Never been...

deeolasingh

Hi,

NCL is totally awesome! But it is totally what you make of it. If you are picky and want to find flaws, you will, but you will on any ship. If you go with an open mind, and a free style mood, you will have a great time. Any cruise is what you make of it. Dont worry what other people do or dress like, go and have a blast. I have never been on a cruise that I did not like and NCL is one of my favorites. I have sailed the Dawn before and sailing again in a week (6/29) and nothing or no one will prevent that.

Go HAVE A GREAT TIME. HAVE A DRINK AND LISTEN TO SOME RAGGAE !.. LIFE IS GOOD !!

Kevin

:D

Hello Im a newbie to NCL and I would like to get the good the bad and the ugly on NCL... could someone please fill me in????

I see you are going on the GEM, so let me take the bad and the ugly....

amm...

mmmm...

sorry , that's about it...

You are going to find plenty of people to give you the negatives. Hopefully a few of us can give you the positives. I agree with the previous poster who said a cruise is what you make of it. Don't sweat the small stuff.. realize the cruise is YOUR vacation and it is up to you to make the most of it or to let others ruin it for you. That is true no matter what cruise line you are on.

Positives:

Great ships

Nice ports of call

GREAT crews

Lower Fares

Freestyle Choices

Negatives:

Some of the older ships could probably use a "new coat of paint" so to speak.. Ie. the Star. Love that ship, love that crew, but some things are starting to show some signs of wear and tear. Would still sail on here again in a heart beat just as she is.

The cruise always ends.. it doesn't last forever.. thats a huge negative for me on any cruise.. LOL

Not usually enough time in ports for me. However I see that as a trend with most cruise lines as they are trying to cut costs.

Good, bad, ugly, first there is no such thing as a bad cruise unless something unforeseen happens. There is also not many cruises that are perfect:

For whatever reason I am one that thinks NCL gets a really bad rap...We have cruised every mass marketed line and NCL is number one for us, with HAL being next.

With so many new ships, you can be assured to find many things to like, now 2.0 has been added which only can improve the fleet. You have your choice of almost any type of food, it is up to you whether you want to pay a little for something special or consentrate on what is included in the rate.

The cabins are standard in size, similar to RCI and Princess, smaller than Carnival and HAL. The service is as good as it gets except sometimes, because of no traditional dining you won't feel the pampered attention. For us this isn't an issure.

There is plenty to do, lots of activities if you look for them. Most NCL ships are very port intensive, more than some other lines.

We have always felt the staff and crew are the friendliest at sea.

If there are drawbacks, it might be the overall food though we have never had a problem. Actually NCL has the best Eggs benedict of any line we have cruised. The entrees can be on the small side. Ask for a second if you think, after apptizer, salad, maybe soup and whatever else that is offered you need something more. Not being a big dessert eater I can't judge them, but some say they are lacking in flavor.

Now, go and enjoy. Be sure to let us know how you enjoyed your experience. If it isn't what you had hoped, feed back is welcome as long as it is gentle....LOL

Nita

Good, bad, ugly, first there is no such thing as a bad cruise unless something unforeseen happens. There is also not many cruises that are perfect:

For whatever reason I am one that thinks NCL gets a really bad rap...We have cruised every mass marketed line and NCL is number one for us, with HAL being next.

With so many new ships, you can be assured to find many things to like, now 2.0 has been added which only can improve the fleet. You have your choice of almost any type of food, it is up to you whether you want to pay a little for something special or consentrate on what is included in the rate.

The cabins are standard in size, similar to RCI and Princess, smaller than Carnival and HAL. The service is as good as it gets except sometimes, because of no traditional dining you won't feel the pampered attention. For us this isn't an issure.

There is plenty to do, lots of activities if you look for them. Most NCL ships are very port intensive, more than some other lines.

If there are drawbacks, it might be the overall food though we have never had a problem. Actually NCL has the best Eggs benedict of any line we have cruised. The entrees can be on the small side. Ask for a second if you think, after apptizer, salad, maybe soup and whatever else that is offered you need something more. Not being a big dessert eater I can't judge them, but some say they are lacking in flavor.

