floridians i want to move there please help

I would be inclined to agree with you. I've vacationed on the gulf coast since I was a kid, had grandparents in Hollywood, my parents lived in Boca Temporarily, and I myself lived in Hollywood and worked in Pompano. My son went to Full Sail College in Winter Park,just outside Orlando, needless to say, we've spent a ton of time in Florida. Outside of the keys, I wouldn't give you 2 cents for the south of Florida any more. Boca is toffee nosed, they all think they're too good for the rest of the world and the are is run by condo commando's or neighborhood associations that determine what color your trash can is, how long it can stay on the street and what length of grass your lawn needs to be cut to!!! NO LIE!

I think the other poster had a great idea, rent and check out some areas before you commit. Some people find the change too extreme, some can't handle living with a group of predominently New Englanders and Hispanics, no offense meant to anyone! But I've found people uncomfortable with the lifestyles because of this. Some hate no change of seasons, some get tired of the large senior or transient communities. There are lots of bums in FL and every other divorcee I know ran there at least for a while to blow off some steam and when they regained their senses moved back to a 'normal' world. Florida is what you make if it, just do your research and choose carefully. Real estate is not cheap and you will pay big bucks for a hole in the wall. It's all the price of being close to the beach.

Good luck.

tinsel57

Hi,

Just two words: HUNTER'S CREEK. Great schools. Southern Orange County between the Airport & Disney. Being a former Long Islander...this is the place.

Marc

Sovereign of the Seas 7/1/89

Sunward II 10/6/89

Nieuw Amsterdam 1990

Fantasy 7/9/90 12/26/99

Horizon 8/4/90

Ecstasy 7/7/91 2/12/01

Regal Empress 9/6/93

Dreamward 6/29/96

Nordic Empress 6/13/99

Triumph 10/7/99

Vision of the Seas 3/11/00

Destiny 8/3/00

Carnival Pride 5/25/02

Millennium 3/2/03

Zenith 5/10/03

Summit 10/10/03

Infinity 6/20/04

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sunlovey:

my parents live in lake wales, which is central florida right between orlando and tampa.... its charming. small. close knit. and still affordable!

i just can't imagine moving here and not living by the beach.... i can never move away from the ocean after living here in s. florida since '94.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My inlaws just bought a place in a retirement community near Lake Wales. We loved the area and are thinking of relocating there, too. I was just wondering about the schools in that area. Do you have any info. on them?

Sovereign of the Seas 3/04

OK...I'm really starting to feel like the last man standing...since I was 5, I've battled my parents to move back to Florida...to no avail. Now that I'm 32...there have always been things to get in my way...parent's illnesses, etc...well we are moving there in 5 years...and nothing is going to stop me this time. But...the same people, that have been trying to convice me for years, that Florida is too HOT...to this and to that...are all buying houses and moving down....BEFORE ME!!! I'm really jealous. My brother just called me yesterday to say that he bought a house while visiting down there in Davenport...and my other brother bought a condo in Naples. That is it...I'm going to atleast buy land and get my little piece of heaven down there!!! OK just sharing guys!!! Honestly...I think I'm down to 2 blood relatives up here now!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=e9967a&cdt=2004;4;19;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

until my Majesty of the Seas cruise!

Carnival Inspiration - June 2003

RCCL Monarch of the Seas - July 2002

Like Angel said, our corner of NE Florida is pretty nice. But if you are looking at the quality of the schools, I would definitely lean towards Clay County as opposed to Duval. Our public school system leaves something to be desired. And the private school tuition is skyrocketing with the demand. Other than that, this is a great place to live. icon_cool.gif

Sovereign 6/02

Voyager 9/03

Mariner is so far away.. [countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=CD20CD&cdt=2005;6;12;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500 ]

Sweetone-

I am a product of 6th-12th grade in Lake Wales... (We moved from Raleigh, NC when I was 11.)

My mother is the art teacher @ Hilcrest Elementary in Lake Wales and her school is in the process of going charter. Once this goes into effect it will be a school of the arts for children K-5. This school will have great access to the beautiful Lake Wales Art Center

(www.lakewalesartscenter.org) which is within walking distance with great facilities and exhibits. To attend this school you would live in the area surrounding Lake Wales lake.

I personally attended Babson Park Elementary which is a great little school right on Crooked Lake. Many try to move to this area to attend this school.

I do not know how the middle school is fairing these days, but many of my friends/classmates are now teachers at the High School.

