Any Brits been on the Emerald?

ayr625

I am particularly interested in the electrical sockets in the cabins. We have an inside cabin and were wondering how many sockets there are and do we need an adapter? If so - what type?

Any other tips or things we should know about an American ship would be appreciated.

Thanks

I personally haven't been on the Emerald but my parents have and you have to use an adapter plug. They had their cabin steward finding plug points for them and basically you have a point in the bathroom and a couple behind the beds ( I think you may have to unplug the lamp).

Depends how many plugs you need on the caribbean princess I only used it for my i-pod and using my hair straighteners :D .

Hope that helps

The info should be found in the Princess equivalent of a cruiseline "know before you go" booklet which will be sent to you. It is usually headed "electrical current" or similar.

If you find you have the wrong adapters with you, ask at the pursers deck. They usually have adapters which you can borrow. As there is often a deposit to be paid on these, remember to unplug them and return them to the pursers desk before leaving or your deposit will be charged to your onboard account.

(We have, in the past, arrived with 2 pin plugs with pins which were flat when they should have been round or vice versa):confused:

Just back of the emerald and only wall sockets are usa type, simple thing we do is to take one adaptor and a srip plug ( white thing with 4 uk plugs and lead on it ) about £3 in bq or similar places, that way you can plug your camera, ipod phone or whatever in at the same time

I take it that it's safe enough to use a strip plug. Can you tell me whether the wall sockets take 2-pin round or flat pin plugs?

Did you enjoy the Emerald - is there anything I need to know?

Thanks

Hi There,

Doing third Cruise on Emerald in a few weeks,

Would not use a strip,

Why do you need so much power ?.

Emerald is a fine ship but very large, has many great spots on it but best you find these for yourself, if there is anything you need an answer to then just ask.

yours Shogun

a strip plug is the answer and for charging things its perfectly safe, there are usa flat pin plugs above the desk, ipods pones all take a hour or two to charge so doing them one at a time you will feel like you are on a chargig duty

We had 3 phones, camera, and video recorder to charge on Emerald (last week) didn't find it to be a problem just using the socket above the desk, as and when necessary. Took my British hairdryer which was a complete waste of time as it was virtually unusable, had to rely on the one in the stateroom.

You will just need a USA adaptor for your British plugs.

We loved Emerald on our first cruise with Princess last September. I didn't take a 'ganger' as I used the hairdryer in the cabin. I charged my camera overnight and my mobile on other occasions. We don't have a video recorder so I suppose you might need more sockets if you do have one but we found the sockets in the cabin to be ample for our use.

Emerald is a fantastic ship and we throughly enjoyed our Grand Med cruise.

Strip plug ganger what ever you call it is great for charging phones, cameras etc. We use our phones for the alarm so needed to recharge – yea I know the phone in the room can be set but we prefer our mobiles and with a video and a camera to charge you can plug them all in and hey presto all done.

I agree with Londonlady your UK hairdryer and tongs are no good unless you like your hair a certain way :eek: a little tip Wal Mart is just a stroll from the Intercontinental I bought a US hairdryer and tongs a couple of years ago really cheap especially with the $ v £ and you’ve got them for years

The Emerald is a lovely lovely experience enjoy. We were on her in Feb and loved every moment:)

Ahh! I see!

No, we are flying from Manchester to Venice on Sunday doing the Grand Mediterranean cruise and flying back from Barcelona (no hotels involved).

I went to Argos today and bought a set of world voltage tongs so hopefully they will work ok.

Ayr625, we did the Grand Med from Venice to Barcelona last September. It was a fabulous cruise and if you want anymore info just ask. Leaving Venice was a very emotional time for us and we were up on deck for this, don't miss it. We did all our trips with Princess, every day too. We missed Istanbul as I was ill.

Thanks for that Mrs2cats. Will be sure not to miss leaving Venice.

Don't know if we can afford to do every trip with Princess as we are a family of four and it will be too expensive for us but I'm sure we will still enjoy it.

Was unsure about currency to take ( lira in Turkey?) but have just decided to take Euros and hope they will be accepted in Turkey.

Unfortunately we will miss Barcelona as our flight times have been changed and we fly back at 10am on the morning we dock there. :mad:

I am reading the Titan airlines page at the moment trying to find whether liquids, lotions, gels etc can be taken on the aircraft. Probably ok in the hold? :confused:

I see someone has already said that you can use Euros in Kusadasi. We flew with Titan airways, good food, more leg room, free drinks and real crockery (including an individual tiny cruet set!). You can take liquid cosmetics in your hand luggage, but they have to be in a clear bag and you can only take a small amount, not sure how much. Just pack it in your suitcase out of the way. Shame you won't get to see any of Barcelona, our flight was 4pm back to Manchester so we did the half day trip.

If you want me to give you any more detailed advice if you are happy to let me have your email address and I will help all I can. Another good idea is to hang one of those plastic shoe holders inside your closet area, not just for shoes but other odds and ends.

Ayr - By the way don't forget to take you camera up on deck when you leave Venice. We were given this advice as we left Venice directly after the Muster Drill and some forgot their cameras. Buy plenty of memory cards if you have a digital camera, although they are pretty cheap on board.

Archived