Now, go and enjoy. Be sure to let us know how you enjoyed your experience. If it isn't what you had hoped, feed back is welcome as long as it is gentle....LOL

Nita

I think the major reason NCL gets a bad rap Nita is because it is different in many ways from the other cruise lines, just as the NCL ads suggests. :cool: Either go with the flow of Freestyle, or stick to the old fashioned, stuck in the mud. traditional cruise lines. :mad:

I think the major reason NCL gets a bad rap Nita is because it is different in many ways from the other cruise lines, just as the NCL ads suggests. :cool: Either go with the flow of Freestyle, or stick to the old fashioned, stuck in the mud. traditional cruise lines. :mad:

you could be right, add to that, until Star bought them, many of their ships (most) were bought from other lines so there wasn't a real feeling of any conformative. This isn't all bad, but for some it is. Of course most of us who know what NCL is all about realize they are pioneers as well. So many of their innoventions (is that a word?) have to be proven: first private island, first to do the Caribbean (I think) first with a alternative dining room, then came freestyle, plus other firsts.

Nita

you could be right, add to that, until Star bought them, many of their ships (most) were bought from other lines so there wasn't a real feeling of any conformative. This isn't all bad, but for some it is. Of course most of us who know what NCL is all about realize they are pioneers as well. So many of their innoventions (is that a word?) have to be proven: first private island, first to do the Caribbean (I think) first with a alternative dining room, then came freestyle, plus other firsts.

Nita

NCL also gets a bad rap because they try new things....

Everyone said that Freestyle wouldn't work, that people wouldn't go for no formal nights, that people wouldn't like choosing their dining times or paying extra for certain restaurants.

Almost every other major mass market line has copied large parts of NCL's Freestyle... they just call it different names..

Personal Choice on Princess..... copied from NCL

Portofino and Johnny Rockets on RCCL (extra charge restaurants)... copied from NCL.

Anytime Dining and As You Wish Dining on RCCL and HAL.... copied from NCL.

If copying is the most sincere form of flattery, then every other line is very respectful of NCL and Freestyle Cruising....

Nita

Very true Nita. In 2000, when NCL was bought by Star Cruises, this was the NCL fleet lineup.

SS Norway, bought used and refurbished twice.

Norwegian Sky, bought half built from Costa.

Norwegian Dream, bought new but later stretched.

Norwegian Wind, bought new but later stretched.

Norwegian Majesty, bought used but later stretched.

Norwegian Crown, bought used.

Norwegian Sea, bought new.

The Leeward, Dynasty, and Star (1) were all chartered from other cruise lines, and left NCL's fleet prior to Star Cruises purchase of NCL. The only ships that looked like one another were the Wind and Dream.

So, basically, the only ships NCL had finished building new for themselves were the Dream, Wind, Sea, and Sky. By the end of 10 years of Star Cruises ownership, the only one possibly ship remaining in NCL's fleet will be the Sky, and that's assuming Star Cruises doesn't sell it before January 2010. Note: The Sky's itineraries are only posted up to April 2009. Who knows if it will be still around by this time next year? Star could sell it tommorrow for all we know. Although I think NCL could use her for a few more years profitably.

Nita

Perfectly said, Nita

thanks for the replies.... I totally agree there is no bad cruise or vacation for that matter... I remember when I booked carnival destiny and I started hearing all the bad and ugly on it I thought to myself what have I gotten myself into. I must say that was one of my best vactions ever.... and princess was just diffrent but just as good... Im so looking foward to this cruise I want to try all the cruise lines if you know what I mean:D

thanks for the replies.... I totally agree there is no bad cruise or vacation for that matter... I remember when I booked carnival destiny and I started hearing all the bad and ugly on it I thought to myself what have I gotten myself into. I must say that was one of my best vactions ever.... and princess was just diffrent but just as good... Im so looking foward to this cruise I want to try all the cruise lines if you know what I mean:D

The Gem is a beautiful ship, it would be hard NOT to like it:-)

We have only cruised NCL - (8 X's in the past 4 years). Until they give us a reason to jump to another line...we'll stay with NCL.

Not sure about Carnival or Princess (with the exception of what I've heard and read)...but be prepared for a much more informal dress code, a great staff and crew and a very "sad" day departing the ship...I never want to get off their ships;)

Have a great cruise!

if your the independant type..like making choices..you ll have a blast

..there s alot of activities to choose from..and eat at anytime, any

place your in the mood for..

the most hilarious comment..came from a old HAL cruiser..*when

the hell are we suppose to eat*..:confused:

a great staff and crew and a very "sad" day departing the ship...I never want to get off their ships;)

Have a great cruise!

