Need Info for Bus to Paynes bay (beach)

LaPetiteNancy

hello

can someone tell me what bus I need to take if I want to go to Payne's bay beach?

I want lots of details on where to go to take that bus from the cruise port, what's the name of the bus terminal

how long it should take (for the walk from port to terminal and the drive from the terminal to the beach)

how much it cost

do they accept USD or I have to buy tickets or something (and if the case, where do I buy the tickets?)

I would love to see a map with the route highlighted if possible

I hope I am not asking too much

thanks in advance

Nancy

• 2 months later...

OK

I have looked and searched alot since my last post

I think I found a way to go to Paynes Bay by bus..

I would have to go to the Princess Alice Terminal and take route 1A at 8:45am, 10:30am or 11:45am since I will be there on a wednesday..

or it looks like I could take route 1CB also at 8:30am, 9:30am, 10:30am ...

am I correct?

I found a map of Bridgetown (I beleive we dock there) can you tell me if the Princess Alice terminal is "A" "B" or "C" on this map? I would think it is "A"

bridgetownaxx9.jpg

If I am not correct or if there is another way to get there (by bus) please let me know

and please can you tell me how to get back to the ship? is there a bus stop in front of the beach?

thanks in advance

Nancy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

We got back from Barbados a couple weeks ago and took a bus to Payne's bay area. I didn't study your maps, but your directions sound right-- basically, just exit the cruise terminal and walk down the highway a short ways - probably about .5 mile-ish? You'll see the bus station on your left, with lots of city buses parked there. If you go in, you'll see a ticket station, where you can exchange American money for bus tokens. You should get tokens for the way there and the way back. It'll be a total of $1.50/pp (pretty good deal for a beach/snorkeling day!). Ask the person at the token booth which bus to take (someone mentioned 1A - I think that's the one we took). You'll want to take a bus that says it's going north to Holetown. You'll see street signs once you're on the bus that give you a pretty good indication of where you are, if you have a map handy. I think the ride up there was approx. 20-25 minutes. We just asked someone on the bus which stop we should get off at for Payne's, and everyone was very helpful and friendly. On the way back, we caught a bus right away - just go to a bus stop and look for a bus headed to Bridgetown (I think sometimes the signs at the front of the bus are marked "B'Town"). Overall, it was pretty easy, and definitely a less expensive way of getting to the beach!!

thank you very much cruisebay32!

that's exactlt the kind of answer I was looking for

you're the best!

so did you enjoy payne's bay? I know others have not enjoyed themselves..

thanks again for your infos!

thanks alpmac too for confirming that my route sounds OK

hello sailerwife!

I know I have not been there much, you all seems to know each other and I don't want to intrude..

and with my english not being my first language, it's not always easy

But I read you guys often,

don't worry.. I'm there in spirits ;)

I can't wait to cruise this itinerary!

byebye

Nancy

Hi Nancy,

Sure-- hope it helps! We liked Payne's bay area but it wasn't our favorite beach we visited - mainly because of the many locals trying to sell their jewelry, rides on their jet skis, etc. We probably had 5 different vendors try to sell us rides on their jet skis, and then they all got mad at us when we went with a different person. It's not a very relaxing beach for that reason. But it's pretty, and it's a great place to go if you want to swim out from shore to snorkel with the turtles, which is what we wanted to do. We were actually at Blue Monkey beach, which I think it right next to Payne's. If we're ever in Barbados again, I think we might try Crane. Enjoy, whatever you end up doing!

thank you very much cruisebay32!

that's exactlt the kind of answer I was looking for

you're the best!

so did you enjoy payne's bay? I know others have not enjoyed themselves..

thanks again for your infos!

thanks alpmac too for confirming that my route sounds OK

hello sailerwife!

I know I have not been there much, you all seems to know each other and I don't want to intrude..

and with my english not being my first language, it's not always easy

But I read you guys often,

don't worry.. I'm there in spirits ;)

I can't wait to cruise this itinerary!

byebye

Nancy

Hi Nancy, yes we know each other from our cruise in February, but we all like new people to join us, your English is just fine, my son-in-law is French as well as my Mother-in-Law so to me your English is Great, my French is none,we are all looking forward to this cruise, I am looking into Hotels for the night before and they are all expensive as it is Presidents week, so maybe we will do priceline, anywaydrop a line to say Hi,

Have a good day

sailorwife

Joan 1(I am as there is another joan and she is 2)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Lapetitenancy, We are also from quebec, Sherbrooke. Why did you choose Paynes Beach? Merci for the maps. We are trying to do each port on a budget so this will help and be an adventure taking the bus too:) Have you heard of Malibu Beach? This will be our first time in Barbados........looking for a nice beach to read a book and chill. ?????

• 1 month later...
Hello Lapetitenancy, We are also from quebec, Sherbrooke. Why did you choose Paynes Beach? Merci for the maps. We are trying to do each port on a budget so this will help and be an adventure taking the bus too:) Have you heard of Malibu Beach? This will be our first time in Barbados........looking for a nice beach to read a book and chill. ?????

Hello GLCAS,

sorry I missed your message

I chose Paynes beach because I want to swim with the turtles and I read somewhere that catamerans tour take the people to that beach, to swim with the turtles

so by going to that same beach, I can swim from the shore, to where (or close) the catamerans stop to feed the turtles, and I can swim with them too without the cost of a tour

I will bring my 2$ water matress (as I always do) and floating devices for me and my kids so we don't have to swim all that hard

we already have our snorkeling gear

so that day shouldn't cost us a whole lot! and that's what I am looking for

I have heard about other beaches, but I don't think I can swim with turtles there so I stopped reading when I found this place. LOL

is the trip in 24 days, the trip to Barbados?

Please come back to share with us what you did, how you liked it

have a nice day

Nancy

• 2 weeks later...

is it possible to enjoy Paynes Beach and go to Brighton using public transport (bus) all on the same day? We are on NCL from 9am-6pm and would love to see both places. or could we substitute or even add Crane? hmm too much?

Archived