Put it this way, several friends of mine got into very prestigious colleges after schooling in Lake Wales. I personally chose (or should I say my parents chose!) to go to Palm Beach Atlantic University, a private Christian college in West Palm just two hours away from Lake Wales.

Tampa stinks. Sarasota is so very much nicer. Tampa thinks it's this great city when 2/3 of it should be bulldozed. Port is busy but due to the Skyway bridge the large ships cannot go under it. Florida schools are notoriously under par. A class size ammendment was passed that will be imporssible to fund and the governor is trying to get it back on the ballot to rescind it as well as the billion dollar bullet train from Tampa to Orlando and Miami. Summers are hot but there isn't any snow so we accept that. You just stay in the air conditioned spaces. Access to beaches is about 45 min. to an hour from Tampa. Sarasota is very close, 10 minutes. Bradenton is very nice.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ffff&cdt=2004;6;13;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500 till Mariner

Queen Elizabeth 1963

Florida 1966

Mardi Gras 1980

Holiday 1982

Tropicale 1999

Pride 2002

Grand Princess 2003

Mariner 2004

I work in Boca Raton (commuting from Lake Worth as previously mentioned) and YES it is chock full of snooties in the "Winter" if you can call it winter here- as I sit at my desk staring out to big beautiful palm trees and a bright blue cloudless sky...it's like 75 degrees, going up in the 80s by the afternoon. During lunch I often have lunch down by the ocean in Delray Beach.

The shopping here is great, the beaches are endless, the restaurants offer so many options, the summers ARE hot, but that is what the ocean and many swimming pools are for... It's paradise. I can so get over the snotty people, bad drivers and retirees in a place like this, I've done it for 10 years!

Cruisin Marc says<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Hi,

Just two words: HUNTER'S CREEK. Great schools. Southern Orange County between the Airport & Disney. Being a former Long Islander...this is the place.

Marc <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Hey Marc the house we bought is right across OBT from you in Falcon Trace.

<p style="font-family:lucida calligraphy;font-size:110%;color:black">Felix K. ~~ fk89@yahoo.com</p><p style="font-family: palatino linotype;font-size:120%;color:black"> Carnival Inspiration 8/97

Carnival Fascination 11/22/98, Thanksgiving ~~ S. Caribbean

Sea Princess 11/20/99, Thanksgiving ~~ W. Caribbean

Dawn Princess 11/19/00, Thanksgiving ~~ E. Caribbean

Adventure Of The Seas 11/17/01, Thanksgiving ~~ S. Caribbean

Radiance Of The Seas 6/15/02 ~~ Alaska

Radiance Of The Seas 11/23/02, Thanksgiving ~~ S. Caribbean

Monarch Of The Seas 5/8/03 ~~ W. Caribbean

Grand Princess 11/23/03, Thanksgiving ~~ W. Caribbean

Star Princess 11/28/04, ~~ E. Caribbean

[This message was edited by nyrfan on 04-08-04 at 10:46 AM.]

All the talk about the heat cracks me up! I have never thought it was that hot there, humid yes, but not that hot.

Come to TExas where it's 110* every summer, and over 100* for three months at a time. Now you're talking hot!

Besides, if you are lucky enough to get place on the beach you always have that great breeze. When I lived there I lived on a condo on the beach and RARELY had the ac on. Just opened the windows, had a cross draft and ceiling fans. It was very comfortable.

We almost puchased land two years ago and while I am glad we didn't (for a number of reasons) the downside to not purchasing in the increase prices this year. I believe another poster mentioned the increase in the Melbourne area.. the're correct. It's nuts.

And Last Person Standing, you will not be the last since you're goal is to move in 5 years, I will still be behind you as it will be 10 years for me unless fate intervenes and money falls in my lap. Hubby retires in 10 years and we can't duplicate his job in FL, so here we are.

If you are capable and you are in an area with enough traffic to support it, you can buy now and then lease. It's a tad of a hassle and you have to get a management company involved to maintain and clean, etc., but it would be a way to buy at today's prices when you're plan it to move in the future.

tinsel57

Are you going insane?????? You want to leave the refreshing cool air for the mosquitoe and humidity infested area???? ACKKKK

I would give up Houston's humidity and HEAT any day!!! The heat is terrible and it only gets worse!!!

What I wouldn't give for a nice COLD christmas for a change instead of heat ackkkk.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;3;6;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Navigator of the Seas/Western Caribbean 03/06

What a great thread -I'm going to incorporate the word "cruise" within my question so the thread doesn't disappear !