Ive only been on two cruises but I exprienced the very "sad" departing day both times:)

and I had a blast on both cruises they were very different but still awesome....

I cant wait til I get on the Gem... I would have loved to try and sneak one in before february but we just got back from St thomas our bff got married there and we decided to make it a vacation... it was nice but nothing like a cruise....

Very true Nita. In 2000, when NCL was bought by Star Cruises, this was the NCL fleet lineup.

SS Norway, bought used and refurbished twice.

Norwegian Sky, bought half built from Costa.

Norwegian Dream, bought new but later stretched.

Norwegian Wind, bought new but later stretched.

Norwegian Majesty, bought used but later stretched.

Norwegian Crown, bought used.

Norwegian Sea, bought new.

The Leeward, Dynasty, and Star (1) were all chartered from other cruise lines, and left NCL's fleet prior to Star Cruises purchase of NCL. The only ships that looked like one another were the Wind and Dream.

So, basically, the only ships NCL had finished building new for themselves were the Dream, Wind, Sea, and Sky. By the end of 10 years of Star Cruises ownership, the only one possibly ship remaining in NCL's fleet will be the Sky, and that's assuming Star Cruises doesn't sell it before January 2010. Note: The Sky's itineraries are only posted up to April 2009. Who knows if it will be still around by this time next year? Star could sell it tommorrow for all we know. Although I think NCL could use her for a few more years profitably.

I think the Sun falls into that inbetween catagory as well. SHe was purchased (my understanding) about the same time as the Sky but was only barely started. I would love to see the Sky or another ship sail out of Houston.

Nita

Why the anger? IMO, it's not an either/or proposition. We like both very much. While we really like NCL's Freestyle, we're okay with traditional as well. We don't tend to plan our days around meals anyway, so as long as a ship has alternative dining to the formal dining rooms, we're covered. We typically go for the less formal options on traditional lines and are happy to see more of them adding anytime dining options for the dining rooms. We like the other aspects of Freestyle cruising too. We like the resort casual attire; we like having choices about what, where, and when. But we can also find plenty of choices and options on traditional lines. In fact, I found the first bunch of Freestyle commercials rather insulting of the traditional lines. Yes, traditional dining is an "eat here at this time with these people wearing this kind of clothing" deal in the formal dining rooms, but the commercials went so far beyond that to include every aspect of the cruise. I get that it's advertising, but IMO (and only MO), they were excessive in basicaly demeaning people who enjoy the other lines.

However, we don't cruise on lines that require formal attire throughout the ship at night and that have no casual dining venues. OT, I've always wondered how some of the ships can have casual dining options, but still insist that all pax be formally attired around the ship. Are those who choose the casual option supposed to teleport from and to their cabins so as not to "offend" the formally dressed pax? Or maybe they're supposed to do like the servants of old did and take some sort of hidden back stairs. Then there is the question of how you can stay formally attired and, for example, go for a swim. Where your suit under your tux perhaps? But I digress...

I think that in many cases it's a matter of perception as well as what line someone tried first. There are the inevitable comparisons, especially when a first cruise is a really good one (which is usual). I have a hard time with the questions of "I love cruise line A; will I like cruise line B?" because it's impossible to answer. I know what we like, but can't tell others what they will enjoy. I am so tempted to answer: I don't know, will you?

I've seen plenty of bashing of a cruise line on the other forums. In fact, there are even NCL fans who routinely bash other lines. I simply don't see the benefit in that. Why should we pick just one line or just one style? I guess we really are cruise line sluts because we have no true "loyalty" to only one line.

beachchick

Why the anger? IMO, it's not an either/or proposition. We like both very much. While we really like NCL's Freestyle, we're okay with traditional as well. We don't tend to plan our days around meals anyway, so as long as a ship has alternative dining to the formal dining rooms, we're covered. We typically go for the less formal options on traditional lines and are happy to see more of them adding anytime dining options for the dining rooms. We like the other aspects of Freestyle cruising too. We like the resort casual attire; we like having choices about what, where, and when. But we can also find plenty of choices and options on traditional lines. In fact, I found the first bunch of Freestyle commercials rather insulting of the traditional lines. Yes, traditional dining is an "eat here at this time with these people wearing this kind of clothing" deal in the formal dining rooms, but the commercials went so far beyond that to include every aspect of the cruise. I get that it's advertising, but IMO (and only MO), they were excessive in basicaly demeaning people who enjoy the other lines.

