Who to book with??

marine2531

Hi All;

We are looking at the Insignia 12/8/08 Rio de Janeiro to Buenos Aires cruise.

Who should we book with?..Oceania directly or thru a TA?

Are the cruise prices the same & what is the advantage of the TA

I'm not sure if TA names can be posted, but if they can a recommendation would be appreciated.

Thank you

You basically have three options.

1. Book with Oceania. One good thing is that if there are problems, it is "their fault" and should take care of it. But, it is the highest price option.

2. Book with a good brick and mortar travel agent. Key is to find one that is good and you actually get something for the money you are paying them. You can possibly negotiate a discount with them but don't bank on it.

3. Book with an online agent. You can find numerous online agents that range from full service to just booking agents. Some agents that you find here on Cruise Critic are very good and will give some discounts or onboard credits. You can also do an Google search to find other companies that offer less services but also give a lower price. Basically it depends on how much help you need. Before you choose an online agent try and do a BBB search and check them out. Some are good and some have a bad history.

HMMM I was under the impression (misguided maybe) O is like RCCL with booking arrangements they are not allowed or discouraged from discounting prices for O cruises.

However TA's can offer incentives such as OBC.

Everyone pays the same price depending on the time of booking EG:earlier = better price than last minute

I prefer this method I think if you book early you should get the best price & not have to worry about the price going down each week like some of the other cruise lines JMHO

Lyn

I know many people that have received a significant discount on Oceania cruises through an online agent. The discount they received was on the order of 9-10%. Of course this will vary significantly with the agent you select and if you take air or not.

As for prices changing, I do believe that O will rarely, if ever, reduce the price of a cruise as time goes on.

Lyn- I believe the discount some TA's offer comes out of their commission- not O's rate, so you are right, O doesn't offer discounts. I have been getting 5% off, which works out to about the same as free gratuities. Of course the discount is off the cruise fare only, and doesn't include port charges, taxes, etc.

I've also booked directly with TA when there were some specials, such as air, included and I couldn't match it myself.

For North Americans air is included from Oceania (in most cases) so it is not really a perk from the TA

Archived