We have decided to moved to Fl. in the next year or two. We want to live in a gated community --- we are thinking about Ocala and the "On Top of the World" community.

We have heard and read wonderful things about this community. And it sure would make it a lot easier to get to the Florida ports and save on airfare everytime wecruise!

Does anyone have any (first or second hand info) about gated communities in the Ocala

area --- or a 100 mile radius? We are looking at moderated prices --- which On Top of the World offers.

We are close to 60 --- I'm a retired ICU RN and my husband would work part-time he does consulting work for Federal and State Prison systems.. He is a Therapist and he works with dual diagnosed - violent sex offenders. But,he would go back to Family Counseling -part-time.

Would appreciate any help in making a decision. We will be in Florida in Nov. after our Transatlantic cruise on the Splendour of the Seas.

Thank,

Cheryl and Ray

Thanksgiving on the Splendour

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;11;13;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

<marquee width = 45%> Splendour of the Seas Nov/13/04 ---Zaandam Jan/04---Grandeur of the Seas May/03</marquee>

Kapeluza you do indeed have my sympathies. Houston is the armpit of Texas when it comes to weather! You get pummelled by the rain and since you're a concrete jungle it has no where to go so you get massive flooding. I would think you'd be looking to move ANYWHERE!! LOL! This coming from an Austinite!

But then you are closer to cruise ports!

tinsel57

crp1-Hi ! I live in Dunnellon which is just south of Ocala. OTOTW is a very nice place...gets bigger every day! My parents bought a place in Spruce Creek Preserves and they LOVE it! My mom is busy 24/7 and Dad golfs 3 times a week...I am sure OTOTW is pretty much the same. Also..have you looked in The Villages? They have a website at Thevillages.com

Song of America 1996 spring

Song of America 1996 fall

Song of America 1997

Song of America 1998

Soveriegn of the Seas 1998

Monarch of the Seas 2001

Zandaam 2002

Mariner of the Seas 12/14/2003

Mariner of the Seas in

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;04;25;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

crp1-
I used to live in Ocala when I was a kid. It's really a pretty place. My Uncle lived there for years after he retired. He lived in the Fort McCoy area and it was sooo quiet there. I don't know much about the gated communities there, but I cannot believe how that place has grown over the years! It amazes me every time I pass through there! I think you and your husband would LOVE that area.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sunlovey:
Sweetone-

I am a product of 6th-12th grade in Lake Wales... (We moved from Raleigh, NC when I was 11.)

My mother is the art teacher @ Hilcrest Elementary in Lake Wales and her school is in the process of going charter. Once this goes into effect it will be a school of the arts for children K-5. This school will have great access to the beautiful Lake Wales Art Center
([url="http://www.lakewalesartscenter.org"]http://www.lakewalesartscenter.org[/url]) which is within walking distance with great facilities and exhibits. To attend this school you would live in the area surrounding Lake Wales lake.

I personally attended Babson Park Elementary which is a great little school right on Crooked Lake. Many try to move to this area to attend this school.

I do not know how the middle school is fairing these days, but many of my friends/classmates are now teachers at the High School.

Put it this way, several friends of mine got into very prestigious colleges after schooling in Lake Wales. I personally chose (or should I say my parents chose!) to go to Palm Beach Atlantic University, a private Christian college in West Palm just two hours away from Lake Wales.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have been doing research on the LW area and saw that their schools would probably be Charter Schools by next year. I'm not really familiar with them, but it sounded really exciting. I think my 10 year old would love it! I really like the area around "Spooky Hill". (Yeah, call me weird, but it's pretty! LOL!) I just couldn't get enough of that orange blossom smell while we were there and my kids loved being able to play outside and not have to wear their winter coats! The only problem might be my husband finding a job close to home. He's a Computer Network Engineer, so we may have to look more towards the Orlando area.

Commuting to orlando or tampa is pretty effortless if you don't mind the drive (from lake wales) either on HWY 60 (to tampa) or HWY 27 (to orlando). I have friends that do it.
I was just home for the Lake Wales Art Show two weekends ago and the orange blossoms were in full bloom and my gosh, there is truly no scent like it.... mesmerizing! Spook Hill Elm. is very good too. I guess they're all good if I think about it... well I don't know about Janie Howard Wilson or Polk Ave. but a lot of my mom's friends teach at Spook Hill.