However, we don't cruise on lines that require formal attire throughout the ship at night and that have no casual dining venues. OT, I've always wondered how some of the ships can have casual dining options, but still insist that all pax be formally attired around the ship. Are those who choose the casual option supposed to teleport from and to their cabins so as not to "offend" the formally dressed pax? Or maybe they're supposed to do like the servants of old did and take some sort of hidden back stairs. Then there is the question of how you can stay formally attired and, for example, go for a swim. Where your suit under your tux perhaps? But I digress...

I think that in many cases it's a matter of perception as well as what line someone tried first. There are the inevitable comparisons, especially when a first cruise is a really good one (which is usual). I have a hard time with the questions of "I love cruise line A; will I like cruise line B?" because it's impossible to answer. I know what we like, but can't tell others what they will enjoy. I am so tempted to answer: I don't know, will you?

I've seen plenty of bashing of a cruise line on the other forums. In fact, there are even NCL fans who routinely bash other lines. I simply don't see the benefit in that. Why should we pick just one line or just one style? I guess we really are cruise line sluts because we have no true "loyalty" to only one line.

beachchick

I wasn't bashing the other cruise lines. I was bashing and angry at those who wished or assumed NCL did what the other cruise lines do, and bash NCL because they are different.

How many times have you read here someone suggest NCL reserving one main restaurant for traditional dining? To show how bad these traditional folks bash NCL, they automatically assume the only free restaurant that doesn't require reservations aboard NCL ships is the Buffet. You and I both know that's not true, that you can just arrive at the main restaurants at any time; yet these traditional cruisers who rate NCL ships 1 star and 2 stars in the review section of this web site state this very reason 90% of the time for their poor ratings. It is enough to make anyone angry reading their reviews so full of falsehoods! As the white fish swimming in the opposite direction in the logo below; NCL is the square peg on a board with round holes, NCL is different.

Whereas I agree that many activities on cruise ships can be seen across cruise lines, some things on NCL ships are different. NCL's Freestyle Dining is very different at the basic level than Princess' Anytime Dining, or what any other cruise line does. And we need to keep the truth flowing here. Sweeping it under the rug does not do a great service for cruising newcomers nor cruise line switchers.

I think the Sun falls into that inbetween catagory as well. SHe was purchased (my understanding) about the same time as the Sky but was only barely started. I would love to see the Sky or another ship sail out of Houston.

Nita

Since it usually takes two years or more to build a new cruise ship, including purchasing steel plates, engines, and other equipment before the keel is laid; that the Sun did entered service in 2001 means NCL had ordered it before Star Cruises bought NCL. But it wasn't finished, and not quite in NCL's fleet yet.

I also hope NCL returns to Houston soon. But I'm not very encourage it will be the Sky, although I believe it could compete in that market. As I have written before, Star Cruises still has the Sky up for sale, and NCL's posted Sky cruises end next spring, whereas every other ship in the fleet that hasn't already been sold to another cruise line have cruises posted to spring 2010, a full year longer.

Of course, NCL could continue to bare back lease the Sky for a long time to come. But, if that was NCL's plan, one would think NCL would post Sky sailings for summer, fall, and winter 2009 soon. Where would NCL sail the Sky next summer? Will they keep Sky in Miami throughout the entire year, even during the hot summer season, or possibly reposition her to someplace cooler? How far in advance do you think NCL should schedule the Sky? 6 months, a year, or two years?

I think a great itinerary for the Sky for summer 2009 would be to return a 10-11 day Alaskan itinerary, from either Vancouver or Seattle, visiting less popular Alaskan ports such as Sitka again. If the Sky is successful financially with 3 and 4 day Bahamas sailings from Miami, I don't see NCL repositioning the Sky to Houston. The best hope I can see for Houston is waiting for the new F3 class ships to make other ships available for homeports like Houston and Charleston, for the winter season starting in 2010.

When I read this I had to chuckle to myself because that is exactly what we said when we sailed NCL the first time.. We wanted to try all cruise lines. We still keep saying we want to try Celebrity, Princess, and yes..I even want to try ol' stick in the mud HAL some day. If we ever win the lottery, even Crystal. What made me chuckle when I read your posting was how we sat out wanting to try them all and have stuck with NCL. I guess that says something for NCL.

