Rotterdam Transatlantic

lgdavies

We're thinking about booking a cabin on the May 16 09 Rotterdam Repositioning cruise. We've never done a transatlantic cruise and are wondering if the least expensive Outside (Cat H) which is in the bow section might be a risky choice if the seas get rough...looking for any advice you can give...thanks for responding.

I've done two trans-At round trips on the Rotterdam (northern route). I'd say that if having a bumpy ride would be more than you can bear, then don't risk it---take a more mid-ship location. I was near the bow area in very rough seas. It was not nice for a while there, while I was fine in a mid-ship lounge.

There's always a chance of rough seas in the Atlantic.

Or, are you feeling lucky?

Oh, and the Rotterdam is a beautiful ship. This is one nice cruise you're looking at.

Hi, I booked this cruise. I did a similar one a couple years ago, and the seas were quite rough a few days. I think it was like 15-18 feet. Many were in their cabins. In your case, I would recommend a mid ship cabin. C’mon, insides aren’t so bad. ;):)Hope you can join us.:cool:

Mark….

The Rotterdam is "smaller" only by other cruiseline standards; for HAL it's a medium size ship.

As to calmer waters---

All water moves, so has the potential to get rough. The calmest waters, however, would most likely be found in more sheltered areas. The Caribbean and the Inside Passage of Alaska come readily to mind.

The Rotterdam is "smaller" only by other cruiseline standards; for HAL it's a medium size ship.

As to calmer waters---

All water moves, so has the potential to get rough. The calmest waters, however, would most likely be found in more sheltered areas. The Caribbean and the Inside Passage of Alaska come readily to mind.

The Baltic can be very smooth, also. The Car. can get rough if there is a huricane within 500 miles or so, so pick the time of year.:)

The Caribbean and the waters around the British Isles have been the roughest we have encountered. In 22 days in the Mediterranean, we only had one day when the captain even contemplated deploying the stabilizers. If you're looking for calm seas and a wonderfully romantic, historically rich, fascinating itinerary, I would strongly recommend the Mediterranean.

The Caribbean and the waters around the British Isles have been the roughest we have encountered. In 32 days in the Mediterranean, we have only had one day when the captain even contemplated deploying the stabilizers. If you're looking for calm seas and a wonderfully romantic, historically rich, fascinating itinerary, I would strongly recommend the Mediterranean.

My wife and I did the Rotterdam Lisbon to Rio repo cruise last fall. The entire cruise was like a pond. No hint of waves or storms. We have done three transatlantics and two had perfect weather. The last in March of 2008 was kind of bumpy but very enjoyable. All outdoor decks were closed for many of the sea days because of the wind and spray.

Whomever was speaking about the calm waters in the Med ... it is not always that way. Several years ago I saw the food fly off the tables in dining room and the water drain out of the pools. The incident was significant enough that the Captain immediately came on loud speaker to reassure the passengers that all would be well within the hour as he made adjustments to water balast. And sure enough, it was.

You pay your money you take your chances. And every day at sea is wonderful!!!!! Have fun. Life is an adventure.

Archived