Commuting to orlando or tampa is pretty effortless if you don't mind the drive (from lake wales) either on HWY 60 (to tampa) or HWY 27 (to orlando). I have friends that do it.
I was just home for the Lake Wales Art Show two weekends ago and the orange blossoms were in full bloom and my gosh, there is truly no scent like it.... mesmerizing! Spook Hill Elm. is very good too. I guess they're all good if I think about it... well I don't know about Janie Howard Wilson or Polk Ave. but a lot of my mom's friends teach at Spook Hill.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I, personally, don't think it would be that bad of a commute, either. I'm not sure what he would think, though. I noticed a couple of new family-type communities that were being built in the Spook Hill area and they looked quite nice. I like the fact that the area is close to everything, but not right in the middle of everything.

[B]Thank you - kruz and sweetone -[/B] for your input. We have read (online) many good things about that area --- but we will also checkout the Villages.

Cheryl and Ray
[B]On a beautiful mountain ridge in WV[/B]

Thanksgiving on the Splendour
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;11;13;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
<marquee width = 45%> [B]Splendour of the Seas Nov/13/04 ---Zaandam Jan/04---Grandeur of the Seas May/03[/B]</marquee>

We were also looking to purchase a house in Florida. It would be a second home and was just wondering what a good area is too buy in. We looked in Englewood, Port Charlette, Naples, Tampa and Ft. Myers Areas. We really want canal front with ocean acess, but we have looked at everything. Any one know a good place to buy????????

15 Cruises since 1999

Jewel of the Seas.. Scandanavia/Russia
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2004;5;28;17;00;00&timezone=GMT+0000[/img]

i am so thrilled that so many of you have taken the time to answer my post. the info has really helped me. as far as work i currently attend rhode island college with a double major elementary ed/ special ed and phyc. i am a waitress now while i am going to school so i hope for a job in any of those fields. my fiancee is a resturant manager at DENNYS any of those in florida? he could probably get a transfer. i have been searching real estate, and i cant believe that everyone thinks that prices are sky rockrting in florida. you cant get a house up here for under 200,000 and that is like a simple ranch style house that 5 years ago would have been worth 80,000. i think that my post has helped answer other peoples questions as well, so let me as well mention crusing. if i live in florida i dont have to pay the 300 dollars for a planr ticket, so that means more crusing for us!!!!!!
thanks aqain everyone
audra

wedding cruise Mariner of the seas nov 28,04
Majesty may 03
voyager jan 01
nordic empress jan 99

I agree with several other people...I have lived in many places all over the U.S. Many of those where in different parts of Florida. We just moved back to Florida this time to Melbourne. It is the best place by far!!! Schools are A schools and a wonderful place to rear children!!! Five stars for Melbourne!!! Also close to cruise ports.

Big Red Boat
Royal Majesty
Royal Majesty
Sensation
Sensation
Big Red Boat
Majesty
Ecstasy
Ecstasy
Century
Celebration
Horizon
Destiny
Mercury
Century
Voyager
Zenith
Mercury
Horizon
Galaxy
Summit
Horizon
Galaxy
Century
Mariner

Now my two cents...

My boyfriend and I moved to FL in 1998 when we were both in our early/mid-20's - from NJ/NY. We had no family down here and had no clue where to live - also no jobs and very little money! Almost 6 years later (moving a lot for my bf's very successful job) we have lived in quite a few different places:

98-99 - Titusville in Brevard County: pluses: cost of living was low, near the beach; minuses: the job market wasn't very good - had to commute abt an hour to get to work (each way)
We worked in Daytona Beach - this is an area where I would move back to. There is Ormond Beach, New Smyrna Beach and Ponce Inlet. A good job market, and again the cost of living isn't super high (like it is in some places like Naples and Boca Raton).

99-01 - Jacksonville - This has been voted one of the best job markets in FL as far as growth. A lot to do as far as activities and culture - but it gets cold there. Jax is, in my opinion, very conservative and religious. As far as schools, their high school Stanton consistently ranks at the top for public schools in US News/World Report, as does another school whose name I forget.

01 - Gainesville - don't move here - it's far from the beaches and a college town, although I'm sure their elementary schools would be good; a lot of culture

01-present - Polk County (Lakeland and Winter Haven) - This is rural FL - cattle and oranges. Pluses: can easily commute to Tampa or Orlando without having to spend a lot of money to live in those areas - homes here are cheaper. Cost of living is low, but there's not a lot to do (we drive to Orlando almost every weekend). The beaches are at least 45 minutes away, but we get oranges here pretty cheap. If I had a kid here I would send them to private school (just personal opinion - nothing against the teachers just the funding).

Don't expect the people in the South to be much like the people up north unless you move to South FL.

Good luck!

Archived