As strange as it may sound, I really do agree with thing every one has posted on this thread. I am kind of like BeachChick in that I like both styles.. Freestyle and the more Formal. Notice I said I, not we.. because I think my DP would never choose a formal cruise over Freestyle, but to each his own, I guess. 8-)

• Administrators

Oh, I know what you mean! The odds of us ever being "Platinum" on any cruise line are somewhere between slim and none... but we are "past guests" on most of them (Princess and Celebrity are the only "mainstream" lines we're missing at this point). We cruise for itinerary and price, in that order, and so we just aren't "hooked" on any one brand. We just experienced the best service I've had to date on any ship, on Holland America, but still overall felt that the experience confirmed our thinking that for us, and for the reasons we choose to cruise, the mainstream lines are more alike than different in the fundamentals, and we don't base our cruise travel primarily on the cruise line. I enjoyed the different level of service offered, and the additional things that were included on our HAL cruise, but I'm eagerly anticipating our next NCL cruise in April as well, which will be our first 2.0 experience, too.

Spending money on travel is discretionary -- you should spend it as you like, after doing some comparison and research to figure out what it is you do like. But nobody here knows what's best for you and your party, preferences, interests, etc. It could be you'll be like us and be quite happy booking a cruise on any line going where you want to go, so I'm a big believer in giving it a try and not relying on reviews/opinions of anyone but you in making that call. Have a great trip!

We had never thought about trying other lines - or even cruising, for that matter.

Then along came NCL....(not to mention that all the kids were grown and FINALLY out of the house! LOL)

NCL fits our more 'laid-back' lifestyle.

We are definitely much more 'blue-collar' than white and not overly social.

We are sociable , but just not extremely social.

We could not imagine 'dressing' for dinner every night...and eating at a certain time...with a table full of people we didn't know (I know, just friends you hadn't met yet...). We would not be comfortable with that. Don't mind dressing up once in a while..just not every night.

That just didn't sound like a relaxing vacation to US. To us that would feel so 'fake'.

However, we LOVE NCL. Yes, there are always minor issues, troubles, things not exactly perfect. But it's your attitude about it that will make or break the vacation for you.

Enjoy NCL!! and cruising!:)

I wasn't bashing the other cruise lines. I was bashing and angry at those who wished or assumed NCL did what the other cruise lines do, and bash NCL because they are different.

How many times have you read here someone suggest NCL reserving one main restaurant for traditional dining? To show how bad these traditional folks bash NCL, they automatically assume the only free restaurant that doesn't require reservations aboard NCL ships is the Buffet. You and I both know that's not true, that you can just arrive at the main restaurants at any time; yet these traditional cruisers who rate NCL ships 1 star and 2 stars in the review section of this web site state this very reason 90% of the time for their poor ratings. It is enough to make anyone angry reading their reviews so full of falsehoods! As the white fish swimming in the opposite direction in the logo below; NCL is the square peg on a board with round holes, NCL is different.

Whereas I agree that many activities on cruise ships can be seen across cruise lines, some things on NCL ships are different. NCL's Freestyle Dining is very different at the basic level than Princess' Anytime Dining, or what any other cruise line does. And we need to keep the truth flowing here. Sweeping it under the rug does not do a great service for cruising newcomers nor cruise line switchers.

Ah, okay. Your :mad: was toward those who bash NCL because it's not the same as the traditional lines and because it's unique. I still maintain though that there's no need to make it either this or that without the option for both.

And you know that there are NCL fans who are very negative about their cruises on other lines solely because those lines are not like NCL. IMO, that's really no different from the traditional fans bashing NCL. Although quite a bit of it is personal preference, a fair bit seems more like outright animosity. I find that unhelpful and unnecessary.

We haven't had any issue with Freestyle dining, but I do think that not all those who report long waits and the inability to get any reservations are lying or making something out of nothing. I think NCL could do a better job of clarifying Freestyle dining. Although how anyone can think that "where you want, when you want" has no limitations (and then comes here an whines or complains or flames) is seriously deluded. Do these folks not understand physics and simple logistics? Do they not see that the only way to have unlimited "when you want, where you want" dining is for every single venue to seat the entire compliment of pax and to be fully staffed at all times. Then even if all 2,000+ pax want to dine at the same place at the same time, no problem. People need to realize that Freestyle is about choices, and not a free-for-all.

Anyway, thanks for clarifying the angry face. That makes more sense.

beachchick

Archived