far the best coffee (provided you stay clear of the coffee in the buffet area).

At the Captain's Reception, many folks don't know there is an "open bar"--you can bypass the tray of drinks when you enter (if you don't want champagne or rum!) and get what you want!

Sometimes, on longer cruises, they will offer a "bag" of laundry--but not all the time. It's not free to suites.

Boarding usually starts between 11 and 12.

Yes, there is a Captain's Welcome Aboard Reception. They usually serve Champagne, Yellowbirds, fruit punch and a couple of other drinks.

No free laundry service even for suites.

Yes, there is a kettle for hot water and a french press to make coffee in the suites. They provide Seattle's Best coffee (both regular and decaf) and Tazo teabags.

There is really no need to have a coffee pot in the room as there is free, 24 hour room service available. Many of us put in an order for coffee and pastries on a slip to hang on the door knob at bed time, and it will be available when you want to get up in the morning. They call the room before they bring it. You can, of course, also place orders by phone.

Does this apply to Junior Suites as well or just above that?

Just Grand Suites and above EXCEPT on Independence of the Seas which I believe has the kettles in all staterooms.

Yes, there is a Captain's Welcome Aboard Reception. They usually serve Champagne, Yellowbirds, fruit punch and a couple of other drinks.

Yes, there is a kettle for hot water and a french press to make coffee in the suites. They provide Seattle's Best coffee (both regular and decaf) and Tazo teabags.

What night is the Captains reception? Is it during formal night?

That French press kettle was something I had never seen before! I had to ask my stateroom attendant to show me how to use it. It produced the strongest coffee I have ever had.....it was like syrup. I would rather have the room service coffee....it was much better.

At the Captain's Reception, many folks don't know there is an "open bar"--you can bypass the tray of drinks when you enter (if you don't want champagne or rum!) and get what you want!

Sometimes, on longer cruises, they will offer a "bag" of laundry--but not all the time. It's not free to suites.

This, I did not know. My last cruise on Navigator offered only champagne, or at least this was all I saw. It was held in the big Promenade, so there wasn't really a bar to bypass to. I'll have to remember this though, I'm not a champagne drinker. Reminds me of Easter Egg dye, that vinegary smell!

Archived