It costs so much to fly in a day early!

SAT NOV 8 MIAMI

Are there any clean, reasonably priced hotels that offer free transportation to their hotel AND to the cruise port?

If not to the port also, I'll settle for clean, reasonably priced and a shuttle to the hotel.

Even the "budget" chains want $125.00+ a night and reviews say they're dirty!

Marriott is $279.00!!!

Recommendations are appreciated.

I just used Hotwire and there's a 3 star at the Mia airport the night of the 8th for $65. With taxes and fee's that's only $79.43. There's a shuttle to the airport, and that leaves plenty of $ to grab a cab to cruise port (or hop back to the airport and use super-shuttle)

Also consider flying into Fort Lauderdale, airfares are usually cheaper and there is a "shared cab" service at the airport that will get you to the miami cruise port for <$20PP. Or rent a car and then there are plenty of hotels off the beaten track for less!

While flying in a day before can add a bit to your costs, it reduces your stress level so much! I used to say "why pay for the extra night at a hotel?" now I say "Day of? NO WAY!"

It is true that the budget motels are pretty dicey.On My last Miami cruise, we stayed at a days inn near the port. They did offer a free shuttle but that didn't make up for the nasty room. The previous year we stayed at Wyndham suites. It didn't cost too much considering that we split the cost three ways and the level of comfort and cleanliness was 100% better. It was a pleasure to stay there.

Good luck and enjoy:) .

I've already booked my flights and after I did, there was only ONE remaining seat for the flight home, so I'm glad I did.

Never used a bidding system - makes me nervous because you're stuck with what they give you - and it might be 20 miles away.

Any other ideas for a "sure thing" to book?

(Just leaving work -- hard to do much research at home as my computer has been acting up -- that's why I'm asking for your recommendations).

Thanks.

Look harder into the bidding system... you can choose the exact area you want to be in within the city and how many stars. Which narrows it down to a number of hotels - if you would be pleased with any of those hotels then it doesn't matter which one you get for the great price!

Guest carlogesualdo

Think how much it's going to cost if you don't fly in early and you miss your ship because your flight is overbooked, weather delayed, mechanical delayed, went into bankruptcy and folded, oh the possibilities are endless. That extra day is an insurance policy against having to buy a second plane ticket to the next stop (assuming you can get on another, possibly oversold flight), or worse, having to go home early and missing your cruise altogether. Now it's not just money anymore. You're already spending hundreds of dollars or more on a cruise. What's a few more for this?

I have used Hotwire and got GREAT deals.... Far less than going direct or to travel websites. I would personally NEVER, I repeat NEVER fly in the day of the cruise in todays environment. I'll pay whatever I have to for a hotel stay the night before. It is not only a safety net in case there are problems but that night before near the port starts relieving all the stresses that make the vacation so nice.

I've read positive reviews about La Quinta Inn Miami Airport East and they have complimentary shuttle service from the airport as well as to the port. I can't speak about it first hand yet but I'm going to try them prior to my next cruise. I booked for $89. If its not up to par I'll suck it up as a learning experience...its only for one night. There are several reviews on the Florida departure board and based on those reviews it looks like it could be a good choice.

Thanks....just got home and I'm making dinner.

For our previous three cruises we flew in the day of...never had a problem.

Last month, coming home flight was delayed 2+ hours out of Miami. That got us thinking. I buy insurance, which is about the cost of a hotel stay, but it would also be embarrassing, as well as heartbreaking, to miss the ship. That's why we're going in a day early this time. It's just aggravating that the good price of the cruise is negated by high hotel cost.

I'll read your recommendations over better after dinner.....thanks.

We are staying at the LaQuinta East in October. Got a rate on line of $99, but I got a government rate of $89. Has free shuttle from airport and to port. Stayed at a LaQuinta in Jacksonville April 2006 and it was great. Breakfast included. Have fun.

SAT NOV 8 MIAMI

Are there any clean, reasonably priced hotels that offer free transportation to their hotel AND to the cruise port?

If not to the port also, I'll settle for clean, reasonably priced and a shuttle to the hotel.

Even the "budget" chains want $125.00+ a night and reviews say they're dirty!

Marriott is $279.00!!!

Recommendations are appreciated.

Don't get discouraged and definitely check out Hotwire for a nice 3 star hotel. There are deals out there and you will arrive on the ship rested and ready to go by coming in a day early :D

We're using priceline for our november 5 cruise. We're leaving out of fort lauderdale so we picked the area of fort lauderdale beach to bid on. We got the Courtyard by Marriott on the beach for $85 per night. There are also separate "airport areas" you can choose to bid on.

I've used Hotwire....not the bidding part. You can narrow down the location. I always use just Downtown Miami and 3 or 4 star.

True...you don't know what you're getting, but I've gotten Hyatt Regency, Radisson and Intercontinental for under $100. I'm sure you'd be happy with any of these hotels.

I don't know where you're flying from, but I fly from MCI and it's always much cheaper to fly into FLL.

There's a shuttle service right outside the airport. Last time I used them, it was $18pp. Depending on how many in your party, might be cheaper to rent a car or use a car service and split the cost. There's lots of ideas over on the Florida Depature board.

I've used Hotwire....not the bidding part. You can narrow down the location. I always use just Downtown Miami and 3 or 4 star.

True...you don't know what you're getting, but I've gotten Hyatt Regency, Radisson and Intercontinental for under $100. I'm sure you'd be happy with any of these hotels.

You can take all the guesswork out of Hotwire by using http://www.betterbidding.com

When did they start doing this? We stayed there a few times and we had to pay for the taxi cab to the hotel, taxi to the ship and then taxi back to airport after. We we added all the transportation charges with the room rate we decided to look at other options this year. We did like the Bayside Market across which was convienent. Do you know if this is something they just started?

We're on the same cruise and we have Holiday Inn at the port. Free pickup at airport and free delivery to ship, $116 total.

We've stayed a couple of times at the Holiday Inn Bayside..It's across the street from the Bayside Promanade and harbor...just consider the extra night as an expense for going on a cruise...we lost one of my suitcases going down once and did not get it till we got to San Juan.......Dennis

We're on the same cruise and we have Holiday Inn at the port. Free pickup at airport and free delivery to ship, $116 total.

The Holiday Inn Port of Miami doesn't offer any type of shuttle service currently. If this is the hotel you are staying at you may want to double check that. Taxi to the cruise terminal from the hotel is a metered rate and can average from $13-and up depending on traffic and the time it takes to get you dropped off. The cost from Miami airport to the hotel on average runs between $24-$30 depending again on how the traffic is as this is a metered fare as well.

Archived